Join our zoo community

My project

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mr Gharial, 12 Sep 2020.

1. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Hello there, I'm from the Netherlands and I'm working on a project to improve the royal Burger's zoo. I made an account to ask some questions, mainly about mixed species enclosures and walkthrough enclosures. If anyone wants to see progress on the project, then you'll have to explain to me how to upload pictures first ;b

Ursus likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome!

3. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You can actually upload images through either the ZooChat Media gallery and then you can put those in your posts through the image icon in the post editor. That's how it works I believe.

I am very curious to your ideas on how this, already very good zoo, could possibly improve!

4. Mr Gharial

Well, for now I could show you an updated map I created and an accompanying new logo. I also have a long list of new species and species that will be moved to new locations, but I'd have to translate them

Attached Files:

HungarianBison and JurassicMax like this.
  5. Ursus

They actually just tore down the playground behind the great apes!

6. Ursus

I am also very curious to your species list!
    I see what most species are on this map but it's always nice to know your entire idea for this project.
    With that I'd also like to ask if this is your ''dream'' look for the zoo, or also what you hope they will actually achieve within a realistic boundary of X amounts of years.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  7. Mr Gharial

It comes back every year, I put it in as a reminder for myself to not put an enclosure there

8. Ursus

It used to yeah, but as far as I know the playground stood there year round. It was only open during certain times of the year. But recently they removed the whole thing to clear space.

9. Mr Gharial

I always love zoos that are devided in alignment to the continents. With the addition of the new mangrove, I noticed that four of the seven continents have been represented. Safari for Africa, Rimba for Asia, Desert for North America, and Mangrove for South America. The only ones missing is Oceania, Europe and Antarctica. In the park region, however. There is an aviary with mainly Australian birds and a wallaby / black swan enclosure in the back most region of the park. And there are european reindeer in the right most area. So there are still animals from those continents.

I decided to fill up the missing spot by designing Burger's Arctic. For both the South pole and North pole region. The animals in this region are: The Arctic fox, the Eurasian arctic hare, the gentoo penguin, Chinstrap penguin, and King penguin, the Puffin, the Great grey owl and the Snowy owl, the Siberian weasel, and the Wolverine.
    Along with that, there's also a sub region of icy caves, with Aquatic animals, like Spider crabs, Red king crabs, Krill, American lobster, European plaice, Bering flounder, Viviparous eelpout, Atlantic cod, Capelin, Sardines, Antarctic silverfish, Marbled rockcod, and some jellyfish (Box jellyfish, Moon jellyfish, comb jellyfish and Lions mane jellyfish)

This is only the Artic region, the larger regions, like Burger's Woods and Burger's Outback have a lot more. It'll take a lot longer to translate. I can translate the smaller regions, such as night and island if you want

Last edited: 14 Sep 2020
    JurassicMax likes this.
  10. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

I really like what you got so far, the logo looks really good (could be used by Burgers zoo ;)). Have you thought about adding pinnipeds to the Arctic region?

11. Mr Gharial

They usually need a large space, it was a choice between pinnipeds or penguins, and the penguins were the more obvious choice. I'll see if I can get the current detail plan for the Arctic region so you can see the layout properly

12. Mr Gharial

Here's the layout and ice caves layout. It's not too detailed yet but you can at least get an idea of what it looks like. The path has a double path underneath it, they overlap on the map, but the ice caves version is underwater viewing, below the path
    Burgers arctic.png

13. JurassicMax

Agreed, this way Burgers zoo could specialize themselves more in keeping a larger variety of penguin species. Do you want to keep other species of bird together with the puffins?

14. Mr Gharial

I'm not sure if free-flying birds would work in the arctic hall, since it's both antarctic rocks and Northern forest. Though if you have any suggestions I can turn it into an aviary

15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, Mr Gharial

Penguins don't live in the Arctic.

16. JurassicMax

How do want to keep puffins if they can't fly? You could keep them with some species of duck, seagull and Guillemots.

17. Mr Gharial

As I said before, it's a mix of arctic and antarctic. Try to keep up

18. Mr Gharial

I want to keep it in the arctic theme though, their enclosure will be based on basalt pillars in iceland, the diving puffins being the main focus. Maybe the guillemots will work, but I'm not sure

19. JurassicMax

I understand, I first thought that you wanted to have a 'open' puffin enclosure so I was a bit confused as why you didn't want free-flying birds.

The fox/owls and the wolverines are the only animals with an outside enclosure right?

20. Mr Gharial

Correct, the main rectangle is the actual hall. The Wolverines go into a typicall carnivore enclosure with a water seperation, and the foxes and owls go into a walkthrough aviary