Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife My Monthly Updates 2010 #1

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zambar, 17 Jan 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Great visit today, being my first of 2010. Fun oryx club meeting and managed to meet mhale and HuxleyPig today, always nice talking to other ZooChatters in the flesh. While there were a couple of notable news snippets in today's meeting, I can't of course tell them due to 'insurance' measures, so I'll go by observations:

- A very busy day, and Marwell seemingly made up for all the time it was closed just by today. For example, I couldn't bear eating my lunch any longer due to screaming children on all sides! But the animals were putting on a good display as usual, keeping their cool.
    - As has been mentioned, Yasmin the snow leopard has been moved off-show due to the (very) soon arrival of the new pair.
    - Managed to see both Suki and Juba the off-show cheetahs from the nocturnal house for the first time.
    - Zambar the tiger... is still there! Imagine the weather delayed his move, but it was still great to see him (for the last time probably). Gamin and Yenna were particuarly active today.
    - New species in Aridlands: a kind of iguana who's long-winded full name I can't remember!
    - Kaia the recent leopard was interacting a lot with Akin from behind the fence, and was in a very playful mood today.
    - The path to the vicuna yard is closed off, and no progress has been made on the serval enclosure since my last visit. World of Lemurs is still a bit of a hodgepodge: The bottom enclosures are still empty, didn't see the ringtails and only saw two red ruffeds.

2. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

It is a five keeled spiny tailed iguana :)

The arrivals / births noticeboard at Marwell has been updated with the following information since 14/09/09:

Arrivals
    29/09/09 - Female vicuna from Stuttgart Zoo
    06/10/09 - Male White-faced saki monkey from Twycross Zoo
    17/11/09 - Female Amur leopard 'Kaia' from Tallinn Zoo, Estonia
    26/11/09 - Female Hartmann's zebra 'Libra' from Dvur Kralove Zoo, Czech Republic
    26/11/09 - Two male Dama gazelle 'Noid' and 'Hector' from Dvur Kralove Zoo
    26/11/09 - Male greater kudu 'Aswan' from Dvur Kralove Zoo

Births
    14/09/09 - Male kudu
    15/09/09 - 1 Dorcas gazelle
    18/09/09 - Female sitatunga
    24/09/09 - Male roan antelope
    24/09/09 - Male gemsbok
    26/09/09 - Five capybara
    01/10/09 - Female gemsbok
    26/10/09 - Female sitatunga
    07/11/09 - Female sitatunga
    12/11/09 - Male waterbuck
    19/11/09 - Female waterbuck
    08/12/09 - Five Giant walking sticks
    09/12/09 - Male waterbuck
    16/12/09 - Female sitatunga
    24/12/09 - Female roan antelope
    29/12/09 - 1 cotton-top tamarin
    01/01/10 - Female waterbuck

The somali wild asses were transfixed by two white horses being ridden on the bridlepath the other side of the fence from them. All four of them couldn't take their eyes off the horses right up until they were out of sight, and were even running in their paddock in parallel with them.

A lot of the animals appeared to be enjoying the sunshine, which must be welcome after all the snow. As Zambar said, there were certainly a lot of visitors there today.

3. Zambar

Thanks for the heads up on the iguana name, should've photoed the sign for reference lol.

4. HuxleyPig

HuxleyPig Well-Known Member

Nothing I can add except I had a good day, lol. Particular highlights for me would be meeting my second ZooChatter :) and seeing Kaia flirt with Akin through the fencing.

And Mhale, I saw those horses go past, but was in the Wallaby enclosure at the time.

5. Zambar

Heh, until next time! :D

I saw them go past the wild ass paddock too, but it must've been a different group as they didn't show any interest.

6. Kwame

Kwame Well-Known Member

Re Yasmin the snow leopard

Hi,

Does anyone know how long Yasmin is going to be off show.

Is it just while work is being done or are they going to let the new pair settle in before returning her?

7. Zambar

Yasmin'll be off-show once the pair arrives, with one of the pair being kept in one side of the enclosure during this time. Once the new two have become accustomed to each other they'll both move into one side and Yasmin will return on show.

8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Ctenosaura quinquecarinata - a very unusual species and a great addition. Had to check my notes to see if I'd seen them before - I have a photo of one at Berlin Zoo.

Zootierliste lists only Berlin and the Reptilium in Landau as having them so Marwell has a real zoo rarity on their hands.

9. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Good to see 2 of Europe's premier hoofstock collections working together.

10. Zambar

Wow, didn't realise the iguanas were that rare!

I hope that Marwell will become the UK's Dvur Kralove in the future, which the African Valley should help. Would love to see more rare african hoofstock like Cape Buffalo, Thompson's Gazelles, Duikers and Dik-dik's in the future.

11. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

I've just seen on Blackpool Zoo's Facebook page the question "When are the new tigers coming?" and the response "The male from Marwell is due to arrive on February 1st, but possibly not until very late in the day" so we still get a bit longer to see Zambar at Marwell :)

12. Zambar

Right, I'll go on the 31st to see him right before he goes. :)

13. Kwame

Kwame Well-Known Member

Re Zambar's departure

As sad as it is to see Zambar moving on.

Lets hope his departure makes way for a new breading pair of Amur tigers.

14. HuxleyPig

Had a spur of the moment trip to Marwell today with some friends. I saw the new female Snow Leopard, and she is a beaut. The volunteer said that neither the male or female come out very much so I was lucky to see her. They are waiting on some interraction between the two at the fencing at the moment.

Also, one of the Addax has given birth, and it's so small it can only be a couple of days old tops.

15. Kwame

Kwame Well-Known Member

Re female snow leopard

Hi HuxleyPig,

It's nice to here that the new female snow leopard has been seen.

Did the female snow leopard come right out into the enclosure or did she just stick here head out?

The male only stuck his head out yesterday.

16. HuxleyPig

She ventured out as far as her stomach and then sort of sat half out for a while before going in again. They're a very shy pair, aren't they?

17. Kwame

Kwame Well-Known Member

Re HuxleyPig

Hi,

Yes they do seem very shy.

I guess that until recently they were with there mothers so it must be strange to be transferred to an unfamiliar environment and to be on their own.

18. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you won't see him on Sunday. Marwell's facebook page says "Last chance to see Zambar the Amur tiger before he leaves us for Blackpool Zoo to start a new family. Visit before Saturday @ 2pm!" I can't make it tomorrow, so I know that I have definitely seen him at Marwell for the last time :( however, I will go up to Blackpool to see him at some point during the year :)

19. Amur

Amur Active Member

Please dont worry about Zambar.
    I can personally guarantee he will be loved and cared for at Blackpool.

best wishes

20. HuxleyPig

Awwh, I hope his move goes well and he settles in at Blackpool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.