Join our zoo community

My fantasy zoo

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by aardvark250, 6 Jan 2016.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

My fantasy zoo will hold some endangered and rare animals.There are six big zones in the zoo:

• Asia Forest
    • African Savannah
    • Polar Region
    • Wild Australia
    • Primate of the world
    • Carnivore Walk
    Also there is a reptile house.

2. Falanouc

Falanouc Well-Known Member

Looks good, I like the sound of the Wild Australia zone.

3. aardvark250

Meerkat!

We enter the QuWang Wildlife Park(this zoo is in China).

Our first stop is African Savannah.

First we see the Meerkat(Suricata suricatta).They are in a open-air outdoor exhibit on the left of the path.There are lots of sand and sand mountains in the exhibit so that it will look like its natural environment in Kalahari Desert.There are also scorpions in the exhibit to let meerkat to hunt.There are some big stones in the centre of the exhibit.The meerkats often climb and stand up there.

4. Falanouc

I like the enclosure details.

5. aardvark250

My favourite!

Next exhibit is Aardvark(Orycteropus afer):D.The aardvark exhibit is on the right of the path,and contain a indoor area.There is also a outdoor area but the aardvark don't use it very much.(Because they are nocturnal).
    There is mainly sand in the exhibit,but also some savannah grass and aardvark cucumber.In the outdoor area there is also a big termite mound for them to eat.The sand is very deep so the aardvark can dig.

6. Falanouc

Yay, aardvarks!
    Not sure I get the 'eating termite mound' thing though to be honest. Surely the termites would run out and would have to be replaced with more? Though nice and natural for the animal, I'm not sure that would work.

7. aardvark250

Next exhibit,along with the aardvarks,are also african small mammals that eat termites.It is the ground pangolin (Smutsia temminckii).We have three pangolins,1 male and 2 female.They lived in the African Valley of Smalls, together with the aardvarks and meerkats.

Their exhibit is similar to the aardvarks,with more outdoor area and slightly less space(cause they are smaller).There is also a termite mound(The termite mound is for decorations and for digging,the termites are live prey and can freely go everywhere in the exhibit.).There are more savannah grass and bushes.Also we make burrows underground for them.

Pangolin is endangered in the wild because of human eat them and make medicine with their scale.They are in they BEA program.(Breeding Endangered Animal)

8. Falanouc

Nice, I love pangolins so I really like this exhibit/enclosure.

9. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

Does the Polar Region feature animals from the North and South Poles?

10. aardvark250

Yes,it will include penguins,polar bears,seals etc.

11. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

Just saying it would be extremely expensive to keep refilling the enclosure with scorpions... Apart from that pretty good zoo.

12. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I will wrote some more realistic plan for establishing a zoo, for start, smaller, wich means if I got the opportunity (finances) I will start with the project:

The all zoo will be about 5,000 square metres, and I would love to house theese species first (because of the eventual limited finances for starting with more animals):

Leopard (African?)
    Tiger (Amur?)
    Mantled guerezas
    White-fronted lemurs

Southern ground hornbill
    African fish eagle
    Chattering lory
    Eclectus parrot

King cobra (or Siamese spitting cobra)
    Red spitting cobra
    Eastern green mamba
    Rhinoceros viper
    Mexican West coast rattlesnake
    Emerald tree boa
    Eyelash viper & african green bush viper
    Cuban crocs (juveniles first)

The enlosures would be with transparent side (for visitors) just from one sides, other sides will prevent visitors seeing the animals. Will be fenced with plastic panels and laminated glass (on viewing side) for prevention of disturbing the animals from noises from visitors. Covered with mesh, and for carnivores also fenced with mesh.

The enclosures will be multi-part (reserve, stimulating and rotating): Eg. for leopards at least 3X 225.0 square metres, for tigers at least 3x400.0 square metres, for guerezas at least 4x100.0 square metres, for lemurs at least 2x100.0 square metres.

The enclosures for snakes would be biger than conventional ones in most zoos. Eg. enclosures with sizes of 2X9 metres (fenced with plastic panels and laminated glass, and covered with mesh and roof of plastic panels wich will can be removed for enabling natural sun rays to enter and reach to the reptiles. The zoo will be located in R. Macedonia (South-East Europe, submediteranean climate).

For larger birds, simmilar enclosures as for leopards, for parrots enclosures of 5X5 metres.

There will also be tunnels for walk for animals, from their enclosures to around periphery of the zoo, completely covered with mesh.