Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park My local safari park on BBC news!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paul Scott, 17 Aug 2005.

1. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Member

Hi all,

On the BBC News, they often have a "and finally" segment, which has quirky/funny stories.
    Today's related to my local animal collection, Knowsley Safari Park, just outside of Liverpool.
    The story related to the pride of lions that they have. Apparently the lions have taken to the notion that small cars (Ford KA, Vauxhall Corsa etc) are prey items and have taken to chasing them like they would prey in the wild.
    The park stated that so far the lions haven't eaten a car, but are chasing it and smelling it instead and then wandering away.
    They actually had a clip of a group in a small car hurtling like a bat out of hell through the enclosure with a couple of lions, including a big male.
    What do you all think? I find it quite amusing.

The_melford_manatee likes this.
  2. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Warragamba Lion Safari experience

There was a lion safari park at Warragamba , just out of Sydney . I visited there in 1981 . It closed a few years later .

I was on a bus , but we saw the following events .

A dominant male lion got his huge slab of meat from the feeding trailer and decided to jump up on the roof of a small car , settle down , and slowly enjoyed tucking into his dinner . The meat was very bloody , and blood was oozing off the meat and down the front window -- on the drivers side , no less -- of the car .
    Despite tooting the horn , and doing bunnyhops to try and dissuade the lion from staying on the roof for too long , but the lion wasnt having any of that . He wasgoing to enjoy his big slab of meat , with or without the blessing of the cars inhabitants . It had been a long time since I had laughed so hard !!