Join our zoo community

Minnesota Zoo Mussel Cabin

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 13 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In 2017, I visited the Minnesota Zoo in the summer for the first time. I must say, I was very impressed by the outdoor bird show and the farm (no, you didn't read that wrong, even their farm is impressive.) Anyway, while on my way to the outdoor bird show, I noticed a small cabin with a window into it. The zoo map labeled it as the Mussel Cabin. It had a small aquarium filled with endangered native mussels. They were reintroducing to the zoo grounds. There is no mention of the Mussel Cabin on MN Zoo's website. I could not find it mentioned on this site. Was anyone else aware that this exists?

2. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are you talking that little building on the east side of the bridge that goes across the lake?

If so I knew about it, but that is simply because I go to the MN Zoo several times a year, since it is my local zoo. I didn't even realize that it is actually labelled on the map. It goes along with those floating buoys they have in the lake for growing mussels.

I found this link on the MN Zoo website about the program:
    Restoring Freshwater Mussels - Minnesota Zoo

There is also a video on the Zoo's Facebook page called Live from Mussel Cabin (if the link below doesn't work, it is also at the bottom of the page of the previous link):
    https://www.facebook.com/search/str...mMjgxMmJkNWIwOGJlYjc4OTNkMjQ0ZWE2ODEwODgzYyJ9

Also Star Tribune article on the MN Zoo and MN DNR collaboration:
    Minnesota Zoo and DNR team up to conserve mussels

birdsandbats likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just curious, are the mussels (the captive ones in the cabin, that is) visible in the winter?

4. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I would imagine so, I ordinarily take Excursions there in the chilly months (because I treasure the wintertime and there are profusions of less people), and I'm equitably certain that I have visited the Mussel Cabin in the winter. I don't know if you've found the development to your question already (since this post is from 3 years ago) but here I am, Giving a good ol' reply.

birdsandbats likes this.