Join our zoo community

My Ideal Large Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Neil chace, 19 Nov 2022.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lately, I have been working on a fantasy zoo project, designing what I'd consider my ideal large zoo. This zoo will contain over 200 species, and while I don't have a set acreage in mind, it'd certainly end up being 100 acres, minimum. Inside this zoo, there will be a wide array of species, including both traditional, charismatic megafauna (including four pachyderm species, giraffes, three bear species, and five big cat species) along with a plethora of smaller species, including some rarities. This zoo was made with a consideration of what can be acquired relatively easy within the AZA, so the species list is largely based on what could be readily available. It will be located somewhere in the Northeastern United States (specific city doesn't matter), and this was a major consideration when designing areas for warm-weather species, many of which will be included in this zoo. I will be posting my plans for this zoo in a series of posts over the next week or so, with posts going in order of how I'd expect visitors to see the zoo. This zoo will be designed in a loop format, as I really like this set-up as it allows visitors to easily see every part of the zoo without getting lost or accidentally back-tracking/missing sections. One major focus of this zoo will be on creating modern, innovative zoo exhibits, very much focusing on what I expect the future of zoos to be, from both visitor and animal perspectives. Without further ado, here is Part 1 of My Ideal Large Zoo:

One biome I am surprised gets as little inclusion in zoos as it does is the Desert. In the United States, there's only five zoos featuring Deserts Buildings, Omaha, Indianapolis, North Carolina, Brookfield, and Zoo America. It's a real shame these exhibits are not more common, as there are many unique educational opportunities relating to desert wildlife/conservation/adaptations, and also many unique and fascinating species native to desert regions of the world that would make great exhibit animals in this sort of building. As a result, the first building upon entering the zoo will be the Deserts of the World building, featuring the flora and fauna of three different deserts from across three continents. As a whole, this building would be approximately two acres large, although close to half of this will be designated to a single species (perhaps a surprise inclusion to this dome). Today, I will be describing the habitats in the first of three sections to the dome, which is the Sonoran Desert. The Sonoran Desert, one of the most biodiverse deserts in the world, is home to a wide array of unique species that could create a great first impression to zoo visitors. Upon entering the dome, the first habitat seen will be a 10,000 gallon aquarium, featuring Desert Pupfish. Yes, I am building a desert-themed exhibit in which the first habitat contains fish. The reason for this is that, since many don't associate fish with deserts, this will provide a nice surprise factor that allows for some unique educational displays. On both sides of this aquarium, educational displays will be focusing on the importance of water to desert ecosystems, and how important water conservation is to the conservation of deserts as a whole. This messaging around water will carry throughout the entire dome, with many exhibits featuring signage on the unique ways that animals obtain, store, or conserve water. After the pupfish aquarium, the path will turn around a bend into a rocky cave, with various terrariums nestled inside the cave walls for species more traditionally associated with the desert. The first of these terrariums is home to Giant Desert Hairy Scorpions, followed by terrariums for three other invertebrate species: Tailless Whip Scorpions, Mexican Red-kneed Tarantula, and Blue Death-Feigning Beetles. While these may not be the most exciting animals for the average visitor, one major goal of this zoo is highlighting the world's biodiversity, which means in addition to the standard mammals, birds, and reptiles, also incorporating exhibits for various amphibians, fish, and both terrestrial and aquatic invertebrates. After these terrariums, the cave widens into a large atrium, featuring some larger species that call this desert home. Most notably, the center of the atrium is a large, 5,000 square-foot habitat for Chacoan Peccaries. Rather than feature collared peccaries, the species native to the Sonoran Desert, I opted to display this species instead because of its conservation status and due to the recommendations made by the AZA's Ungulates TAG, which suggests exhibiting this more endangered species instead. The zoo will feature a 1.2 breeding trio of this awesome species, which will live in a habitat designed to simulate the Sonoran Desert as best a possible. Sharing the habitat with the chacoan peccaries is a large saguaro cactus, along with other plants native to the Sonoran Desert- strategically placed in ways that the peccaries can't destroy them. As the visitor pathway loops around the peccary habitat (picture a semi-circular habitat, with visitor path on the curved part), a number of smaller habitats will adorn the left side of the path (with peccaries on the right). The first of these habitats will be a 1,500 square foot aviary home to Burrowing Owls, Greater Roadrunner, Masked Bobwhites, and Desert Tortoises. This will be another habitat filled with various small cactuses and other plants native to this desert, and will be built on two levels, allowing the tortoises access to only the lower level and allowing the birds access to both levels. While the burrowing owls are a breeding pair, the other species would all be non-breeding groups, as necessary by their respective AZA programs. Both the owls and the bobwhites allow for interesting conservation education opportunities, and are species that the zoo would be able to cooperate with on in-situ and ex-situ conservation. Next to this aviary, will be a burrow for the owls in which visitors can look into through a glass viewing window. Signage will explain how the burrowing owl steals old burrows from the dome's next inhabitants, the Black-tailed Prairie Dogs. This habitat will be set up such that visitors can see both the ground-level viewing of these popular rodents, and underground viewing into a subsection of prairie dog tunnel. There will also be, as typical for prairie dog exhibits, a tunnel under the exhibit for human children, allowing them to "pop" their heads into the tunnel. While one side of this prairie dog habitat featured the owls, who will use prairie dog tunnels as homes, the other side will feature another species from the desert grasslands which prairie dogs interact with- or in this case are predated on by. This species, of course, is the critically endangered Black-footed Ferret. This is another species that allows some great conservation initiatives on the part of the zoo, and are a unique species only kept by a handful of zoos in the US. Likewise to the owl and prairie dogs, the black-footed ferret habitat will also incorporate underground viewing. After these three habitats featuring underground viewing, the next habitat will be across the path- overlooking the peccary habitat. That habitat will provide an interesting predator-prey display alongside the peccaries, and is a species in which there are very few left in the United States, with that being the Jaguar. This 3,000 square foot indoor habitat will be designed to replicate the Sonoran Desert home of these incredible cats, but is not the only habitat these cats have access to. Rather, the jaguars will be given the choice between utilizing this indoor habitat, or an outdoor habitat which will be described in a later section (despite being connected, these two habitats are in very different sections of the zoo- as part of the looping design). The zoo will have a breeding pair of these majestic cats, and in the case of cubs, the cubs would be raised in this indoor habitat, with the male on display outdoors. When there aren't cubs, the jaguars will ideally share access to both exhibits, but may be rotated between the two if necessary (as they are solitary cats in the wild). After this indoor jaguar habitat, the path will move around another bend, around an aviary across from the jaguars, featuring a pair of Thick-Billed Parrots. This is another endangered species, which can be a part of the zoo's desert conservation programs, providing in-situ and ex-situ support for a number of desert species. After the aviary, the path will return to another cave, this time featuring three different habitats for rattlesnake species, specifically the Western Diamondback, Sidewinder, and Banded Rock Rattlesnakes. These will be fairly standard rattlesnake exhibits, but certainly on the large side. After this cave, visitors will be greeted by a pair of 1,000 square foot harp wire cages, the first of which features a pair of Swift Fox, and the second being home to Ocelot. Both of these unique carnivores will have spacious habitats, allowing various opportunities to climb and/or hide in the exhibits. While there will be hiding opportunities in these exhibits making the animals potentially difficult to spot, various feeding and enrichment opportunities would be considered in the design of these habitats to encourage, but not require, animal visibility. Opposite these two habitats will be a terrarium for a Desert Rosy Boa and a series of larger, open-air reptile displays for Chuckwallas and Gila Monsters. After passing these two lizard habitats, the path will bend again as visitors are transported across the world into Desert number two, which may not be a desert you'd expect to see in this dome. To be continued...

If you have any guesses as to what this surprising desert is, or have any critiques/suggestions of the zoo thus far, feel free to comment or let me know.

Species Count in this section: 22
    Mammals- 6
    Birds- 4
    Reptiles- 7
    Amphibians- 0
    Fish- 1
    Invertebrates- 4

Cumulative Species Count: 22
    Mammals- 6
    Birds- 4
    Reptiles- 7
    Amphibians- 0
    Fish- 1
    Invertebrates- 4

2. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The most unconventional desert I can think of is Antarctica, but for realism reasons it would be really surprising for me if you featured it in this dome. I don't know much about engineering, but budget-wise, I would assume it would be really expensive and mechanically inconvenient to have to heat a large part of the dome for warm-desert animals, and to have to chill another part of the same dome for Antarctic species. From an educational and novelty perspective though, I think it could be really interesting.

Haley and Neil chace like this.
  3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Interesting suggestion. But to be practical one could plan, based on the location, so that the larger area was more suited to the location (requiring less heating or cooling) and a much smaller area presented the other extreme.
    A good idea shouldn't be dismissed easily!

4. Neil chace

Everyday between now and when I finish this zoo, I will post two sections of it. Here is today's second section, the surprising second inclusion in the Deserts Building! Interestingly enough, one idea that I did not go with but I strongly considered was suggested by @ZooElephantsMan! While Antarctica was one of the two deserts I was strongly considering for this slot, instead I went with a different desert, that does have some similarities with Antarctica. This desert is the Atacama Desert of South America, with this section designed off of Punta San Juan, and will be highlighting the desert penguins of Peru! Before reaching the animal components of this desert, guests will be ushered into a small movie theater- which plays on loop an approximately 20 minute video on Peru's desert penguins, along with the other species of this coastal desert. A big feature of this film will also be discussing guano- along with it's uses for humans and the conservation/environmental concerns associated with it. However, we all know the real highlight of the film would be the footage of penguins "climbing" down a steep ledge to the water (if you look up "Peru Desert Penguins" in You Tube a lot of funny penguin clips will pop up). Educational videos is something that's not super common in zoos, but I think should be strongly considered as an inclusion when zoos are designing the educational elements of exhibits. Allowing guests to learn in different ways (i.e. auditory, visual, experiential, etc.) is the best way to maximize guest education, and it'd be great to see more zoos look for ways to incorporate videos and other multimedia educational elements into their exhibits. Museums already have a lot of digital educational opportunities/videos playing/etc. so why shouldn't zoos? After the video, guests will be introduced to the roaring waves of the Peruvian coasts- and a desert like no other. Signage will discuss the meaning of the word "desert" and how not all deserts are hot, arid wastelands like many expect. Other examples of deserts will be given on the sign, including Antarctica, to show how there are many types of deserts in the world. After passing these signs, visitors are introduced to a naturalistic recreation of Punta San Juan, and the guano cliffs of Peru. This area consists of a total of one exhibit, that can be seen across either side of the visitor path. One inspiration for this exhibit is the Penguin Coast at Saint Louis Zoo, with a walkway in the middle of a penguin exhibit, allowing them to swim underneath visitors onto the other side. However, this habitat will be much larger- at approximately 10,000 square feet. This large penguin habitat will feature approximately 5,000 square feet of water and 5,000 square feet of land- designed to showcase the unique nesting behavior and unique home of these incredible birds. All of the land component will be on one side of the visitor path, and the water only side will feature a machine to create waves in the water, allowing the naturalistic effect to truly set in. Three species will share this incredible recreation of the Peruvian Coast. Most notably, a colony of 20 Humboldt Penguins will anchor this habitat, and will be the primary users of the large pool. Sharing the exhibit with the penguins, however, are two flighted species that will utilize the air and nest on the tall cliffs above the penguins. The first of these species is a colony of eight Inca Terns, a gorgeous species that will add some great interest to the sky above the penguin pool, with the second being a breeding pair of Grey Gulls. Notably, all three of these bird species are breeding groups- meaning that the number will end up growing from what I mentioned, allowing a really cool, dynamic display that is both unique and unexpected- because who would've thought that penguins would be included in a desert dome? Unfortunately, a few of the other species that would've been great thematic inclusions are not realistic to be acquired- such as Peruvian boobies, guanay cormorants, and Peruvian pelicans. However, this exhibit is designed in a way such that in the future, if other species found in this region do become available, they could be incorporated into the mix. After crossing through this section of the dome, visitors cross through another rocky cave, which features a glimpse into a humboldt penguin burrow. After this, visitors are released into the third, and final, section of the dome, much of which is dedicated to a large animal that many don't associate with the desert. To be continued...

As always, if you have any questions, comments, critiques, or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Feel free to mention your guess for what the mystery creature is, it'll be revealed in the first update tomorrow.

EDIT: Realized I forgot to update the species count.
    Species Count in This Section: 3
    Mammals: 0
    Birds: 3
    Reptiles: 0
    Amphibians: 0
    Fish: 0
    Invertebrates: 0

Cumulative Species Count: 25
    Mammals: 6
    Birds: 7
    Reptiles: 7
    Fish: 1
    Invertebrates: 4

Last edited: 19 Nov 2022
  5. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

20 Humboldt Penguins should look few for such a large themed exhibit, and given that this bird is super-common in zoos, even in small collections. At least 50 Penguins would be more interesting.

Peruvian Pelicans exist in zoos. There's at least one colony of these birds in Walsrode (Germany).
    It may be possible to get Northern Brown Pelicans (sometimes seen as conspecific) as proxies.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2022
    BenFoxster and Haley like this.
  6. Neil chace

I know they exist in zoos. All I said was that they'd be unrealistic to acquire as a zoo in the United States. In the United States, Bronx Zoo is the only holder of Peruvian Pelicans, hence it not being a realistic acquisition. But, it's basically an exhibit designed to be a Peru-themed Seabird Aviary. Although the three species I mentioned for inclusion were Humboldt Penguin, Inca Tern, and Grey Gulls, in the future if other species did become available, the species list for this aviary could change rather easily.

Haley likes this.
  7. Neil chace

The idea with the penguins (and both other species), is to grow the colonies over time. Fifty would make it the largest humboldt penguin colony in North America, and isn't realistic for a zoo to start with the species by acquiring such a large colony. If the zoo acquires twenty penguins, over time as more chicks are born, the zoo can grow the colony in hopes of reaching a much larger colony. This is the same with the colony of eight inca terns, the goal is to breed them to the point that the zoo ends up with a much larger colony, and the goal is also to breed the pair of grey gulls to end up with more eventually.

Haley likes this.
  8. Haliaeetus

It would be interesting to complete the Atacama section with other species (in separate enclosures, if needed) as Puma, Guanaco and/or Vicuña, Viscachas, Puna Rhea, Chilean Flamingo or Andean Condor, among many possibilities.
    Even one species of South American Sea Lion or Fur Seal may be interesting and attractive.

BenFoxster likes this.
  9. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you can't get Peruvian pelicans can't you use brown pelicans as a subsitute like the way you chose Chacoans over collared peccaries?

Van Beal likes this.
  10. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As far as I know Vicuña, Viscachas, Puna Rhea, South American sea lions, and South American fur seals are not found in AZA zoos .

11. Haliaeetus

Sorry I'm European and I have European references.
    It's strange that in North America these species seem inexistent, when most of them (except perhaps Viscachas) are well-represented in European zoos.

BenFoxster likes this.
  12. Neil chace

If appropriate, non-releasable rehab brown pelicans became available, this is something I'm willing to consider. Really the exhibit is designed with penguins and other sea/shore birds in mind, so Brown Pelicans is something I'd be okay with exhibiting, even if it's not the perfect biogeographic match. However, the main three species the exhibit is designed for will remain Humboldt Penguins, Inca Terns, and Grey Gulls.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  13. Neil chace

After this unexpected journey to Punta San Juan, the Deserts of the World building turns back around the corner, into the largest of the three sections of the building, Africa's Namib Desert, which is anchored by a very large species you may not expect to see in a Desert Dome. However, before reaching the large, open-air portion of the dome, visitors can visit a smaller, side room, titled "The World's Deadliest Cat". While many visitors may expect this to be a large cat, such as the lion or tiger, many would be surprised when the open the door to reveal two , 300-square foot habitats for a species smaller than a house cat: Black-footed Cats! These unique, small cats will provide a unique and exciting display, along with another great species for the zoo to partake in conservation projects with. Along with these two habitats, designed to replicate their arid homelands, this small sub-section of the building will feature a plethora of educational information about these cats, including another video screen playing a short film highlighting their unique adaptations. After exiting the black-footed cat room, visitors are directed into a large, 5,000 square foot naturalistic aviary, featuring a unique collection of species found in these arid sections of Africa. While I acknowledge some of these species are much more native to semi-arid or dry savanna regions, each of these species is present in the country of Namibia, and will provide a more interesting display than if only the (admittedly very few) strictly desert species present in the United States were included. In this walk-through aviary, visitors can walk across a suspended pathway, with the exhibit crossing beneath the pathway so that visitors are surrounded by this desert recreation. Much of the ground in this habitat is focused on rocky terrain, due to the two unique mammal species living alongside the aviary's birds. First is the Klipspringer. This small antelope species is one I feel is underrepresented in zoos, and deserves a much larger presence in US collections. Due to this, the zoo will be acquiring a breeding pair of these incredible ungulates, which will serve as the primary ground-level interest in this aviary. The second mammal species is a group of four Rock Hyraxes, which will primarily reside on the rocky cliffs serving as a backdrop to this section of this habitat. Bird-wise, a number of unique species will reside in this aviary. Most notably, large flocks of two bee-eater species: the White-Fronted Bee-eater and Carmine Bee-eater, will call this aviary home. Two automatically timed feeders, hidden into the rocks, will release flying insects into this dome every half hour, providing visitors a unique experience to witness the incredible feeding displays of these birds. As these species are each kept by only three US Zoos, it may be difficult to acquire large flocks to start, so similar to with the penguins and terns, the zoo will open with flocks of approximately 8-12 birds of each species, with the hope of eventually breeding enough so twenty plus bee-eaters of each species are present. Other than the bee-eaters, other unique species of birds residing in the dome will be a pair of Peach-Faced Lovebirds, Violet-Backed Starlings, and White-headed Buffalo Weavers. Once visitors leave this aviary, the path brings them to the core of the Africa section, the largest room in the dome and one that houses just six exhibits, for just eight species. First up, a boardwalk takes visitors past four 1,500 square foot habitats. Each of these habitats will be designed very similarly, as naturalistic replicas of the Namib Desert separated from visitors by only half-height glass walls. The first of these habitats happens to contain the largest animal of the four- the zoo's Aardvark. Across from the aardvark, the second habitat will contain a pair of Cape Porcupines. Both of these habitats will be almost identical mirrors to each other, with a small cave in the back allowing a spot for the animals to rest, with the habitat having a sandy substrate allowing digging if the individuals choose. Both habitats will feature some limited plant life in them, but this is not a main focus of these exhibits. The one difference between the two is the presence of a fake termite mound in one corner of the aardvark exhibit. Periodically throughout the day, various insects will be released in this mound, allowing visitors to witness an aardvark tongue in action. Adding to the uniqueness of this feeding display, one of the sides adjacent to the visitor path being made of plexiglass- allowing visitors to see what the aardvark's tongue in action looks like from inside the termite mound. Once visitors pass by the aardvark and porcupine habitats, they reach the third of these four habitats, and the only one containing multiple species. This third habitat contains three desert reptile species, and while this habitat is a slight divergence from the Namib Desert theme, these are still unique species I felt warranted inclusion in this dome. The first species in this habitat is a 1.2 breeding trio of African Pancake Tortoises, who share this large habitat with two species of lizard, the
    African Giant Plated Lizard and the Uromastyx (any species from this genus would work just fine). While this is a very large habitat for these animals, it will have carefully placed heat lamps, UVB lamps, and rock ledges to encourage maximum visibility. Plus, part of the joy of zoo visits is trying to find the animals, having a large habitat will make visitors spend longer in an attempt to find the animals, while also providing the best home possible for the residents. The fourth and final of these habitats contains perhaps the most iconic small mammal of Namibia- the Slender-tailed Meerkat. A large breeding mob with over ten of these popular small mammals will make a great display for visitors, no matter how much some Zoo Chatters express their disdain for meerkats they remain a visitor favorite that takes up minimal space! While it is difficult to beat meerkats in a popularity contest, if anyone can it's this dome's next residents, and the large unexpected animal many don't associate with deserts- despite deserts being one of the many types of habitat this species can be found. With approximately one acre of space inside the dome dedicated to this species, it has the largest habitat in the dome by far- as well as having access to two outdoor exhibits that will be described in a later update. This habitat, while rather barren, will provide a large day room with a sand floor for the zoo's herd of African Elephants! Signage opposite from these creatures will describe the vast diversity of habitats elephants can thrive in, along with the threats facing elephants and their unique biology. There will also be a large elephant skull replica on display that interested kids are able to touch. The zoo's herd of elephants will contain both a bull and multiple breeding cows- with the space large enough to accommodate a growing herd up of up to 15 elephants. While I do not expect to actually have 15 elephants at the zoo (although that does sound impressive), the exhibit was designed to be large and spacious enough that such a dynamic, multigenerational herd is a possibility, if breeding is successful. To start, the zoo would ideally hold a bull elephant along with at least three, ideally four or five, elephant cows, however the exact number depends on availability. The visible space to visitors would be the half-acre day room, although the elephants will also have access to a number of behind-the-scenes stalls in addition to the outdoor enclosure. While the large indoor elephant habitat is likely the star of the dome, it is not the last habitat inside. Rather, before exiting the dome, the path takes visitors past another 1,500 square foot exhibit- this time separated by harp wire, containing another African carnivore- the Bat-Eared Fox. This habitat will be built into the rock work of the building, and will be designed rather similarly to the swift fox and ocelot habitats of the Sonoran Desert section. Once past the fox habitat, visitors will then exit this large and inspirational building, arriving in the zoo's largest section, a five-part exhibit complex highlighting five different unique habitats on the continent of Africa. Later today, I will post part one of this incredible Journey Through Africa. This African complex will feature both some of the habitats you'd expect to be featured in an Africa section, as well as some that may surprise you. As always, feel free to comment any suggestions, critiques, questions, or compliments, as well as any guesses as to what these five African habitats will be.

Species Count in This Section: 16
    Mammals: 8
    Birds: 5
    Reptiles: 3
    Fish: 0
    Invertebrates: 0

Cumulative Species Count: 41
    Mammals: 14
    Birds: 12
    Reptiles: 10

Last edited: 20 Nov 2022
  14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I suggest that the Namib Desert area has some Welwitschia plants - this is one of the weirdest plants in the world.

ifesbob and Neil chace like this.
  15. Haliaeetus

Ahhh... Black-footed Cats! At least one species that I would like to be back in Europe.

Neil chace likes this.
  16. Neil chace

Once exiting the Deserts of the World Building, visitors are immediately transported to the Journey Through Africa. This themed complex is separated into five sections, each themed to a different part of Africa. Some of these sections are areas completely expected, and covered by many zoos, while some of these may surprise you. Since a lot of African animals may be found in multiple regions, some species were incorporated into multiple sections, either through large habitats or multiple habitats. The first section of Journey Through Africa picks up directly where the Deserts dome ends, in Namibia. The first habitat in Namibia also happens to be the largest habitat in the entire zoo, a five-acre outdoor habitat for the zoo's African Elephants. While we already covered the elephants' indoor enclosure, this is the first of two outdoor elephant exhibits, the other of which will be covered in a later section. This elephant habitat is a much more desert based habitat, hence the Namibia section, whilst the other habitat will have more water features and vegetation. The idea is to give the elephant herd the choice of location, allowing them the opportunities to utilize all three habitats whenever possible, giving them the autonomy to decide where they would like to be- including on what substrate and in which habitat. This habitat, for instance, will predominately have a basic dirt/sand type of substrate, along with minimal vegetation and some rocks. To add to the realism factor, this outdoor yard will in fact be a mixed species exhibit. While the indoors one will be reserved for elephants only (I'm not sure what the possibilities are to keep the smaller animals out, but I'm sure there's a way it can be done), this outdoor yard will be shared with Ostriches, Greater Kudu, South African Springbok, and Impala. These four species will also have access to another exhibit, in a separate section that will be covered later. Allowing all of these species access to multiple exhibits, with multiple different mixed species opportunities, will allow for a very unique, realistic zoo experience for guests- where you aren't sure what you are going to see where. This also connects well to the area's name, Journey Through Africa, as in addition to the guests journeying through five areas, many of the animals can also journey through different biomes. Opposite the large elephant savanna, two smaller (but still very large) habitats will feature other megafauna that can be found in Namibia. Firstly, a 30,000 square foot paddock will be shared between a bachelor herd of Hartmann's Mountain Zebras and a breeding herd of Gemsbok. While this may be the most risky mix in the zoo, there should be enough space to make it work. However, as a contingency plan, there is a second, 20,000 square foot exhibit that the species could rotate through as need be (alternatively, this could apply to individuals as well, if some individuals aren't getting along. This second exhibit will not be accessible to the public. Overlooking this zebra/gemsbok exhibit, in a predator-prey like fashion, is a 20,000 square foot exhibit for a single-sex trio of Cheetahs. While nothing overly impressive, this is enough space to create a really nice cheetah exhibit, and an opportunity to display this beautiful cats. Overlooking both these habitats will be a zoo restaurant, Predator-Prey Cafe, with a focus on African-style cuisine and sustainable dining choices. After passing by these two habitats, and continuing past the rest of the elephant barn, visitors are then led over a bridge into the next section of Africa, featuring many more iconic favorites.

Species Count This Section: 7
    Mammals: 6
    Birds: 1

Cumulative Species Count: 48
    Mammals: 20
    Birds: 13
    Reptiles: 10

17. Neil chace

When visitors are crossing the bridge out of Namibia, they can get one last look at the African Elephants from their right side, while on their left side, they can see a much more grassy habitat, and their first look into one of the most iconic habitats in the entire continent, the Masai Mara. Uniquely, this bridge prevents the elephants from crossing into Masai Mara, while allowing the smaller species the chance to cross into Masai Mara, allowing them the choice of both location, the type of exhibit they are in (i.e. sandy vs. grassy), and what other species to interact with, or even be in the same space as. While the kudu, impala, springbok, and ostrich have access to both habitats, the Masai Mara habitat also has another species present that does not have access to the Namibia side: Masai Giraffes. These incredible, fan favorite animals are one of the most classic residents of the African Savanna, and have access to a large, grassy savanna exhibit- almost two acres large. This grassy habitat is visible from multiple vantage points- with visitors able to see it from almost any point on the path through the Masai Mara. However, there are also a number of smaller habitats visitors will pass while walking through this section. The first of these habitats after passing the bridge is a 1,000-square foot netted habitat for a breeding pair of Lappet-faced Vultures. Signage at this habitat will discuss the importance of these birds (and other scavengers) to the world's ecosystems along with the challenges affecting them. After the vultures, visitors can pass a second aviary- home to a pair of Grey Crowned Cranes, along with some rescued African Spurred Tortoises. While these tortoises are often overlooked by zoos, who use them primarily as a filler animal, this is still an endangered species that can lead to some very unique conservation education opportunities, about responsible pet ownership amongst other issues. This tortoise/crane habitat will be fairly large, at around 2,000 square feet- allowing the zoo to lead by example and show how much space people should dedicate to these tortoises, despite them often being sold when they're very small. Once past these two aviaries, visitors reach the biggest savanna overlook- allowing an expansive look over the entire two-acre habitat, and hopefully the giraffes and other animals utilizing it. This overlook will also be home to a giraffe feeding station, something very typical of zoos that keep giraffes. On the other side of this overlook, however, is a 3,000 square foot netted habitat, home to a large troop of Patas Monkeys. These savanna monkeys will make a very unique display animal, especially if the zoo is able to get a large breeding troop. This habitat will feature two viewing windows, making it extremely likely visitors can see the animals, even if it is such a large habitat for them. On the other side of the patas monkeys, the fourth and final netted habitat of this area displays a Serval. Across from the servals, and in front of the large giraffe exhibit, is the second largest habitat in this section, a large half-acre home for a pride of African Lions. Large plexiglass viewing windows will be situated on two sides of this habitat, allowing visitors an up-close look at Africa's largest cats. This habitat will be set up like a predator-prey style exhibit, with a hidden barrier separating it from the large giraffe habitat, giving visitors the perception these animals all share the same home, as if they were on a safari in Kenya. Past the lions, visitors can then enter the large Masai Mara Interpretive Center, allowing visitors one last look at the lion habitat, before reaching the indoor habitats for the giraffes. These indoor habitats will allow visitors to see the giraffes year-round, even when it is too cold for them outside. Along with the giraffes, two other habitats are present within the Interpretive Center, namely a classic tunnel-style exhibit for a Naked Mole Rat colony, and an aviary (behind harp wire, not walk-through) for a number of Kenyan bird species. Providing ground-level interest to this aviary is a pair of Spotted Dikkops, while other species that call this aviary home are Taveta Golden Weavers, Superb Starlings, Golden-Breasted Starlings, Speckled Mousebirds, and Lady Ross' Turaco. All six of these bird species will provide an engaging display of some of the small birds that share a home with the large, traditional megafauna visitors associate with the African Savanna. Once finished with the Masai Mara Interpretive Center, visitors can continue through a pair of doors into this building's second half- featuring wildlife from a third African region, which will be discussed next time. Feel free to leave your guesses for this region below.

Species Count In This Section: 13
    Mammals: 4
    Birds: 8
    Reptiles: 1

Cumulative Species Count: 61
    Mammals: 24
    Birds: 21
    Reptiles: 11

18. Neil chace

I meant to get a second update out yesterday, but life got in the way, my apologies. A November snow storm disrupted my school schedule, which in turn disrupted my travel home for Thanksgiving. It's a little difficult to type of a post when you're driving a car for eight hours straight! Anyways, here is what I would've posted yesterday afternoon.

Before reaching the third section of Africa, and the second within this building, a single room with just one exhibit represents another unique African habitat, meaning I suppose this whole Journey Through Africa takes you through six different parts of the continent. Anyways, this room is home to just one, very large fish tank- taking up the entire fifty feet of wall, representing Africa's Lake Victoria. As one can probably guess, this tank is home to a large school of Lake Victoria Cichlids. To my understanding, there are multiple species of such present in AZA institutions, and as such, this tank will be home to three of these species, Haplochromis melanopterus, piceatus, and degeni. If it is not possible to mix these species (either due to interbreeding or interspecific competition/aggression/predation), which I'm not sure of since I'm not a fish expert, then instead of one large, 50-ft. long aquarium, dividers will be inserted to separate it into three, 17-ft. long aquariums, with all three seemingly connected aquariums, in fact keeping the fish separated. If any fish experts on here can let me know if these species are able to mix, that'd be greatly appreciated. A separate window, across from the cichlid tank, will provide visitors with a behind-the-scenes viewing opportunity, into the zoo's African Cichlid Lab, which allows behind-the-scenes breeding of these three species along with various research projects and ex-situ conservation efforts relating to Lake Victoria cichlids. Furthermore, this wall will also feature a number of educational graphics explaining some fascinating information about Lake Victoria Cichlids, including conservation/the Lake Victoria extinction crisis, evolution, adaptive radiation, and speciation. Furthermore, signage will discuss the behavioral differences between similar fish species that live in the same lakes, and niche partitioning (i.e. some feed in shallower waters, some in deeper waters, etc.) Hopefully this afternoon I will release the next part of this zoo, which starts directly where we are leaving off, as visitors head through doors into a third section of this building, highlighting the wildlife of a fourth incredible African habitat.

Species Count in This Section: 3
    Fish: 3

Cumulative Species Count: 64
    Mammals: 24
    Birds: 21
    Reptiles: 11
    Fish: 4

19. Haliaeetus

More cichlid species would be better for such a large exhibit, otherwise it would be quite boring for the visitors.
    It's frequent to see large schools of mixed-species cichlids in public aquaria and zoos.

The next habitat will host, in my opinion, large aquatic animals like Nile Hippos and Crocodiles, perhaps some antelopes and waterfowl, to remain in the aquatic biomes.

20. Neil chace

Thank you! I wasn't aware of whether mixing cichlid species was something that's common or not. Really I think most people wouldn't care about the difference between a large number of fish of the same species and of different species. Three cichlid species is still quite a bit of diversity, and allows education about speciation and adaptive radiation, of which African cichlids are one of the strongest examples of. I don't really want to overcrowd tanks and exhibits with species, however, as while I love mixed species exhibits, I don't really like going overboard with too many species in one exhibit. Three cichlids is a good number to have.

PaddyRickMFZ and Haliaeetus like this.