Join our zoo community

My farm

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by tschandler71, 13 Apr 2013.

1. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Guys I wasn't quite sure where to put these as there wasn't a private collection gallery as far as I can see. Nor is my farm really a "collection" but several members have shown interest in seeing what my farm looks like so I got out today and took some pictures.

Now I did not get any good pictures of the Bison because being such a sunny day they are in the north pasture under cover. The only way you can access the north pasture is by ATV (unless you want to walk and its a 1.5 mile round trip). I will get some pictures of them when they rotate back to the front pasture or when I get can the ATV because no one is using it to work.

Also I took some photos that aren't on my property of a local waterfall I thought you guys would enjoy as well.

Since its not a zoo per se, I just linked to my photobucket account.

tim_chandler2's Library | Photobucket

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Very cool. One day I hope to own a farm property (or acreage, as we call it out here) like yours. How many acres do you have? You should give us a breakdown of your animals too.

3. tschandler71

About 200 acres of pasture, 100 acres of hayfield, and 300 acres of pulpwood (in a separate location but its just pine trees). All our animals are raised on pasture with supplemental feed. The goats are mainly so I don't have to clear brush. The pigs and llama are pets. The donkeys keep coyotes off the other livestock.

We own:

10 horses
    100 cattle
    20 goats
    8 pigs
    27 Bison
    1 Llama
    3 donkeys
    some rabbits, chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, and geese.

A Labrador (my duck dog), 3 Australian shepherds (working dogs), and one really really spoiled cat.

There are also deer and wild hog on the property.

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Your farm is really beautiful. Thanks for posting the pictures.

5. waterfowl22

waterfowl22 Member

Private collections

If you have a collection of animals and they are in good health and looked after well then i think it a good idea to add them the these pages for good reasons.
    We breed as a hobby, waterfowl, wood rails, avocets and lilac breasted rollers. Usuing these types of pages we have met and learnt from so many other breeders, helped others and also managed to sell supplus stock to people that really care and need unrelated birds.
    Two years we contacted a breeder of avocets, with his help and advice our one pair this year alone has laid 4 eggs as of 13/03/13 this is more than they had done in 3 years, so my advice is keep on adding to these pages.
    If you would like to see my web site:-
    Ornamental Waterfowl UK

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thought that was you Dick; welcome to Zoochat if you're new here. Now you can work out who I am.... Well done with the Avocets so far.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for sharing your web-site waterfolw22, a realy nice collection ! If you had already avocet-eggs on 13/03/13 I give you little ( none ) change they will still hatch or did you mean 13/04/13 ? In that case I wish you good luck because baby avocets are really cute creatures ( I've posted a photo of one I hand-raised at Walsrode Birdpark in the Walsrode Gallery ).
    Did you also already have succes with your rollers ?

8. waterfowl22

waterfowl22 Member

Avocets

My mistake the eggs were laid in the past 2 weeks from the 2/4/2013.
    Last year we only had two eggs one clear 1 hatched but unfortunately the joint was not correct we believe it was a calcium deficiency so this year we are adding extra calcium to the diet.
    Lilac Breasted rollers we have done well with, 12 hatched last year.
    We swapped a few with other breeders to make some unrelated pairs, we have 1 trio left from 2012.
    we also hope to do better with our African White Backed ducks this year

9. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Very cool farm, and very cool list of animals. You almost have a zoo there.

What do you use the bison and cattle for? Meat?

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12 Lilac breasted rollers ! Do you have several pairs or did one pair bred several times or, even another option did you take away the first clutch for artificial incubation and raising ?
    Always nice to hear some privat persons have such good results and try to keep a healthy captive population, thanks !

11. tschandler71

Well we buy and sell them. The cattle are certified grass fed.

12. waterfowl22

waterfowl22 Member

HI, I have two unrelated breeding pairs in seperate avairys each end of the garden, all birde are parent reared, all birds are with Dna checked with certificates.
    I also have contacts with other breeders of LBR and if need be we will swap around to make the best possible unrelated we can.
    My older pair will lay two clutches every year and they have 3 eggs already this year.
    we only incubate if we feel it nessarsary.
    regards DJ

13. tschandler71

Guys we had a baby bison today.

BenFoxster likes this.
  14. tschandler71

15. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A nice shot tschandler71 on the far are bison kept as a mixed herd or do you keep the bulls seperate and only allow controlled access to the cows?

Last edited: 12 Feb 2014
  16. tschandler71

We raise them together.

17. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the reply my sister in law has a rare breeds farm here in the UK but they used to keep the bull - a pure bread Hereford -seperate unless breeding, mainly for the danger of going in with a mixed herd .

18. tschandler71

we keep our grass Herefords on separate pasture as well. We keep the Hereford bull separate from the cattle. But Bison retain a little of their wild nature and are best kept in a somewhat natural herd structure. Plus there is no incentive to keep the bulls separate because the Bison aren't registered/have pedigrees.

19. Mikezoo12

Mikezoo12 Well-Known Member

Two things:
    1. Where did you acquire the animals?
    2. 600 acres! You could build a city on that!

BenFoxster likes this.