Join our zoo community

Must have zoo books?

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by stubeanz, 30 Sep 2014.

1. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

What are the must have zoo books in your collection?

I'm looking to add to mine and wondered wether there are any zoo books people recommend or perhaps just books that every zoo enthusiast must have !

I'm also interested in any of the old zoo books (early-mid 20th century) you would recommend?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Anything by Bernhard Grzimek or Gerald Durrell, and the Zoo Quest books by David Attenborough.

3. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hediger's "Man and Animal in the Zoo" and Crandall's "Wild Mammals in Captivity" are my top two.

4. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I shall head off to amazon :D

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Colin Tudge's Last Animals At The Zoo was a very powerful statement of zoos' conservational role. I don't think it has been bettered in the 25 years since it was published.

There are many, many zoo histories, of course, and the ones you prefer will be dictated by your taste for zoos. In this country, the recent Bristol Zoo history really does stand out, while those for both Colchester and the Cotswold Wildlife Park are well written.

Finally, John Edwards's book London Zoo from Old Photographs is pretty near perfect.

6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This is a very difficult question to answer as there are so many books to choose from and I don’t know what particular aspect of zoos most interests you; however, a few of my personal favourites follow.

I agree with “Paradoxurus”

The Management of Wild Mammals in Captivity (Lee S. Crandall; 1964)

is probably my very favourite zoo book and is essential reading for any zoo enthusiast.

Other particular favourites of mine are:-

The Zoological Gardens of Europe (C. V. A. Peel, 1903)

British Zoos (Geoffrey Schomberg, 1957)

The Rhinoceros in Captivity (L. C. Rookmaaker; 1998)

Longevity of Mammals in Captivity from the Living Collections of the World (Richard Weigl; 2005)

As a Londoner, particularly interested in the history of London Zoo, I would have to include all the following in my personal favourites:-

A Walk through the Zoological Gardens (F. G. Aflalo; 1900)

A Record of Progress of the Zoological Society of London During the Nineteenth Century (1901)

The Zoological Society of London : a Sketch of its Foundation and Development, and the Story of its Farm, Museum, Gardens, Menagerie and Library (Henry Scherren; 1905)

A Centenary History of the Zoological Society of London (P. Chalmers Mitchell; 1929)

List of the Vertebrated Animals Exhibited in the Gardens of the Zoological Society of London 1828 – 1927: Centenary Edition in 3 volumes (1929)

Vol 1 Mammals (by S. S. Flower)
    Vol 2 Birds (by G. Carmichael Low)
    Vol 3 Reptiles (by S. S. Flower); Amphibians (by Malcolm A. Smith); Fishes (by E.G. Boulenger)

London Zoo from Old Photographs: 1852 – 1914 (John C. Edwards; 1st edition 1996; second edition 2012)

The last is an excellent book and there is sufficient difference between the first and second editions to make it worthwhile owning both.

7. mukisi

mukisi Well-Known Member

Books

I was lucky enogh to buy a numbered copy of Henry Scherrens book from Foyles second hand department in th 60's. A great book for fans of London. My copy was 000 and had been signed & presented to Pocock by scherren, lots of hand written notes amongst thr text
    I offered this historical copy to ZSL,but was told they had several copies. Unfortunately I lent the book to the education officer at my zoo and never saw it again.

8. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Menagerie Manor by Gerald Durrel is a good zoo book that has the running of Jersey zoo

9. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

David Attenborough wrote zoo quest books? I read about zoo quest in his memoirs "life on air" in which he writes 1 chapter about each of his zoo quests. I will have to give these a read. :)

10. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Henry Scherren’s work is probably my favourite of the many books about London Zoo’s history. Having a copy previously owned by Pocock and annotated with his hand-written notes made your copy very special; what a shame you no longer have it.

(NB Incidentally, Pocock’s wife, Constance, wrote a book about London Zoo “The Highways & Byways of the Zoological Gardens” (1913). It is not one of my favourites but it is rather a nice book and worth buying if encountered in a second-hand bookshop.)

Along similar lines, to your book annotated by Pocock, one of my copies of the ZSL’s "List of Vertebrated Animals" (1866 edition) was previously owned by Abraham Bartlett and contains some of his hand-written notes.