Join our zoo community

My Northeast trip

Discussion in 'United States' started by SusScrofa, 21 Jun 2022.

1. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the have another male Stellar. Was lucky enough to get up close to Kodiak (and a younger N.fur), their former bull. I thought I saw a spotted seal at Duisburg some years back but may not have. Does anyone know how long it's been there? I recall an older different kind of "harbor" seal on a previous visit. Mystic was also where I've seen Harp seals before (and possibly Detroit). It's more for a colleague that will be joining me on the trip.

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They've had a pair of spotteds for years, not sure if they've been the same ones the entire time. They're really difficult to tell apart from the harbors, even the docents who sit at the pool daily have a hard time. On my recent the female had just molted, so she had a near-white belly and was a little easier to spot, but there was at least one harbor who was quite pale, as well. All three outdoor pools have at least one docent stationed at them to answer questions, keep kids off railings, etc.

Pleistohorse and IndianRhino like this.
  3. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

The Gray Seal wasn't in that pool when I visited, but could of just been taken off temporarily.
    The Spotted Seal is also unsigned, making it harder to even know its there, but the docent announces what's kept. They told me the Spotted Seal usually swims upside down and it has the lightest belly of the bunch.

4. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there in March and saw Harbor Seals, Northern Fur Seals, Steller Sea Lions, California Sea Lions, and a Grey Seal (in a small pool where the animal was being rehabilitated?). I did not see any others (Harp Seal and Spotted Seal?).

5. SusScrofa

The Spotted Seals are almost impossible to tell apart from the Harbor Seals. Only a docent was able to identify it by its belly and swimming habits. You probably saw it, just didn't know you did.

TinoPup and Pleistohorse like this.
  6. Pleistohorse

That makes sense. Same thing here at the Alaska SeaLife Center. One pool holds a Harbor and a Spotted Seal.

7. TinoPup

The spotted seals are signed, you both just missed it :) And of course it's the one I don't have a photo of, there were people in front of it.

The gray seals are all rescues, the pool is for animals that are getting close to being released. Given the number of intakes they have, there's usually at least one in there, but they could have been between releasable animals at that time. They're not always easy to see in there, you really have to turn your head to see the deck they can rest on and the water color keeps you from seeing in the entire pool. Even knowing there were two in there, there was still a lot of time where I couldn't see either.

20220630_131852.jpg

The harp seal is a recent rescue, a species they don't normally get in.

20220630_133025.jpg

8. SusScrofa

My Boston trip is coming to an end, I'll be back at my parents in New York by tomorrow. I absolutely loved Boston. Me and my friend did the Freedom Trail, exploring downtown and the harbor, all the Plymouth historic sites, plenty of bar hopping, Harvard museum of natural history and I also managed to squeeze in both Franklin Park and Stone Zoo as well!

9. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are you planning to write mini-reviews for Franklin Park or Stone? I am curious to hear your thoughts.

SusScrofa likes this.
  10. SusScrofa

I stopped writing reviews because I was busy and honestly I didn't think anyone cared much for them. But I'll post reviews for those two since you're interested.

Pleistohorse and ZooElephantMan like this.
  11. SusScrofa

At the request of @ZooElephantsMan, I'll be reviewing Stone Zoo and Franklin Park Zoo. If anyone wants any reviews from other zoos I visited, feel free to ask. I'll start with Stone.

STONE ZOO (STONEHAM, MA)
    This small zoo was a last minute decision to visit. We finished the Harvard museum of history with time to spare and due to rain we decided to save the freedom trail tour for a different day. Stone Zoo was 25 mins away and was not effected by the weather so it was worth checking out.

The highlight of the visit for me was the Bush Dogs. I missed my chance of seeing this rarely seen canid back when I visited Zoo Atlanta a few years back, but the two individuals here were active and in full view. Of the zoos exhibits, I liked the entire "Latin" America-themed section (Caribbean Coast + Sierra Madre) the most, even though it admittedly doesn't hold a candle to some of the ones I've seen in Florida facilities. The one negative here for me was that big cat enclosures were kind of small and bare-bones in my opinion.

Windows Into The Wild was dimly lit and needs an update to its aesthetics, but the collection of species held is interesting and there were cute baby porcupines, hyraxes and turtles currently on display.

The Himalayan-North American section features the two highest quality exhibits of the zoo in my opinion; the very spacious and naturalistic Markhor and Mexican Gray Wolf enclosures. I could see the goats, but the wolves were a no-show or so well-hidden among the vast space they had. Actually, my only complaint for the wolf area would be the need for more or larger visitor viewing sections as I can totally see these relatively small spaces being too packed with observers on a nice weekend. The remaining exhibits were all pretty average, nothing particularly good or terrible here.

The Animal Discovery Center building was closed on my visit, but I don't think there's much in this building except a small number of commonly seen herps, so I doubt it would of added much to my visit.

Here is the species list.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE: I wouldn't say Stone Zoo is a particularly notable facility, but it was a decent place to visit and take up a couple of hours on a day with not-so-nice weather. I'd say its on a comparable tier to the non-Bronx New York City Zoos, not quite on their level in terms of overall exhibit quality but having a very likeable species collection (in my opinion) to help keep it at a similar ranking.

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  12. Pleistohorse

In every visit I’ve made to the Stone Zoo in the last 17 years or so, I’ve never seen the wolves. Back in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s the zoo exhibited Formosan Sika Deer in that enclosure.

Great review by the way. I’m looking forward to the next.

SusScrofa likes this.
  13. SusScrofa

Thank you! My review of Franklin Park is coming soon.

Interesting to hear, I can totally see the wolf exhibit being one of those that draw both very high praise and frustration from zoo-goers. Wonderful and very roomy habitat, but the potential to actually see the animal may be very low.

14. TinoPup

I guess I should be very fortunate that I saw two of them, then! One was on the big rock right in front of the upper window. The other was in the trees at the very top of the exhibit, walking around. I wanted to get better photos, and the animal was occasionally looking at the window, but kids in bright colors kept coming up and making a lot of reflections. With the location of the window, I could see there wasn't going to be any break for a while and gave up.

20220703_103221.jpg

@SusScrofa where were the markhor on your visit?

15. SusScrofa

I first saw Markhor from far away on the left path before the Snow Leopard that leads to the employee-only road. Not much later, I saw around 3-4 of them walking on the rocks by the very end of the exhibit, right before the Black-necked Crane/Wolf enclosure. I only saw females, does the zoo keep any males?

TinoPup and Pleistohorse like this.
  16. TinoPup

Nice! They were all in the far back left for me, I'm hoping I got a few photos with my long lens but not sure (film). They appear to have at least one young male on their facebook page.

SusScrofa likes this.
  17. ZooElephantMan

Thank you for your review! I'd agree that the Himalayan and Wolf enclosures are of the highest quality in the zoo. Windows to the Wild and Yukon Creek could use some improvements.

I have also had difficulty seeing the wolves in the past. But on my recent visit, I got lucky, and was able to see 4-5 of them! I got to the wolf exhibit around 4pm, close to the end of the day, so that may have something to do with my luck.

IMG_3409.jpg

TinoPup, Pleistohorse and SusScrofa like this.
  18. SusScrofa

Here is my review of Franklin Park Zoo

FRANKLIN PARK ZOO (BOSTON, MA)
    Being located in a major American city like Boston, I had high expectations for Franklin Park Zoo. My visit was early in the morning right when the zoo opened, on what was essentially my last day in Boston. I went alone, since my friend wanted to sleep in.

Lets start with the best aspect of the zoo, which is no doubt Gorilla Grove/Tropical Forest. The gorilla habitat is really nice, and one of the better ones I've seen. It's not on the level of Bronx or San Diego's, but beats out most of the other gorilla exhibits including my hometown Zoo Miami's.

The rest of Tropical Forest has an interesting mix of species like Potto (first time seeing), De Brazza Monkeys and Pygmy Hippo among others, and who can't appreciate a free-flight tropical aviary? However, there still feels like an ingredient is missing here to truly make this exhibition a top-tier experience. There are a couple of random snake terrariums in the wall that just scream to be added to a dedicated herptile wing within this building that I feel is that missing aspect to make Tropical Forest feel complete.

In fact, "incomplete" is the general feeling I got on my visit to Franklin Park. The zoo seems so vast based on the map and my tired feet, yet most of the time I wasn't seeing any exhibit, or seeing the same one. While I appreciate the rather sizeable enclosures for the ungulate species, they feel very basic and unremarkable say when compared to other large exhibits like the Markhor enclosure at Stone Zoo. On the flip side, I found the big cat enclosures to be too small and I especially disliked the lion enclosure, with a giant eyesore of a gorge taking up what is already limited space for the animal.

Franklin Park has a nice avian collection, but they decide to divide most of the birds into three different small aviaries (two were closed but I could see most of the species from the gates), and this is not even including the free-flight birds in Tropical Forest, the closed Raptor Ridge and other singular bird exhibits like that of the Brown Kiwi (I finally saw the species!). The Birds World aviary looks much bigger from the outside, but is only a few small rooms. The Aussie Aviary takes up way too much room for what it has inside, and I feel with the more modest number of species, Franklin Park would be better off integrating their multiple aviaries into one improved Birds World. As it is, the bird exhibitions are just too fragmented to really wow me.

Franklin Park is a lot smaller than you'd expect from a major city zoo and from looking at the grounds, and I saw everything in around two hours.

@PaintedDog already made a recent species list, but I did add some updates from my visit on that thread.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE: So, did Franklin Park Zoo live up to my expectations? Not really. Admittedly, I held it to a higher standard due to it's position as Boston's premier zoo, so perhaps I'm being overly harsh. In either event, there are really good aspects here, such as its gorilla habitat and interesting species list. On its own, I'd say Franklin Park is a small but enjoyable place that's probably worth visiting if you're in the city, but I don't think it lives up to its potential. Hopefully, a visionary with good direction and proper funding can build up all that empty, poorly used space on the grounds and turn this into Boston's answer to the Bronx Zoo.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2022
  19. ZooElephantMan

Great review!

The Franklin Park Zoo is my home zoo and I have visited over 200 times, so I am always interested in the perspective of someone who is seeing the place with fresh eyes.

I am glad you liked the new gorilla habitat. For a while, I was concerned about its quality, as it seemed to take a long time for the gorillas to get accustomed to the new space. But from what I've heard, things seem to be steadily improving, and I expect the area will age well. I am hopeful that the zoo's future projects will replicate its quality.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2022
    SusScrofa likes this.
  20. TinoPup

Incomplete, that's a GREAT word to describe Franklin Park. It just felt... off. I parked at the zebra end and wasn't expecting this wide area of grass in the middle with no trees or anything. A poor first impression. The lanterns or whatever all about but mostly not set up didn't help the feeling, either. Then add in so many areas being closed/off exhibit, most people were going the wrong direction in the tropical building, etc. I left pretty unimpressed.

I went after visiting Stone and loved Stone. I had planned on going to Blue Hills Trailside Museum after, but I needed a nap before a family obligation (ugh) and didn't have time, unfortunately. Had to drive right past it, too :(

SusScrofa and Pleistohorse like this.