Join our zoo community

Multi-million pound wildlife attraction set for Cuningar Loop

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by OrangePerson, 19 Apr 2013.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry if this is old news!

Multi-million pound wildlife attraction set for Cuningar Loop

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

'Glasgow Wildside' is the proposed name. At the risk of having a grumpy old man moment, I think it sounds awful, like a second rate themepark or something.

Just call a spade a spade.

3. kenspeckle

kenspeckle Active Member

Here's a frustrating blurry site plan. Very hard to make much out but I think the three large buildings are labelled Temperate, Tropical and Polar. On other enclosures I think I can just about make out a few - Hoofstock, Aviary, Gorillas, Hyenas?

[​IMG]

Cuningar Loop will be a pretty spectacular location, bounded on both sides by the River Clyde.

[​IMG]

The surrounding area is undergoing massive regeneration. You can see the Commonwealth Games Athlete's Village taking shape at the top and lefthand side of the above picture. The top end of the loop is currently being landscaped as a park.

4. bigcat speciali

bigcat speciali Well-Known Member

Old news and was dropped some years, now seems to be back on the talking platform. Glasgow Zoo West of Scotland Zoological Society had this idea as they had monies left over from the old zoo site sale, no idea what happened to all that money though as the society had monies but could not keep it as it was under the Charities Commission of Scotland rules. Anyone else know, please let us know...

5. mattmcg83

mattmcg83 Member 10+ year member

In 2010 there were talks between Zoological Society of Glasgow and West of Scotland and Royal Zoological Society of Scotland to sell the remaining land from the old Calder Park site. The society Supposedly still exists a decade after Glasgow zoo closed however who remains on the board is unknown.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If this went ahead, would there be parking and access problems? The built-up area looks like it blocks access to an extent. A footbridge from the other side of the river might be possible- are there any access roads nearby?

7. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

The trustees of the Zoological Society of Glasgow and West of Scotland agreed that the remaining assets of that Society transferred to RZSS for the establishment of an animal visitor attraction in Glasgow or failing that within Scotland. Following finalisation of the Glasgow City Local Plan, which identified Calder Park as suitable for housing development.

8. kenspeckle

kenspeckle Active Member

I don't think access and parking will be a problem at all. I can't imagine Hilton would be considering building a hotel as part of the project if there were!

Looking at the masterplan, road access and car parking will be in the SE of the site. There's a junction on the M74 about a mile or less from there.

As part of the project on the north end of the loop to create a park/urban woodland they are building a pedestrian bridge that links to the Commonwealth Games Athletes Village and the redeveloped Dalmarnock Station. From the bridge, a footpath would run down the west side of the site to the main entrance.

9. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. mattmcg83

mattmcg83 Member 10+ year member

I attended the public consultation tonight and its looking good. Imagine The Eden project in cornwall with animals inside and your certainly thinking on the right track. 3 Biomes each representing a different environment complete with sights, sounds, smells and animals.

This Link takes you to the official website

Wildside World Limited - Homepage

The link below will take you to a slide show of the full plans for the attraction.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

"Temparate zone"?

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just want to see a decent zoological collection, back in Glasgow as has been mentioned on the site before, one of the largest cities in Europe without a zoo!
    This endeavour should be supported, but like so many major zoological plans in the UK, i will hold my breath.
    I would like to meet the person that stuck a photo of a pronghorn into the presentation!!!!

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Projected to open roughly at the same time as Islands at Chester, but I doubt if they can do it as quickly as that.

Alan

14. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

good video, Looks great. Can anyone read the descriptions on the map?

15. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

This project looks very exciting. The team behind Yorkshire Wildlife Park are dynamic and progressive, and as long as the planning application is granted, I see no reason why they won`t deliver and succeed. They have proved that with YWP, which has in itself gone from strength to strength in a very short time indeed. So good luck to them.

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I see manatees getting a mention in there.

19. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Manatees! I didn't see that on the first read, I will be queueing at the door if they get them.

20. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And squirrel monkeys, how exciting.