Join our zoo community

Multiple species exhibits

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by FelipeDBKO, 20 Mar 2016.

1. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Let's talk about some cages, created by us or not. We will discuss the mix right or not. Some of my exhibits:

ENDANGERED AFRICA: Endangered african herbivores. Example:
    Black rhinoceros, Rothschild's giraffe, Grévy's zebra, Giant sable antelope, Addax, Scimitar-horned oryx...

SMALL LAKE: Some semi-aquatic animals. Example:
    Malayan tapir, Capybara, American beaver, Asian small-clawed otter, Mandarin duck...

CONGO FOREST: Congo forest ungulates and primates. Example:
    Okapi, Bongo, Mandrill / African forest buffalo, Bonobo

MOUNTAINS: Mountain caprids and monkeys. Example:
    Alpine ibex, Gelada / Markhor, Hamadryas baboon

COLD WATERS: Emperor penguin group and Beluga whale.

2. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I personaly don't like mixing animals from different taxa in the same enclosure, neither that been case with ungulates. Instead, I would love to provide multi-parts enclosures for every taxa. Eg. 3 x 900.0 square metres enclosires for giraffes, another 2 x 400.0 enclosures for zebras, etc.

I know that somewhere tried even mixing white rhinoceroses with cheetahs (Attica zoological park - Greece, and they were successfull at that). Or orangutans with siamangs (San Diego zoo)

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Black Rhino doesn't mix well with most anything. Nor does Grevy's Zebra. There are no Giant Sable in captivity.

What does mixing animals from three continents teach the guests?

Okapi with like-sized animals is not a good mix. Bonobo with anything isn't good.

Again, mixing animals from 3 continents. This teaches nothing.

Mixing poles together. Also penguins=whale food.

4. FelipeDBKO

Haven't Berlin zoo Giant sable antelopes?

5. jbnbsn99

No. Lisbon may have had them in the 60s, but none anywhere now.

6. FelipeDBKO

Hm... But anyway, it isn't impossible.

7. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Various mixed species suggestions appear to be possible -in theory. Whether they work in reality outside the realms of Zoo Tycoon and the fantasy zoo section, is a very different matter.

Otherwise-what jbnbsn99 wrote...

8. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bonobos have been found to sometimes hunt smaller primates so like chimpanzees it's not a good plan to mix them with monkeys or prosimians. I personally like the idea of monkeys and smaller/larger ungulates though; like the De Brazza's monkeys/mandrills/red river hogs exhibit at Bronx.
    I do wish that these exhibits you suggest were feasible in real life; they sound really awesome :)

9. ShonenJake13

Also if the alpine ibex were replaced with Nubian ibex and the markhors with rock hyraxes you'd have a decent mixed exhibit :)

10. ShonenJake13

And the beluga and penguin enclosure isn't too bad an idea. Admittedly it is mixing of species from two opposite ends of the planet, but belugas haven't been recorded feeding on birds like orcas so there you go.

11. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Unfortunately, DeBrazza's haven't been seen for years so esentially it's just a RRH/Mandrill and sometimes they aren't even on-show together at the same time!:p

12. Nikola Chavkosk

How you mean, there are no DeBrazza's in US?

In Europe there are 40 zoos as holders for this species, on ZTL.

13. ShonenJake13

savetheelephant means that the De Brazza's in the mixed exhibits haven't been seen for years.

14. FelipeDBKO

I have not talked about mixing bonobos with other primates, I talked about mix bonobos with ungulates. I think that colobus monkey are also a good idea to mix.

15. FelipeDBKO

Mixing species from different places will not affect the education of anyone (although it is good to try to mix species of the same place).

I did not understand the problems you might have with the okapi, if you can tell me...
    And would not try to make this mix with bonobos in real life. Although I think that, in a large exhibit, has no problem mixing them with large ungulates.

Belugas are whales, but don't kill penguins for food. Perhaps by stress.

Some ideas are strange, so I want to know the opinions of the others. I will not put very obvious things like "zebra, gazelle and wildebeest".

16. ShonenJake13

I apologise, I thought you said mandrills and bonobos.

I think in a huge scale exhibit (so something like the Safari at Burgers' Zoo, but forest instead of plains) could potentially house okapi, red duiker, crested guineafowl, bongo, red buffalo, red river hog, bonobo, western lowland gorilla, and maybe a few species of monkey (mandrill, colobus, De Brazza's and agile mangabey). That would be my dream at least, I'm aware it's not possible. :D

17. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Take out bonobos which hunt smaller mammals just like chimpanzees do, and perhaps okapi as too sensitive and guineafowl as vulnerable to mandrills, and the rest should fit together. At least one collection in Spain has gorillas, monkeys and antelope together in an exhibit which is not 'huge' at all.

I dreamed about similar exhibit based on 'bais' clearings in Central Africa. It is great to read that somebody invents a new kind of exhibit, not just replaces ones found in other zoos.

18. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To further specify I'm referring to the Congo Gorilla Forest at Bronx

19. jbnbsn99

Okapi are sensitive animals. They are usually housed singularly. Even with other okapi they can be stressed out.

Whales are carnivores. All of them.

As for the role of education, that is the zoo's main purpose. Telling a made up story about animals existing happily from all over the world is a piss-poor way to run a zoo.

20. Nikola Chavkosk

However in the wild, animals mostly don't live in such overcrowded places, so close each other, and mixing with animals from different taxa. I think it is better they to have possibility to see/hear/smell (but not touch or taste :p ) some other animals, what they are doing, but in neighboring enclosures.

But do not forget that as part of stimulation of behavior, it should be introduced animal products/excreta from different animals, in the enclosures, like hair or feces from ungulates - in a carnivore enclosure, or smell/scent (hair, urine/urinated substrate, feces, saliva...) from one okapi - in the enclosure with other okapi, and this for okapis just like example.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2016