Join our zoo community

Movie review rant 2020

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TheMightyOrca, 7 Jan 2020.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Doctor Strange
    I wasn't sure I was going to like this movie, my family hates it. While it does suffer from too much much action (the final fight drags on forever) the plot is decent and the visual effects are amazing. Probably the weakest of the Phase 3 movies so far but not bad.

Next Review: Thor: Ragnarok

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Prediction: "worst movie so far, and not at all funny".

SpinyLiving, Mr. Zootycoon and Brum like this.
  3. birdsandbats

Thor: Ragnarok
    By far the best Thor movie, possibly best MCU movie so far. I laughed at pretty much every joke, the plot was pretty good (aside from the terribly generic villain) and the final fight scene was exactly as long as I wanted it to be. This movie would be vastly improved if the Hulk wasn't in all the promotional material, if I hadn't known he was in this movie that would have been a great surprise.

Next Review: Avengers: Infinity War

4. Chlidonias

What have you done with the real birdsandbats?

5. birdsandbats

The movie just had the right cover this time.

6. birdsandbats

Avengers: Infinity War
    This is the first movie where I actually enjoyed all the fight scenes. This movie has some geat jokes and some emotional scenes. And I loved that Thanos actually has motivations other than "I'm evil and I'm going to take over the world". Other than that, this movie is okay. A lot of it seems a bit rushed and there are lots of flaws in logic. I'm looking at you, Steven. Seriously, his powers are supposed to be limitless, right? They why didn't he turn Thanos into a pile of spaghetti? I'm not a fan of the ending, either, and this movie also cements my hatred for Peter Quill.

Next Review: Ant-Man and the Wasp

Last edited: 20 Aug 2020
  7. Chlidonias

Who is Steven?

8. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Steve (sic) Rogers, aka Captain America?
    Or Dr. Stephen Strange?

9. birdsandbats

Dr. Strange. Didn't think about the fact there were two Steves.

10. Batto

There were not. One is a Steve, another a Stephen. And no character is called Steven. :p

11. Chlidonias

Okay, so if you are talking about Dr Strange, then the movie very clearly explained why he couldn't "just end it" with his "limitless powers" as you describe them. Dr Strange looked into all possible futures and saw that only one course of action would result in a win. It doesn't matter if that is just a screen-writers ploy, within the context of the movie's plot it means that he couldn't just "turn Thanos into a pile of spaghetti" because he knew that would result in failure.

Batto, SpinyLiving and Brum like this.
  12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a history nerd too and personally I thought it was an excellent film.

From start to finish the narrative was engaging and moving and the cinematography was just mind blowing.

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. birdsandbats

Ant-Man and the Wasp
    Ant-Man and the Wasp is weaker than most of the Phase 3 movies but still better than most of the movies in the first two phases. The biggest problem I had with this movie is that it seems much more serious than the first movie - this almost doesn't feel like a comedy at times.

Next Review: Captain Marvel

Brum likes this.
  15. Batto

Which could be contributed to the fact that MCU movies are, despite a varying amount of humor thrown in between the many action scenes, not primarily comedies.

Based on previous reviews, let me guess: you're going to love Captain Marvel, in particular due to Brie Larson's vivid emotional, charming acting and impressive variety of facial expressions.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2020
  16. birdsandbats

I don't know if you could say that. Movies such as Ant-Man, Thor: Ragnarok and both GotG movies are classified as comedies. A serious plot doesn't really change that. In fact, I would say Infinity War felt more like a comedy than A-MatW.

17. Chlidonias

So who has watched The Old Guard on Netflix?

I watched the Honest Trailer for it a couple of weeks ago, and thought it looked interesting and it seemed to be getting comments and reviews mostly along the lines of " a pretty good re-imagining of Highlander". Today I got a chance to watch the movie.

I thought it was great. The action was well-done, the story was good, you feel invested in the characters and care what happen to them. My main criticisms were firstly in the awful music choices - just weird electro-pop rubbish playing over everything - and secondly how the ending of the movie just undid the "that was a good movie" vibe by making it feel like it was really a pilot for a tv show. I do think it would make a good tv show - like the Highlander tv series did because it allows a lot more exploration of the characters and their backstories - but it ruined the movie overall with the ending they gave it. Apparently there is a sequel maybe going to happen though.

18. Batto

Classified by whom? First and foremost, they are examples of the American superhero movie genre (which is even confirmed by their respective Wikipedia articles). And with the classification of Infinity War as a comedy, you're even more out on a limb than usual. ;)
    @Chlidonias I've only read the ongoing graphic novel series it's based on. I liked it at first, but it has started to bore me as it continues.

19. birdsandbats

Category:Superhero comedy films - Wikipedia

Note the inclusion of the two MCU spider-man films, as well as GotG 1&2, Thor: Ragnarok, and both Ant-Man movies. Most people I know consider these movies to be comedies, as well.

20. Batto

@birdsandbats yet first and foremost, they are superhero movies - not just mere comedies. And Infinity War certainly isn't a comedy. Something "most people you know" will have to admit.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2020