Join our zoo community

My planning trip to Japan for 2019

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Kakapo, 10 Jan 2018.

1. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Too late for edit previous post. The same museum also have on display the rail, the robin and the woodpecker. Also it have Japanese crested ibis and Ryukyu rabbit, that probably would save me two zoo visits. Of course I prefair live ones to photograph, but I prefair to save traveling and money if the animals are in one same place :p

2. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

It’s honestly a really amazing museum, you will have a fabulous time there! I can’t recommend it enough.

3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Yep! They also have an amazing dinosaur collection, and all species of "walking whales": Dorudon, Pakicetus, Ambulocetus....

Now I'm interested to know if it's possible to see specimens of Ryukyu Wood Dove (Columba jouyi) and Bonin Grosbeak (Chaunoproctus ferreorostris) in public display anywhere in Japan. I think that it will be impossible, but maybe somebody knows. There are pigeons at London natural history museum, probably not in public display, and grosbeaks somewhere in Netherlands, but I can't find Japanese museums holding these extinct birds.

It seems that Yamashina Institute for Ornithology have Ryukyu Wood Pigeon specimen, but I don't know if the place can be visitable by public and much less if the pigeon can be viewed by public...

4. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any zoos in japan have Golden Snub nose monkey? Will be visiting later in the year.

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

As explained in this thread previously, the golden snub-nosed monkey are exclusively at Kumamoto city Zoo and Botanical Gardens. As FrancoiseLangur said, this zoo including the snub-nosed monkey exhibit was seriously affected by a recent earthquake, but they still have an adult pair and their offspring.

6. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought only a pair of adults remain

7. solanaskyes

solanaskyes Member

The Baikal seals at Sunshine Aquarium are off exhibit as of March/April 2019 in anticipation of the birth of a new pup, due sometime in April (I think). I didn’t see any indication of when they would be put back on exhibit, but there is a video presentation about the care and monitoring of the pregnant female, including ultrasound images of her developing pup.

Brum likes this.
  8. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would go to the ishikawa zoo to see the baikal seal and the crested ibis.