Join our zoo community

Music at zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by jbnbsn99, 26 Jul 2009.

1. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I have a simple question to pose to the forum. What is your take on having music at a zoo? Now I don't mean for a special event, but more like background music. I have been to several zoos that do this and my gut reaction is to say that I'm not in favor of it, but maybe someone on here thinks it's a good idea.

2. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

Hmm, Don't really see the point of having background music at a zoo either unless somehow it fits with the exhibit. But the Fort Worth Zoo, for example just has 1 musical track playing all day at the entrance, really doesn't contribute anything and I doubt anyone really notices it...

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

My local zoo (Greater Vancouver Zoo) has annoying music playing from a couple of speakers right near the entrance. When they have their raptor show they blast a few tunes, and I am adamantly opposed to the blaring sound. I think that it is perfectly okay for zoos to play "jungle sounds" at low volume in indoor rainforests, where the ambience is critical and therefore the noise of water trickling, frogs croaking and birds twittering adds to the illusion.

4. siamang27

You don't need recorded jungle sounds in a rainforest if the animals aren't behind glass - you have the live animal sounds!

That is, of course, if the animals exhibited are vocal...

5. foz

foz Well-Known Member

At the walk around area at the West Midlands safari park they have a jungly/african theme playing all day around the leoaprds, sea lions and night zone etc

6. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Marwell sometimes plays traditional African Drumming/Choir music on the path leading down to Heart of Africa. I appreciate on a warm, sunny Summer's day, but I think if it's playing in dismal winter it's kinda taking the p**s!

7. condor

condor Well-Known Member

I know this isn't really what you asked about but some animals don't like music. About 15years ago an okapi died from stress in Copenhagen Zoo when a concert was held nearby!

Personally I don't like the idea of background music in zoos. Its a bit to Disney World for my taste.

8. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Geez, I would walk out of zoo straight away! It must be terrible, like on a beach when somebody next to you plays a radio too loudly. If I want music, I have an iPod.

I recently visited two Dutch zoos which had a stupid idea of having recorded education. Kids press a button and go away, and you are left listening to hum...

One zoo has loudspeaker mounted in an old tree. So you try to relax, and suddenly behind you a sweet voice of (probably) famous Dutch presenter starts: 'I am a chestnut tree. I am not native to the Netherlands...'

9. kc7gr

kc7gr Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One zoo, hold the music...

I'm pretty much agreed with the flow here. Background music is something I expect from a formal show, not from simply walking through a park.

Now that I think about it, I've only been to two parks, even vaguely zoological-related (Sea World Orlando and Sick Flags Discovery Kingdom), which used background music at all. In Sea World's case, they were actually smart about it by limiting it to a few pathways with no animal presence.

In DK's case, it was just the opposite. Blaring right next to their laughable idea of a dolphin "petting pool," so loudly I got a headache from it.

I can empathize with Snowleopard's comments, though I didn't know the GV Zoo had started blaring music from entrance-mounted speakers. As for the raptor show, I have no problem with the type of intro music they use but, as was pointed out, the show's owner cranks it up way too loud. This comes as no real surprise, given the other stupid stunts said owner has pulled.

Keep the peace(es).

Last edited: 26 Jul 2009
  10. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

"Marwell sometimes plays traditional African Drumming/Choir music on the path leading down to Heart of Africa. I appreciate on a warm, sunny Summer's day, but I think if it's playing in dismal winter it's kinda taking the p**s! "

Fortunately the cable was cut and the speakers removed when the new giraffe road crossing was created to get the animals into the African Valley. With a bit of luck it will not be re-instated. I am not sure music adds anything to the visitors experience except in the most heavily of themed exhibits and even then "naturalistic" sounds are far more effective. Indeed if done correctly most people would never know the sounds have been added.
    I can sort of tolerate "music" or appropriate sound-tracks in aquariums where it creates an atmosphere and, theoretically at least, discourages children from getting too noisy (for some reason children can get very noisy in semi-darkened areas). And in aquariums the animal inmates cannot hear it. But in zoos I am often worried that it could cause annoyance at least, or stress at worst, to the animals, although I have never seen any evidence to support that. There is a case in favour of having some, changing - not loop- background music/soundtrack to soothe nervois animals as, if they are used to varied noises they are less likey to be un-settled by unexpected sounds (hence a radio is often playing, albeit, not loudlt, in the okapi house at Marwell.) And there is proved evidence that cows yield more milk when music is played in the milking parlour - so who knows whether it is a benefit or nuisance to animals in zoos. But, as a visitor, I would far rather not hear it.

11. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Chester have a music system at the entrance area and the speakers are located near to the guest information booth.

Whilst it's not really to my taste, the sound doesn't seem to carry far so I don't think it affects many of the animals and I think it's just used as a mood setter because it's the first thing visitors hear when they enter the park.

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

They also have sounds of the rainforest playing in the Okapi house, well every now and again.

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In RotRA too.
    It's been a couple of years since I was there, but I always associate Colchester with really annoying music.
    Personally, I'd get rid of all of it if I could.

Alan

14. European Fauna

European Fauna Well-Known Member

Absolutely and utterly against this incredibly annoying tendency.All the great zoo figures of the past must be turning in their graves.This is symptomatic of the fact that animal people have less and less to say in the running of zoos , which in many cases today are dominated by people from a marketing background.They need to understand the difference between zoos and theme parks , and should not underestimate their visitors.A growing number of visitors today are coming to zoos with a more sophisticated mindset , and the last thing they want is some annoying "swimming with the dolphins" new-age background rubbish crackling through the tannoy.Moreover , any zoo worth its salt already has its own fascinating range of sound - peafowl , lemurs , gibbons , cats , psittacines , hoofstock , etc, etc.Why offer anything else?I feel incredibly strongly about this and we should all speak up about this matter at our local zoos and others we may visit.

15. Meg-T

Meg-T Well-Known Member

I seem to be in a minority here in that I like the use of appropriate background music, however I don't like it too loud or 'in your face'. I think it lends to the general ambiance of exhibits and immersion/themed areas. In addition to this it is known to increase interest and aid learning (something very useful for education in zoos).

However, it is not to everyones taste, and I am sure it puts some people off visiting certain areas, or spending time in these areas. Also I think careful investigation is needed to whether or not the music would affect the animals present at all.

Overall I like the use of background music in zoos if subtle and used well :)

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Really? I must pay more attention then, or they dont have it turned on when I visit.

17. onslow

onslow New Member

surely background music/sounds make the experience more realistic. I agree with Meg-T in that it shouldn't be too loud or "in your face" though.

18. siamang27

I really don't see how music makes the experience more realistic...maybe it's just me...

19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I dislike music in zoos.

Taun, I've never noticed music in RotRA either.

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Im sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean music in RotRA, I meant 'jungle noises' - particularly thunder.

Alan