Join our zoo community

My Ideal Large Zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Neil chace, 19 Nov 2022.

1. Haley

Haley Well-Known Member

One Idea that I think would be interesting is a lion and a hyena exhibit next to each other, with the illusion that they're in the same habitat (with a hidden barrier), and there could be signage that talks about the rivalry lions and hyenas have in the wild.

BenFoxster likes this.
  2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While @Haliaeetus made a good guess with continuing in the aquatics realm, and there are other aquatic African species planned for this zoo, remember that this Journey Through Africa is continuing through this large indoor section, meaning that we have one more stop to make first. Our fourth, out of six, African habitats, and one that most of you would've included on the list of six habitats you'd expect to be included, is headed deep into the heart of Africa, the Congo Rainforest. Once the doors to this lush, Rainforest paradise open, the first thing that visitors will be captivated by is the loud noises of a waterfall, sending water down 20 feet into a large pond, home to the zoo's breeding pair of West African Dwarf Crocodiles. While I find small crocodilians often aren't featured super prominently in zoos, I feel as though it would make a unique and engaging habitat to see a larger habitat for these fascinating animals. The large pool will be approximately 300 square feet, with the crocodiles having access to an additional 500 square feet of land area as well. Above the crocodiles, there will be lush vegetation to replicate this jungle environment. This habitat will not be separated from visitors by glass or mesh- and will instead provide visitors a close-up view of these crocodilians from a bridge, with only a standard railing standing between humans and crocodilians. The water from the crocodile's pond will turn into a stream and continue under this bridge, where it ends up on the opposite side inside a habitat for Blue Duikers. The blue duikers, an adorable and fascinating small antelope species, will share their 800 square foot exhibit with a trio of Congo bird species: the Great Blue Turaco, Green Woodhoopoes, and African Pygmy Geese. This habitat will in a sense mirror that of the crocodilians, with both having prominent pools, very little separation from the visitor path, and providing large homes for often overlooked species. While technically there is nothing stopping the birds from crossing into the crocodilian side of the room, the visitor path will be designed in such a way as to dissuade them, and I wouldn't expect the crocodilians to eat any of these three species either (especially not the turacos). One of the main ways this dissuasion will occur is through the use of light, as rather than being a traditional geodesic dome rainforest, only the duiker/bird side will be a geodesic dome, providing the light that these diurnal species need. The crocodile side and visitor path will be much more dimmed, dissuading the birds from leaving their side of the building and better replicating the dark, forest floor and the nocturnal behavior of these crocodiles. While this may seem like the lighting being opposites could cause confusion, this would not be the case as the habitats are not directly across from each other, rather visitors pass by the crocodiles on their left, before following the steam as it goes under a bridge to the birds and duikers on their right. Built into the rockwork between these two habitats (next to the crocodiles and across from the beginning of the duiker habitat) is a small terrarium featuring a glow-in-the-dark invertebrate: the Emperor Scorpion. Highlighting this unique adaptation, the exhibit will be illuminated through ultra violet lights, so visitors are able to get the full experience of these incredible animals. The last habitats before leaving the building will be much more akin to traditional zoo exhibits, as they are two traditional day rooms for the zoo's African primates. While there is a large, 5,000 square foot day room on the left-hand side of the path, I will save talk of this species until the outdoor habitat is reached. The day room on the right, much smaller at 1,500 square feet, rotates between two groups of residents, with the other having access to the larger outdoor habitat (in nice weather). One of these groups of animals is a family group of Angolan Colobus Monkeys, while the other is a mixed-species habitat featuring breeding pairs of Allen's Swamp Monkeys and Schmidt's Guenons. Once passing by these day rooms, visitors are led back outside, where they are first greeted by the outdoor habitat for these monkeys, housing whichever ones weren't seen indoors. On the other side, however, is a 15,000 square foot yard for the zoo's troop of eight Bonobos. These unique apes, one of humanity's closest relatives, will have access to this large outdoor yard, completely furnished with large climbing frames, and a waterfall in the backdrop, leading into a pool. While this may be one of the zoo's least naturalistic looking exhibits, functionality takes precedence over naturalistic design, and frankly I'd rather see exhibits decked out with manmade climbing frames than the grassy fields often home to great apes. Across from the bonobos, a 3,000 square foot muddy grotto will be the home of a breeding trio of Red River Hogs. These unique and colorful hogs, while common in zoos, remain an attractive and popular species that makes great exhibit animals. This habitat will, in addition to the 3,000 square feet of land, feature a 500 square foot pool. Past the hogs, visitors reach the final two enclosures of the Congo, two identical 10,000 square yards for the zoo's pair of Okapi. These two habitats, while mainly grassy fields, will also feature a number of different trees and other vegetation, providing a much more natural environment for the animals. Allowed access to both of the habitats (due to the width of the fence between them) is a pair of Red-Flanked Duikers. This concludes the fourth stop on this Journey Through Africa, leaving just two more stops to go before leaving the continent. If anyone has any guesses of what these final two stops will be, or if anyone is surprised by one of the stops made so far, feel free to comment down below.

Species Count in This Section: 13
    Mammals: 8
    Birds: 3
    Reptiles: 1
    Invertebrates: 1

Cumulative Species Count: 77
    Mammals: 32
    Birds: 24
    Reptiles: 12
    Amphibians: 0 (I promise this won't stay this way forever, although it sure seems like it is)
    Fish: 4
    Invertebrates: 5

3. Neil chace

Once past the okapis/duikers, the foliage starts to become less dense as the path slowly starts to climb at an incline, heading out of the forests and into the Ethiopian Highlands. This area, featuring various endangered species native to the country of Ethiopia, is situated on much rockier terrain, simulating the natural environment of this unique habitat. Before reaching any of the big attractions, visitors get their first introduction to this region through a 1,500 square foot aviary for a breeding pair of Abyssinian Ground Hornbills. Following the path past this aviary, visitors reach a large, rocky, 20,000 square foot habitat, for the zoo's troop of Gelada. This large, breeding troop would ideally be upwards of 20 individuals, but as very few US zoos keep this species, any number would be fine to start. This habitat will serve as the centerpiece of the Ethiopian section, visible from three sides of the habitat and from just about every section of path in Ethiopia. Opposite the path from the geladas, visitors will pass a series of five different ungulate paddocks. The first, and largest, of these paddocks, will be a 30,000 square foot habitat for a herd of Grevy's Zebra. Both the largest and most endangered zebra species, this species will make a great display animal along with a great opportunity to contribute to conservation, both in-situ and ex-situ. Past the zebras, visitors will pass three consecutive, identical habitats. Each of these habitats will be approximately 10,000 square feet, and include rather basic grassy areas for some smaller antelope species to roam. All three of these species are somewhat rare in US Zoos, and keeping them would allow the zoo to assist some struggling SSPs for endangered species. These paddocks will be home to Soemmerring's Gazelle, Gerenuk, and Speke's Gazelle. Each of these paddocks will also have a few small trees in them to provide shade and a more naturalistic home, and there will be a rock backdrop for all five ungulate habitats, allowing them to fit the feel of an Ethiopian exhibit. The final of these habitats will mirror the zebra habitat, although is slightly smaller at 20,000 square feet. This habitat will feature another equid species, the Somali Wild Ass. This is another very unique species for the zoo to keep, and one the zoo can contribute to conservation efforts both in-situ and ex-situ for. After passing by the ass paddock, and getting a last look at the geladas, visitors reach the largest habitat in the Ethiopian Highlands, at slightly over an acre. Ideally, this habitat would've held an endangered carnivore of the Ethiopian Highlands that is not present in US Zoos, the Ethiopian wolf. If any opportunities arise to receive this incredible species, the zoo would jump on the opportunity. However, until that day (likely never) comes, this rocky recreation of the Ethiopian Highlands will be home to another carnivore from this region, the Spotted Hyenas. By having such a large hyena habitat, ideally the zoo will be able to do a better job of simulating the natural social structures of these animals, rather than the pairs that they are most commonly seen displayed in at zoos. While this may be a very large exhibit for the hyenas, it will have a significant viewing area, making it easier to see the hyenas. In a way, this habitat will be narrow and long, allowing visitors to see the hyenas from over 500 feet of elevated viewing. Once past the hyenas, visitors have reached the highest elevation in the Journey Through Africa. From this point, visitors can get a wide, panoramic view of the Ethiopian Highlands, seeing the gelada, hyena, and ungulate exhibits, along with a view of the Congo Rainforest, Masai Mara, and Namibia sections in the distance, and a first look at the next, and final, region of this Journey Through Africa.

Species Count In This Section: 8
    Mammals: 7
    Birds: 1

Cumulative Species Count: 85
    Mammals: 39 (45.8%)
    Birds: 25 (29.4%)
    Reptiles: 12 (14.1%)
    Amphibians: 0 (0.0%)
    Fish: 4 (4.7%)
    Invertebrates: 5 (5.9%)

So far, this zoo, especially Journey Through Africa, has certainly had a mammal-centric look at the world of animals, something that does seem common amongst zoos. While there will be many more mammals on display, from now on the percentage of the collection comprised of mammals should start to decrease, as this final region of Africa contains a significant non-mammal component, followed by some areas which display numerous non-mammals. While currently just under half of the collection is mammals, the zoo will not stay this way, and the number of mammals will hopefully drop to around a third of the collection by the zoo's end.

4. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really enjoy reading your zoo concept Neil, I was wondering a question however; any chance in the future, perhaps when the zoos wrapped up, there's a chance for a visual map of the zoo? Giving your descriptions a bit more visuals and really bringing it all together?

Haliaeetus and ZooElephantMan like this.
  5. Neil chace

I'm not the most artistic person, but I can certainly try. That will be after the rest of the zoo is complete so as to show everything/not spoil anything.

ZooElephantMan and Ursus like this.
  6. Neil chace

To end off our Journey Through Africa, the path will take us down into the wetlands of Botswana's Okavango Delta, with unique habitats for a number of species, both new and that we've seen before. To start off this wetlands journey, visitors can enter the largest aviary in the zoo, a 20,000 square foot walk-through aviary for the zoo's flock of Greater Flamingoes. These flamingoes will be fully flighted, and the aviary will be designed in a way so that they can truly exhibit their flight behaviors, something it's a shame more zoos don't incorporate into flamingo exhibits. The zoo's flock of thirty greater flamingoes will share this aviary with a number of other Botswanan bird species that frequent water habitats, White-faced Whistling Ducks, Hadada Ibis, Hamerkop, African Spoonbill, and Yellow-billed Storks. All of these birds will share this huge aviary, and with the exception of hamerkops, will each be kept in large flocks of 10+ birds. Most of the ground space in this aviary will be flooded, to replicate the wetlands home these birds share, while there will be some limited land areas as well (enough for all the birds to choose to stay on land). Plenty of flying space and elevated nesting sites will also be included, encouraging the birds to fly as they choose. Seeing a flamingo fly would be a truly remarkable opportunity for zoo visitors, as it is rare for zoos to choose to exhibit flamingoes in this fashion (which, in my opinion, is how they should be kept, in large aviaries). The visitor path through this aviary will be a long boardwalk, winding through the middle of the aviary, providing a great view of these incredible birds. Once exiting the aviaries, visitors may view a large, one acre habitat, for an endangered species in which Botswana is home to most of the wild population, African Wild Dogs. Keeping a large pack of these dogs can be a dynamic and interesting exhibit, and will give this zoo the unique/impressive feat of displaying four large African carnivores (lion, cheetah, hyena, wild dog). Once past the wild dogs, visitors may look to their right and see the return of some animals they saw earlier- with a three acre yard for the zoo's African Elephant herd. By providing the elephants a choice between multiple habitats, both an indoor desert, outdoor arid, dry habitat, and a wetlands-based habitat, this will provide a great chance for this animals to get autonomy of choice, and the ability to decide what type of habitat to reside in. From an educational perspective, this is also important as it shows how diverse the habitats these elephants can call home. This wetlands elephant habitat will include two large pools, both for drinking and swimming, along with grassy banks and some large trees planted, allowing a very different elephant habitat than that of the Namibia section. By providing such an enriching elephant area, with mixed species, choices of habitats, and more, hopefully this zoo can serve as a model for the correct way to be exhibiting elephants, and the best possible welfare for these incredible animals. Note that this side of the elephant habitat and the Namibia side are connected through a short behind-the-scenes pathway near the Deserts Dome, and despite being so far apart on the walking trail, one of the habitats does back right up onto the other. The Wetlands side is also open to the other animals in the mix, although I would not expect the wetter ground of the wetlands to be an appealing habitat choice for them, though I could be wrong. Across from the elephants are habitats for another very large pachyderm, the Hippopotamus. The zoo will display a large bloat of these hippos, a minimum of six or seven, and ideally upwards of ten. This habitat will feature two large pools in addition to a spacious grassy paddock, for an overall 1:1 ratio of land space to water space. All-in-all, this hippo exhibit will be the second largest habitat in the zoo (after the Namibia elephants habitat), at approximately four acres (each pond being an acre, and the total land space being two acres). Noticeably absent from this hippo exhibit is the presence of underwater viewing, instead opting to display hippos at ground-level. Once past the elephant viewing areas, the path continues onto a bridge over one of the hippo pools, allowing visitors to view these animals from above when they are swimming. Once past the hippos, visitors will reach the final stop in Africa, Hippo Harbor Restaurant, a unique dining experience overlooking the hippo habitat. Inside Hippo Harbor Restaurant is an exclusive look at the hippos underwater, as one entire wall of the restaurant will be a 100-foot underwater viewing window, allowing visitors to see the hippos swim as they enjoy their meal. Once past this restaurant, the Journey Through Africa has officially concluded! Next up, visitors are led behind the back of the Deserts of the World building in an exhibit featuring a completely different continent (including one species we've met already). At this point, visitors have seen approximately half the zoo area-wise, but less than half of the animals in the collection, as Africa was home to a number of spacious yards (7.5 acres for two elephant yards, 4 acres for hippos, 2 acre giraffe savanna, hyenas, wild dogs, etc.), while coming up will be many more small-to-medium sized exhibits, with a few larger ones mixed in (I did promise two more pachyderms, three bear species, and a second great ape species will be included).

New Species Count for This Section: 8
    Mammals: 2 (25.0%)
    Birds: 6 (75.0%)

Cumulative Species Count: 93
    Mammals: 41 (44.1%)
    Birds: 31 (33.3%)
    Reptiles: 12 (12.9%)
    Amphibians: 0 (0.0%)
    Fish: 4 (4.3%)
    Invertebrates: 5 (5.4%)

7. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, now I really wonder what your last two pachyderm species will be. I think it would be safe to assume they won't be African species, since it sounded like the Africa section of the zoo is done. From Asia, the two main pachyderm options would be Indian rhinos or Asian elephants-- but it is pretty rare for zoos to have Asian and African elephants in separate dedicated exhibits, so I am not sure if that is something you would go for here. The only other main options I can think of for non-African pachyderms are the two tapir species, but I feel like often people use the word pachyderm to just refer to elephants, rhinos, and hippos, and so I am not sure whether Tapirs would count in your use of the term at all. However, I do think that including a tapir species would be far more likely than including another species of elephant in the zoo. If you went for a tapir species, this also begs the question of if you'd go for Baird's or Malayan Tapirs. I think Malayan might be less likely, since you might not want too many pachyderm species from the same continents as each other in order to spread out your animal diversity throughout the zoo. So for now, I am betting that your remaining pachyderm species will be Baird's Tapirs and Indian Rhinos.

8. Neil chace

Once past this restaurant, the path will continue into a second continental region, focusing on the wildlife of South America. This area will be a much smaller part of the zoo than Africa, split into just two sections, an indoor Rainforest and first, an outdoor trail dedicated to the wildlife of Bolivia. The first habitat, which also happens to be the largest in the South America section, is a 1-acre Las Pampas themed habitat, highlighting this Grasslands home for three incredible South American species: Maned Wolves, Giant Anteaters, and Greater Rhea. This unique mixed species Pampas exhibit will be a very interesting habitat from an educational perspective, as it highlights a different part of South America not often represented in zoos- Las Pampas, the South American Grasslands. This large grassy habitat will also feature a small pool feature, primarily for the anteaters, and is overlooked by a rockier habitat for a large South American carnivore, the Puma. A large, 5,000-square foot habitat for these cats, which will be non-releasable rescues, and will feature large rocky climbing features simulating the Andes mountain range. Signage near the pumas will discuss the important wildlife of the Incas, and the cultural/religious significance of both the pumas and our next residents, the Andean Condors. A series of two, very tall aviaries will house both these incredible condors and another interesting South American raptor, the King Vulture. Following these raptors, visitors will get another look at a species that was already seen earlier, in the Deserts of the World building. This species, of course, is the Jaguar. This outdoor habitat will be approximately 5,000 square feet, and provide an outdoor home to these incredible cats. Unlike their desert habitat, this one will be Rainforest themed, with a large water feature (including underwater viewing) and is heavily planted with trees and other foliage. Past the Jaguars will be a trio of outdoor primate habitats, featuring small species: Bolivian Grey Titi Monkeys, Bearded Emperor Tamarins, and Goeldi's Monkeys. Each of these species will have a 500 square foot habitat, planted heavily and featuring a number of climbing opportunities. Behind these habitats, a small building will feature indoor habitats for all three primate species, along with a terrarium for Lake Titicaca Frogs. On the other side of this building, two large 10,000 square foot habitats will house a breeding pair of Andean Bears. These habitats will both feature large ponds and waterfalls, along with large climbing frames and foliage, replicating the natural habitat of these bears. After the bears, visitors will reach the final habitat on the Bolivia trail- a large walk-through aviary for a flock of Chilean Flamingos. Sharing this habitat with the Flamingos is a pair of Coscoroba Swans, Andean Geese, Puna Teals, and Chiloe Wigeons. These waterfowl will add additional interest to this large aviary, along with the Flamingos. Also in this aviary, utilizing a number of trees and climbing opportunities, will be fully flighted flocks of Blue-Throated and Red-Fronted Macaws. These are both endangered species, for which the zoo can contribute both ex-situ and in-situ conservation for. Once past this aviary, visitors have reached a large building, featuring more South American wildlife, focusing on the Amazon Rainforest. Hopefully later today I'll get the description of that building out, but if not it'll be tomorrow morning. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating, and have a great day regardless if you are not!

Species Count In This Section: 18
    Mammals: 7 (38.9%)
    Birds: 10 (55.5%)
    Amphibians: 1 (5.6%)

Cumulative Species Count: 111
    Mammals: 48 (43.2%)
    Birds: 41 (36.9%)
    Reptiles: 12 (10.8%)
    Amphibians: 1 (0.9%)
    Fish: 4 (3.6%)
    Invertebrates: 5 (4.5%)

9. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This needs to happen.

Haley likes this.
  10. Neil chace

Personally, I disagree with this, at least in the context of this zoo. It's a neat idea, and if this was a very carnivore-centric zoo I'd consider it, but as you can probably tell from reading the posts so far, most of the zoo's large carnivores are fairly spread out, with all four large African carnivores located in a different section of Journey Through Africa, and, which you'll see even more so going forward, the majority of the collection is not carnivores. Large carnivores are great, but there are plenty of other incredible animals that deserve to be exhibited prominently as well. As such, while these carnivores are present in the African area, they take a back seat to the many lesser-known ungulates, primates, and non-mammals that share this incredible continent with them, and don't serve as the anchors to the various sections, but rather support sections of the zoo that'd be just fine without them. Of course in the Bolivia section I posted this morning, large carnivores are a bigger part of the trail, with both pumas and jaguars, plus Andean bears and maned wolves, two raptor species, etc., but the Bolivia exhibit is the anomaly in this regard, and is more due to what species from the country are present in US Zoos rather than any thematic reason for all the carnivores- I wanted to feature Bolivia prominently due to being a South American country largely forgotten about, and due to the rare endemic parrots (especially blue-throated macaws). Going forward, most of the areas will have largely non-carnivore (or even non-mammalian) focuses, with only two exceptions for areas that prominently feature carnivores (feel free to guess if you'd like to what these areas are). Stay tuned, and later tonight I will be posting the next section (which does not have a big carnivore focus, and is primarily non-mammals.

Haley likes this.
  11. Neil chace

Heading inside the Amazon River Basin, a building that is approximately half an acre large, visitors are taken through a small Interpretive exhibit, themed like a research hut, with interactive displays talking about rainforests and Rainforest conservation. While the focus of this area is not on Animal exhibits, five large terrariums built into the walls of the room will feature various small animals of the Amazon River Basin, namely Emerald Tree Boa, Goliath Bird-Eating Tarantula, Amazon Milk Frogs, Yellow-banded Poison Dart Frogs, and Dyeing Poison Dart Frogs. Once past the research hut and terrariums, visitors may open the doors into a large atrium- home to the rest of the exhibits in this building. The first exhibit for visitors to notice is one of the two primate habitats in this building, located off to their left. In a floor-to-ceiling mesh habitat, Pied Tamarins and Golden Lion Tamarins can be seen climbing and playing on the many branches of this heavily planted area. On the ground level of this habitat, a pair of Red-Rumped Agoutis share this habitat with them. The fourth and final species in this dynamic mixed species habitat is another climbing mammal, though one less active than the tamarins, the Southern Tamandua, a fascinating and unique creature that can make a popular attraction. The majority of this atrium is made up of a single habitat, the 15,000 square foot Amazon Aviary, of which half the floor is land, and half the floor is water, to allow for a number of Aquatic species to be included. While many of the species included are birds, there are a few prominent non-birds on display as well. The largest animals in this aviary, for instance, is a small group of Capybara, who could be found either in the water or resting on the shores. Similarly, three species of Turtle also give this watery forest floor home, the Arrau River Turtle, Yellow-Spotted Amazon River Turtle, and Big-Headed Amazon River Turtle. Along with these species, climbing in the tree tops will be a much more difficult to spot species- a breeding pair of Hoffmann's Two-Toed Sloth. The final non-bird of this exhibit can be found in a more densely forested part, inaccessible to the capybaras to allow the smaller species some escape. This species is a fourth Rainforest chelonian, the Red-Footed Tortoise. As this is an aviary, and since birds are such a prominent part of the Amazon Rain Forest, the majority of animals in this atrium are of course birds. A pair of Hyacinth Macaws and a pair of Green-Winged Macaws, despite being flighted and having access to the whole aviary, will have some specialized perches near the aviary's entrance, located on small islands above the pond. These two sets of perches will be connected by some realistic-looking vines, allowing the Macaws to climb between them if they so choose. Other birds in the aviary are Blue-Throated Piping Guans, Sunbittern, Boat-billed Heron, Guira Cuckoo, Scarlet Ibis, Green-Backed Trogon, Red-Crested Cardinal, Giant Wood Rail, Roseate Spoonbill, Ringed Teals, and Yellow-Rumped Caciques. Once past this very large aviary, visitors are able to head down a ramp into the lower level of the building, with some underwater exhibits and some reptile displays. This area starts with a large terrarium for a South American Bushmaster, and then visitors are taken past a series of habitats for aquatic reptiles, each of which includes underwater viewing. The first of these habitats exhibits two Cuvier's Dwarf Caimans, followed by an exhibit for a Green Anaconda, and a mixed species exhibit for Matamata Turtles and Caiman Lizards. Heading further into this aquatics cave, visitors see the first of three aquariums, which also happens to be the smallest. This first Aquarium features Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, and Freshwater Angelfish. While these are rather common (some may say pet store) Fish species, they can still make a unique display with some interesting educational opportunities. The second aquarium will contain a bigger fish species, the Red-Bellied Piranha. The third and final aquarium, also the largest, will include a number of large fish species, Arapaima, Black Pacu, White-Blotched River Stingray, and Red-Tailed Catfish. After passing this large aquarium, a ramp takes visitors back to the main level, alongside a large underwater viewing window for an aquatic mammal species, the Giant River Otter. A pair of these Otters will share a 5,000 square foot exhibit- including both large underwater portions and a large land portion, with even more viewing opportunities from ground level. Alongside this aboveground otter viewing, the opposite side of the path gives visitors a second look at the large Amazon Aviary, and all of the bird species, capybaras, sloths, and turtles. Near the exit of this atrium, visitors pass by the second primate habitat, which is identical to the first one and containing some larger Primates, a mixed species exhibit for Black-and-Gold Howler Monkeys and Pale-Faced Sakis. Across from this habitat, a spiral staircase leads visitors onto the building's second story, which includes canopy-level viewing of both primate habitats and the large aviary. Heading out of this building, visitors can continue down the zoo's main path into an area of the zoo with a different theme than anything seen at this zoo so far (feel free to share your guesses for what's next).

Species Count In This Section: 44
    Mammals: 9 (20.5%)
    Birds: 13 (29.5%)
    Reptiles: 10 (22.7%)
    Amphibians: 3 (6.8%)
    Fish: 8 (18.1%)
    Invertebrates: 1 (2.3%)

Cumulative Species Count: 155
    Mammals: 57 (36.8%)
    Birds: 54 (34.8%)
    Reptiles: 22 (14.2%)
    Amphibians: 4 (2.6%)
    Fish: 12 (7.7%)
    Invertebrates: 6 (3.9%)

12. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

"The fourth and final species in this dynamic mixed species habitat is another climbing mammal, though one less active than the tamarins, the Southern Tamandua, a fascinating and unique creature that can make a popular attraction."

This species is interesting, but (as far as I know) it is often sleepy and therefore its sight may be disappointing. My experience is based on my "sights" in one or two zoos and it may not reflect all the cases.
    Do you know if it's possible to display "active" animals (without affecting the animal welfare) and how ?

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. Neil chace

I have seen them active before at two zoos, so they certainly can be active, not sure what needs to happen for that to occur though, if anything specific. Regardless, if the tamanduas aren't active, they are sharing their exhibit with tamarins and agouti, which are more active and means its less of a loss if the tamandua is a particularly sleepy individual.

PaddyRickMFZ and Haliaeetus like this.
  14. Neil chace

Heading out of South America, our main path through the zoo leaves the continental framework behind us. Instead, our next zoo exhibit complex will focus on Islands, featuring wildlife from diverse corners of the globe. While many associate Islands zoo exhibits with Southeast Asia, and there are certainly species from this region present in this trail, a much broader set of islands also are featured, including Madagascar, the Galapagos, New Zealand, Japan, the British Isles, the Caribbean, Hawaii, and more. While with some of these areas you can probably reasonably assume what species will be included, there will also definitely be some surprises as well! At the start of the Islands trail, there are a series of smaller sub-sections, each focusing on one or two species from various Island habitats. This morning, all three of these mini-areas will be covered in this post. The first stop on the Islands trail, Tortoise Territory, focuses on some classic Island creatures, Galapagos Giant Tortoises and Aldabra Giant Tortoises. Two grassy 5,000 square foot habitats will introduce visitors to these island giants, along with how to tell these two species apart. Signage will introduce visitors to both of these islands, along with there being two life-size models of tortoise shells for kids to climb into, providing a photo-op as either tortoise species. Signage near the Galapagos Tortoises will also highlight Charles Darwin's expeditions to the Galapagos, and look at the distinct evolutionary features of Tortoises from different Galapagos Islands. Once back on the main path from this Tortoise off-shoot, visitors are greeted across the pathway by an artificial volcano, which safely "erupts" periodically throughout the day. Of course, this volcano is here to introduce visitors to the next sub-section, Hawaii. The zoo's Hawaii exhibit highlights only a single species, and one that is very important to the people of Hawaii, the Nene, or Hawaiian Goose. A 3,000 square foot habitat, featuring both a large pond and some grassy shores, will exhibit three breeding pairs of these incredible geese. The third, and final, of these sub-sections, also happens to be the largest, Sri Lankan Falls, featuring three large habitats for two unique species. First off, two standard 7,500 square foot habitats exhibit a breeding pair of Sloth Bears, and incredible and endangered species native to the island of Sri Lanka and the Indian Mainland. Signage will describe the differences between the two sloth bear subspecies, talking how the island habitat's selection pressures led to smaller bears than the Indian mainland, opposite as to the evolution of the Giant tortoises previously discussed. Both of these large habitats will feature a waterfall, crashing down on a rocky backdrop into two large pools, for both the bears and the other inhabitants of this exhibit, Asian Small-Clawed Otters (a species substitute for the Eurasian Otter, ASCOs can be found on islands in South East Asia, but not on Sri Lanka). These Otters will have access to both Sloth Bear habitats, along with their own 3,000 square foot otter-only habitat, which is connected to both Sloth bear habitats through streams passing under the visitor path, allowing the Otters but not the bears to inhabit this third exhibit, located across the path from both bear habitats, providing a safe space for the Otters to escape the sloth bears if they feel the need to. These stream passages can also be shut if necessary, allowing the Otters access to only their own habitat, or even allowing them access to one bear habitat but not the other. The otter-specific habitat will be approximately 50% water, with the rest being land areas. Later today, we will continue on our Islands Journey, picking up right after the Sri Lankan Falls, in a series of very unique Rotational Mixed Species exhibits, for some unique island species from around the world.

Species Count This Section: 5
    Mammals: 2 (40%)
    Birds: 1 (20%)
    Reptiles: 2 (40%)

Cumulative Species Count: 160
    Mammals: 59 (36.9%)
    Birds: 55 (34.4%)
    Reptiles: 24 (15.0%)
    Amphibians: 4 (2.5%)
    Fish: 12 (7.5%)
    Invertebrates: 6 (3.8%)

BenFoxster, TheGerenuk and Haliaeetus like this.
  15. Neil chace

The highlight of the Islands Complex is the series of "double rotational" exhibits. Each of these 7,500 square foot habitats will feature primates found on the world's islands, along with a number of other species that share their habitats. Interestingly, these mixes are not static, and which primates are paired with which ungulates on a given day is not always the same. Each 7,500 square foot habitat will include waterfalls leading into a large water feature, along with numerous climbing opportunities to encourage the primates to get off the ground and display a plethora of natural behaviors. Admittedly, these are not going to be the zoo's more naturalistic enclosures, instead leaning into a functional environment that still allows optimal animal welfare, although each habitat will still have a grassy floor and a few large trees will be present in each one. Due to the unique, rotational nature of this mix, I will not be describing these exhibits in a chronological order, as visitors could experience these animals in any order. On any given day, primates will have access to all six exhibits, where four of the six will have ungulates. One of the non-ungulate habitats will be home to the zoo's troop of Japanese Macaques. Given the fact macaques are a cold-tolerant primate, in the winter months, these macaques could be given access to multiple habitats when it's too cold for the other primates. The second non-ungulate habitat will contain four species, all from Madagascar. These are the Ring-Tailed Lemur, Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur, Crowned Lemur, and Radiated Tortoise. The four habitats with ungulates will contain different ungulates with different primates on each day, and sometimes even different ungulates mixed if necessary. For primates, the mixes contain Bornean Orangutans, Javan Gibbons, and Silvery Leaf Langurs, with two exhibits dedicated to the orangutans on each day, and one exhibit for each other primate. For ungulates, the habitats will contain breeding pairs of Malayan Tapir, Lowland Anoa, Northern Sulawesi Babirusa, and a breeding group of four Visayan Warty Pigs. While these breeding pairs are normally housed together, if necessary or when there are offspring, the tapirs or anoas could potentially be mixed with either wild pig species. To facilitate the rotations are a series of behind-the-scenes corridors for the ungulates, along with some overhead tunnels for the primates, with the tunnel between the two orangutan exhibits always open, to allow the orangutans access to both exhibits and the ungulates only access to their respective habitats. Following the path past these six habitats, visitors can enter the Islands Interpretive Center. While most of this building will be dedicated to various smaller habitats, the first room of the building will include two primate day rooms. One of the two day rooms will always be home to the zoo's orangutan troop, while the other day room will rotate between all of the other primates. Also in this room is an elevator and set of stair up to the second level of the interpretive center, allowing both an above-ground look at these two day rooms, and access to an elevated walkway past all six outdoor rotational habitats, so that visitors can see the primates from the arboreal level as well as from the ground.

Species Count In This Section: 12
    Mammals: 11 (91.7%)
    Reptiles: 1 (8.3%)

Cumulative Species Count: 172
    Mammals: 70 (40.7%)
    Birds: 55 (32.0%)
    Reptiles: 25 (14.5%)
    Amphibians: 4 (2.3%)
    Fish: 12 (7.0%)
    Invertebrates: 6 (3.5%)

16. Neil chace

As the Islands Interpretive Center covers a wide range of exhibits, with various different themes nestled within, I am going to break it down into two posts, this one describing the exhibits on the bottom floor, and the next post covering those on the top floor. Once visitors pass by the two primate day rooms on the first floor, the pathway will take visitors through a series of three different sections, each covering a different set of unique island species. The first of these sections is the Reptiles exhibit, focused on the many unique reptiles endemic to islands across the globe. A series of standard terrariums upon entrance to this section will highlight a number of naturalistic habitats for reptiles native to Southeast Asia, Madagascar, Santa Catalina, and the Caribbean. These terrariums feature Madagascar Tree Boa, Prehensile-tailed Skinks, Spider Tortoises, Aruba Island Rattlesnakes, Santa Catalina Island Rattlesnakes, and Jamaican Boa. After these six rather standard terrariums, visitors will encounter a series of larger reptile exhibits- starting with a large, mixed-species display for Roti Island Snake-necked Turtles and Green Tree Python, a unique mix that includes both aquatic and arboreal interest. Jamaican Iguanas, a unique and endangered iguana species will be held in the next habitat, a large habitat designed for a breeding pair of these lizards. Following the iguanas, a larger, 1,000 square foot habitat will exhibit the largest of all lizards- the Komodo Dragon, endemic to the island of Komodo. Following the Komodo Dragon habitat, the final three habitats in the reptile hallway feature different species of crocodilian. The first is a large 5,000 square foot mixed species habitat featuring underwater viewing for a breeding group of Tomistoma, along with Malayan Painted Terrapins and Fly River Turtles. This is by far the largest habitat in the reptile hallway, and will feature a breeding group with multiple pairs of tomistoma, the ideal set-up for breeding this incredible, unique species. Following the tomistoma mix, two identical, 1,000 square foot habitats will feature a pair of medium-sized crocodile species, both endangered and from opposite corners of the globe- the Philippine Crocodile and the Cuban Crocodile. A fourth crocodilian exhibit, typically left empty, will have glass windows typically fogged over- allowing an extra habitat if a breeding pair needs to be separated or to display any offspring the zoo produces. Past this extra habitat, visitors can pass through a large set of doors into a much darker room, the zoo's exhibit on Nocturnality. A series of six, floor-to-ceiling nocturnal habitats will feature uniquely adapted nocturnal species found in New Zealand, Tasmania, Madagascar, Malaysia, and Mauritius. Starting off this nocturnal journey is the Malaysia habitat, a 1,000 square foot habitat for a breeding colony of Malayan Flying Fox, unique megabats that can make an exciting and unique display (plus I just love fruit bats). Signage nearby will discuss the diversity of bat species in the world, their fascinating adaptations, and their importance to humankind, both as pollinators (such as the bats exhibited here) and as insect/pest control (such as the bats native to the USA). Not stopping with the bats, however, the second habitat, across from the malayan flying foxes, displays the Rodrigues Fruit Bat, another endangered bat species, this time found on Rodrigues Island of Mauritius. After passing by this pair of habitats for incredible bat species, visitors enter the world of Madagascar, starting with the smallest of six nocturnal exhibits, a mixed-species habitat for Tomato Frogs and Henkel's Leaf-Tailed Geckos. After passing this habitat, two larger Madagascar exhibits will display breeding pairs for two unique, nocturnal primate species- the Grey Mouse Lemur and the Aye-Aye. Both of these habitats will feature intricately designed climbing opportunities, allowing optimal habitats for both these incredible prosimians. The final habitat in the Nocturnality gallery features species from a pair of islands, New Zealand and Tasmania. These two bird species are the Northern Brown Kiwi and the Tawny Frogmouth. Rounding out the bottom-floor exhibits is an exhibit called Birds of the Island Coasts, featuring two habitats for seabirds from the Falkland Islands and the British Isles. First off is a large, rocky habitat resembling the cliffside habitats of the British Isles, featuring Atlantic Puffins. Designed similar to Saint Louis Zoo's puffin habitat, there will be no window separating the animals from visitors- preventing the common problem of water splashes disrupting visitor's viewing. After this habitat is a Falkland Islands exhibit, again designed off of Saint Louis Zoo, for a trio of penguin species from these islands, Gentoo, Southern Rockhopper, and King Penguins. Displaying twelve penguins each of southern rockhopper and king, plus twenty gentoo penguins, this habitat will feature a large, dynamic penguin colony for visitors to feel immersed into the habitat of the Falkland Islands. While designed off of the Saint Louis Zoo, this will be a much larger habitat- at approximately 10,000 square feet. Following these two seabird habitat, visitors can exit the building, to take an outdoor ramp up to the top story, passing by next to the ramp an outdoor aviary for New Zealand's Kea. Once upstairs, this balcony passes the entire side up to the front of the building, where visitors return to where we left off last time- at the second-story viewing for the primates. Next time, however, we will continue back indoors, where numerous more unique Island species can be found. Feel free to leave guesses as to what species will be included in this last stop on our Island Journey, before we head back ashore, with the zoo's next themed area.

Species Count This Section: 28
    Mammals: 4 (14.3%)
    Birds: 7 (25%)
    Reptiles: 16 (57.1%)
    Amphibians: 1 (3.6%)

Cumulative Species Count: 200 (we've reached the 200 mark! Don't worry though, we still have plenty more species left in this large zoo. Will we reach the 300 mark? Only time will tell)
    Mammals: 74 (37.0%)
    Birds: 62 (31.0%)
    Reptiles: 41 (20.5%)
    Amphibians: 5 (2.5%)
    Fish: 12 (6.0%)
    Invertebrates: 6 (3.0%)

17. Haliaeetus

The reptile section looks fine.

Neil chace likes this.
  18. Neil chace

Heading up to the second floor, and passing by the second story viewing for the two primate day rooms, visitors can then enter the second floor of the main interpretive center, many of which is dedicated to one, very large exhibit. Before reaching this large exhibit, however, visitors pass by habitats for two arboreal mammal species from island habitats. First up are two 1,000 square foot habitats for Matschie's Tree Kangaroos. The zoo will focus on breeding this incredible, unique, and endangered marsupial, keeping two day rooms for visitors to see the tree kangaroos along with five or six behind-the-scenes exhibits, allowing the zoo to keep a breeding group of up to six tree kangaroos, and giving each tree kangaroo their own space due to the solitary nature of the species. All of the tree kangaroos will rotate time on exhibit with time in their own respective holdings. After passing the pair of tree kangaroo exhibits, visitors reach a heavily planted, 3,000 square foot habitat for a breeding pair of Clouded Leopards. Once past the clouded leopards, visitors can enter through double doors the largest habitat of the interpretive center, and one located under a geodesic dome, the Islands Walk-through Aviary, which is just shy of 1 acre large. Only one non-bird species is present in this aviary, a pair of Greater Malayan Chevrotain. Upon entering this aviary, the main focal point is a large waterfall, crashing into a central pond that provides a home for the exhibit's waterfowl collection, breeding pairs of White-Winged Wood Ducks, Philippine Ducks, and Madagascar Teals. Along with the large pond, this aviary is heavily planted and features two levels- on both the second story of the building and the third floor, with a large ramp taking visitors between the two levels, allowing views of the free-flying birds from numerous angles, and allowing good views of both the ground bird species and the species living in the canopy. These bird species are Madagascar Pond Herons, Madagascar Sacred Ibises, Raggiana Birds of Paradise, Bali Mynahs, Metallic Starlings, Green-Naped Pheasant Pigeons, Nicobar Pigeons, Victorian Crowned Pigeons, Pink-Necked Fruit Doves, Crested Couas, Luzon Bleeding Heart Dove, Pied Imperial Pigeons, and Palawan Peacock Pheasants. One main focus of this aviary is having large, natural breeding groups of birds. Due to this, visitors are able to see large, natural leks of birds of paradise and of the various columbiform species, rather than the smaller groups often seen in zoos. While it is of course impossible for the zoo to display hundreds of birds per species, as often seen in the wild, the zoo will display each colonial species in groups of ten plus birds (sometimes more like 50 birds, such as with the metallic starlings). Once visitors complete the path through the aviary (starting on the second floor and gradually rising to the third), an elevator or spiral staircase returns visitors to the second floor, heading back out onto the balcony and able to follow the large ramp back down past the keas, where visitors are able to continue down the main path through the next section of the zoo, highlighting a theme that will be revealed tomorrow morning.

Species Count This Section: 19
    Mammals: 3 (15.8%)
    Birds: 16 (84.2%)

Cumulative Species Count: 219
    Mammals: 77 (35.2%)
    Birds: 78 (35.6%)
    Reptiles: 41 (18.7%)
    Amphibians: 5 (2.3%)
    Fish: 12 (5.5%)
    Invertebrates: 6 (2.7%)

This was the update that brought birds into the group with the best representation at the zoo, overtaking the lead that's been held by mammals so far. As time will tell, this lead should increase slightly before we are done, with a few more bird-centric exhibits upcoming.

19. Haliaeetus

I'm not sure that the birds of paradise would fare well in a mixed-species aviary, especially when the visitors come through it.

Neil chace likes this.
  20. Neil chace

Truthfully, I've gone back and forth on their inclusion. My alternative idea would be splitting off part of this aviary into a non-walkthrough component, for the birds-of-paradise, bali mynahs, and chevrotains (all species that I know have been mixed before)- no changes to the species line-up, just moving some stuff around so these three species have their own aviary- of approximately 3,000 square feet (larger than it seems like it has to in order to accommodate larger groups/leks of each bird species.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2022