Join our zoo community

Mutations

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Vulpes, 6 May 2010.

1. RowanGreen

RowanGreen Well-Known Member

"1. A human eye is not a cat eye, and personal experiences with alleged human albinos are of no interest in this regard."

It was you who posted the link to the Wiki article mainly about human albinoism...

"2. Blue eyes in mammals"

Right, so you are allowed to talk about other mammals but I'm not?

"are a result of a lack (or at least reduction of) eumelanin in the iris."

I've already given a reference for blue eyes in cats being due to a reduction in melanin as in albinos.

"However, in a "true", complete albino,"

Oh right, so now we want to ignore the fact that the first article you refered me to speaks about their being different grades of albinoism? With some of them including a degree of pigment? That is just so inconvenient...

"red eyes are typical, wheras in the various forms of leucism, both blue (more often) and red eyes can be observed."

And the second article you refered me to quite clearly states that leucism does not change eye colour, and that is one of the things that distinguishes it from albinoism. I guess if someone turns up a picture of that fishing cat that clearly shows it having red eyes you are still going to argue for it being leucistic?

"temperature sensitive albinos" is a rather imprecise term."

Feel free to give us a more precise term for what happens with pointed domestic cats, since it certainly looks to me like that fishing cat MIGHT be showing pale pointing.

"3. The residual marking rather indicates that said Fishing cat is rather a leucistic or very high grade hypomelanistic specimen."

So are you agreeing with me now? Quote from your first Wike article: "There are two different forms of albinism; a partial lack of the melanin is known as hypomelanism, or hypomelanosis and the total absence of melanin is known as amelanism or amelanosis." So the cat could be leucistic or albino. Well done! That's really moved the debate along!

"More pics could be useful."

We can agree on that. Though if you can find some references for both blue and red eyes being caused by leucanism then I think that would bring the allocations on half this thread into doubt!

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Someone just emailed me a pdf article with accompanying photo of the only record of a white ocelot!!! As a cat lover, this is huge news for me. Unfortunately, the hotlink attached to the article leads to a site that requires a membership or payment to access the article, so I cannot provide a link to the photo.

It was in the gran chaco of Paraguay and was seen on at least three occasions between 2004-2006. The photo shows it treed by hounds and is a very clear closeup in full daylight (albeit in black & white). BTW, to add fuel to the fire of the previous debate, the article uses the term leucistic.

Of course the gran chaco is a hot thorn desert where pale pelage might be an advantage. This further intrigues me because I have read anectodal accounts (but never a primary source) of occasional sightings of white jaguars in the gran chaco. If it could happen with ocelot here then I think it could definitely happen with jaguar.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

tiny photo but this is the aforementioned white ocelot...

Attached Files:

4. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of some melanistic common dolphins spotted off Ireland

[​IMG]

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

dwarf badgers

Not really a mutation but is there any more news about those 'miniature' badgers living on the island off the West coast of Ireland?

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A white gaur, filmed in the wild.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting. Its sort of 'off white' as the lower leg markings are still distinct and purer white by contrast with the body.

8. Chlidonias

another photo of the Satpura gaur (plural):
    White Gaur- Satpura

From Valmik Thapar's "Land Of The Tiger" (1997): "In Satpura there are four totally white gaur — presumably albinos or some genetic sport — who, amid their black companions, appear like ghosts in a forest!"

and then also: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manjampatti_white_bison]Manjampatti white bison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

9. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know it's been two months since this topic has been posted in, but I just came across this while doing a quick internet search:
    [​IMG]
    They call them Burchell golden oryx, and there's a whole website about them:
    Home - Burchell Golden Oryx

Edit:
    While we're on the topic of antelope color morphs:
    [​IMG]
    Golden gnu

[http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tum41pPNUKM/Tv4VU1MX-JI/AAAAAAAAPW4/3HWUj-k5wuQ/s1600/SG201989.JPG
    Black springbok (Posted as a link as the picture was too big to post directly)

[​IMG]
    White springbok

There are also copper springbok, but I couldn't find a picture of one that wasn't a trophy being posed with....

Last edited: 21 Apr 2012
  10. Chris Furley

Chris Furley Member

anyone ever seen an albino leopard (Panthera pardus) ? Thanks. need the info for a book

11. condor

condor Well-Known Member

not living but ALBINO FELIDSS

12. Chlidonias

just as an aside, I found it quite amusing that the author captioning the photos on the above link was making reference to the colour of the glass (!) eyes (for the photos of the leopard and lynx) :D

13. Arizona Docent

No, but here is a pale (erythristic) leopard currently in South Africa.

"Strawberry" Leopard Discovered?A First

A few years ago a zoo in my state (Wildlife World Zoo) claimed that they had two white leopard cubs born to a normal colored mother and a black father. I went up to see them when they were several months old, but by that time they were both normal colored (even though the zoo was still calling one of them white). I never saw photos of them when they were younger, but I assume they started out lighter than usual for the first couple months of life but quickly grew out of it.

14. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. Arizona Docent

16. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Interesting taht they mention that another female white Orca was captured by an aquarium. I did a quick google search and came across this. http://www.orcahome.de/chimo.htm apparently her name was Chimo and she was on display for two years at the Victoria, B.C., aquarium!

17. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  18. Chlidonias

that albino possum looks weirdly like a ferret or ermine when it's all white like that. Imagine coming across that in the wild, you wouldn't have a clue what it might have been!

19. Chlidonias

20. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Those marmosets dont appear to be albino, their skin is dark as is their eyes! Interesting!