Join our zoo community

Mutations

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Vulpes, 6 May 2010.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes but I could only do it with just one bird...:confused: I really thought I was seeing things when I saw this 'shiny' jackdaw though- I've seen jackdaws and crows with white feathering(often from malnourishment as nestlings) etc but I've never seen another like this.

2. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Magpies often have bright blue strips on their feathers, wing tips etc. Could a magpie/jackdaw hybrid occur? I'd say a melanistic magpie, but then it wouldn't have the grey jackdaw ruff.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, it was 100% normal jackdaw, BUT with a bright blue sheen(yes, similar to Magpie's) in the areas of plumage I described. It must have been some sort of freak plumage I imagine.

4. jenjen

jenjen Well-Known Member

photos of the rarest animals in the world.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  5. Tig

Tig Well-Known Member

The Reptile Zoo in WA state has a Blue Eyes Leucistic Texas Rat Snake. I personally love patternless Diamondback Rattlesnakes, they are captive bred morphs achieved through selective breeding. The Staten Island Zoo has an oddly patterned Burmese Python. I don't think zoos typically display mutations and morphs, because it doesn't closely mirror what you would see in the wild, or what needs our help to conserve.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

a couple more interesting mutations :)
    (photos from the internet)

Attached Files:

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum displayed a patternless Western Diamondback a few years ago that was wild caught (in someone's yard here in Tucson). So it can happen in the wild.

8. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

wild caught in someone's yard in Tucson =/= it can happen in the wild

Or better it cetainly can but I wouldn't call all wild caught snakes wild born nad whatsmore be sure about their heritage. This way it of course happen in the wild but how naturally is the question. Moreover in Florida etc. of course.

9. Fossa dude

Fossa dude Well-Known Member

10. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

Great thread the albion owl is rather spooky, Any link to the Leuthistic saltie at Australia Zoo?

11. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

here is a rather interesting Fishing cat!

[​IMG]

12. Arizona Docent

Wow, that is amazing. Any idea where it was? And are you sure it is a fishing cat?

13. Chlidonias

The One-Eyed Hunter and the Albino Fishing Cat - NatGeo News Watch
    selected quotes from the article:

14. Arizona Docent

That's a very interesting article. However, in the photo the cat appears to have light colored eyes, NOT red eyes, which would mean it is leucistic and not albino as they describe.

15. RowanGreen

RowanGreen Well-Known Member

I think in domestic cats it's accepted that albinos can have blue eyes (though not all blue eyed white cats are albino). Eg see this example: My Albino Cat Kilo There's a note about genetics in the comments.

I've also heard it said that colourpoint cats (with darker ears, faces, legs and tails, eg Siamese) are a type of albino: they lose pigment on the warmer parts of the body, but have it on cold parts. They also have blue eyes.

Cats with blue eyes (and to a lesser extent ones with dilute gene - which turns black to blue and red to cream, not sure what the scientific term for that would be!) tend to get red eye in photos, where other cat eyes tend to reflect green or yellow.

The point of this being... to me that looks like a blue eyed cat showing a bit of red eye. So it could still be albino?

16. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@RowanGreen: Ever learned about the difference between albinism and leucism?
    The following (rather basic) wikipedia articles might explain to you why a blue-eyed white cat isn't an albino.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism]Albinism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism]Leucism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

17. RowanGreen

You know, that was an off-the-top of the head post, done late at night, and I really expected someone to come up with good reasons why it was at least partially incorrect. Sun, you could have done a lot better. If anything you've provided some evidence in support.

Eg from your first link:

"The human eye normally produces enough pigment to colour the iris and lend opacity to the eye. However, there are cases in which the eyes of an albinistic person appear red or purple, depending on the amount of pigment present."

Note "there are cases in which the eyes of an albinistic person appear red or purple, depending on the amount of pigment present". In other words not all albino humans have red or purple eyes. I have met a human albino: it was many years ago, but I think his eyes were pale blue with a pinkish tinge, definitely not bright pink as seen in many albino animals.

From the second article:
    "A further difference between albinism and leucism is in eye colour. Due to the lack of melanin production in both the retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) and iris, albinos typically have red eyes due to the underlying blood vessels showing through. In contrast, leucistic animals have normally coloured eyes."

Albinos 'typically' have red eyes: not always. Also albinoism alters eye colour, leucism doesn't. The white, leucistic lion shown on that page has yellow eyes, as does a normal lion. Blue eyes in mature cats are nearly always associated with white, showing a link between the white and the eyes.

And of course, blue cats eyes do still reflect red....

Just going to look up some examples *G*

18. RowanGreen

Here you go:

Odd-eyed cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, to pick out a few points, blue eyes in cats are caused by lack of melanin, as in albinos.

Notice also that the in the calico cat the blue eye is on the side with the white patch over the eye: this is typical in pied cats with one blue eye.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_coat_genetics]Cat coat genetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Note especially that it describes pointed cats as being temperature sensitive albinos.

Going back to the fishing cat, I did notice that it possibly has a creamy tail. Maybe evidence of pointing? Since points are temperature dependant, they are less distinct in cats kept in warm temperatures, as this one probably is!

19. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@RowanGreen: Well, I could have done better, but why to cast pearls before swine? After all, your initial post wasn't the most elaborate piece of work, either.

1. A human eye is not a cat eye, and personal experiences with alleged human albinos are of no interest in this regard.

2. Blue eyes in mammals are a result of a lack (or at least reduction of) eumelanin in the iris. However, in a "true", complete albino, red eyes are typical, wheras in the various forms of leucism, both blue (more often) and red eyes can be observed. "temperature sensitive albinos" is a rather imprecise term.

3. The residual marking rather indicates that said Fishing cat is rather a leucistic or very high grade hypomelanistic specimen. More pics could be useful.

20. Chlidonias