Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden My Review of the Cincinnati Zoo and Botancial Garden-Look here!

Discussion in 'United States' started by Moebelle, 11 Jan 2012.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member

I created this because my old one was closed and I want people to be able to comment on this. I also has permission to do this.

The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden is 64.5 acres of heaven for zoo lovers, mostly for me. It is 139 years old. It stands at number 5 on my top zoos list. The gardens are beautiful and are all around the zoo. The biggest question asked at the zoo is, "Where are the botanical gardens", the answer is that they are everywhere around the zoo. So lets take a trip at the "Sexiest, Greenest, and 2nd Oldest Zoo in America". I would also like to hear how many times you have visited the zoo, to start out, I have been there more than probably 70 times.

The fun already begins in the parking lot, or at least to get across to the entrance. Almost every parking spot is below large solar panel canopies that all 64,000 panels were completely built in April of 2011. As you park and are ready to go, you will arrive at an escalator that takes you across a bridge that goes over Vine Street and leads you to the entrance. I forgot to mention in my last update that the black rhino statue was not in front of the escalator the last time I went. Anyhow, you can buy tickets either electronically or the old fashion way by buying them at a ticket booth. I have no idea what the admission is because I am a member.

When you walk in, you will be looking at the new food court area that was built in 2009. One big reason why it was renovated was because of the empty exhibits from Vanishing Giants, but also to make it look nicer and "greener". This renovation included two new food stations, a survival shop, a great new zoo shop, new entrance, cut off the easier entrance to the Sumatran rhinos, more gardens, and even Crane Island. Crane Island is a medium sized exhibit on Swan Lake that holds red-crowned cranes and other waterfowl from the lake.

You have the choice to go straight, two rights, and a left. I would suggest taking a left to save the best for last. You will approach a few attractions. To the left is a tall aviary that is 140ft tall, 70ft across and 50ft wide, this large aviary is Eagle Eyrie. The aviary is divided into two separate exhibits, one holding Steller's sea eagles and the other Andean condors. I am completely confused about the condors being freed and I don’t know if they are at the zoo or not. There are two doors that give you entrance into each aviary. The viewing for each enclosure is remarkable, you are looking out unto a large canyon. There is no separated space between the guests and the birds so if they wanted to, they could even attack us. The last sea eagle born at the zoo was in January of 2011. This flgith cage opened in 1970.

To the both left and right of Eagle Eyrie are signs that say Wildlife Canyon. These lead you down what is of course a canyon and features many hoofed creatures that have moved in and out throughout the years. Since there are two entrances and exits, it depends on what you see, I again like to save the best for last, so I would take the right entrance and exit in the left. There are animals like emus, camels, takins, river hogs, and the endangered Przewalski's horse. The next two exhibits are reserved for the very rare Sumatran rhino. The first yard is home to Suci, the daughter of Ipuh and the deceased Emi, who is originally home to the second exhibit, but I along with many others have not seen him in a while. Wildlife Canyon also gives a great view where you can look up at Eagle Eyrie. The last baby that was born here were 8 river hogs in 2008 and a takin in 2007. As you know the zoo has successfully bred 3 Sumatran rhinos in about 7 years. Andalas(2001), Suci(2004), and Harapan(2007). This canyon opened a couple of years after the zoo's opening, so maybe 1877.

Across from all this is a 50ft tall, white Turkish style, 137 year-old building. This is the famous Reptile House, or also known as America's Oldest Zoo Building. In 1875, it was the Monkey House, in 1951, it was renovated to house reptiles. Before entering into the building, there is a small island connecting on the right side. This area is what I personally call Cockatoo Island even though the zoo's website says that it is Reptile House Island, but I think that is ridiculous. The island is home to two species of cockatoos, Major Mitchell's and Salmon-crested. These birds rotate every other day. Anyways when you enter the Reptile House you'll greatly feel the hot climate that the reptiles need to survive. Around 50 herps are displayed throughout the building, and much, much more are behind the scenes. There are 19 snake species, 10 lizard species, 4 turtle species, and 3 amphibians. There are a lot of negative comments toward this building or at least the idea about dedicating it to reptiles. I will go with the positives on this one, people can't understand how it held monkeys, but if you look at the dimensions and all the space and height of the walls and the pillars, it could definitely fit exhibits in for primates, probably about 12 monkey exhibits in the building. I would like to point out that there are no more exhibits that are not suitable or are too small for each herp, all of it was recently renovated and I have no complaints anymore. The last baby born in this building was a Yucatan Neotropical Rattlesnake who was recently transferred to the Atlanta Zoo, around the same time, a black rat snake and desert tortoises hatched.

Monkey Island was built in 1930 and was the first bar-less monkey exhibit at the zoo. Over the years it has held Bharial sheep, and from what I read it held sea lions at the same time with the sheep and monkeys. Today, it features 11 Japanese macaques. I don’t get how the small, shallow pool keeps them out since snow monkeys can sometimes love water. I can't remember the last time there was any baby animal that was born at the island. I would like to point out to the zoo that this exhibit needs hot springs and especially more climbing structures.

Before entering into the newest attraction, Night Hunters, pass the entrance and hear pounding music, and a man talking about the zoo's cougars, Joseph and Tecumseh. They are brothers that came to the zoo on September 14, 2010. They were held in the nursery for a while until they were moved to a left over Cat House exhibit outdoors and then later kept off exhibit until their new home opened on August 14, 2011. Once you enter NH, right away there is a Eurasian Eagle owl that always looks like it's going to attack you, it is thrilling and is a wonderful idea. And yes even though the exhibit is small, keepers take her behind the scenes and let her free-fly. This is a multi-censored building that showcases animals from the Cat House, Nocturnal House, Reptile House and Jungle Trails. If you have been in the Cat House before, you can tell that the zoo reversed the exit and nearly made it into the entrance. The zoo says they tried to make us feel like the prey but the only thing I find scary is the sounds. The species in here includes fossas, owls, aardwolves, leopards, vampire bats, flying foxes, pottos, lorises, aardvarks, bush babies, sand cats, ocelots, a python, a caracal, bearcats, foxes, fishing cats and more. I find these exhibits to be very well suited for each species, the size is good, especially the 10ft long vampire bat exhibit. To be able to see what I am talking about you have to take your time to look all around each exhibit. When you walk outside, on the side of the building is a solitary Siberian lynx. The last baby or babies born in this building were the first Pallas' cats born from AI on June 8, 2011 and before that was a bearcat and before that was a tayra.This area opened in the 50's.

Gorilla World is just an amazing exhibit, it has many tropical plants and waterfalls all over the entire attraction. I would say the exhibit is about over 40,000sq ft, which is perfect for 4 gorillas(counting rotations with the other 4). The females are Muke (pronun: MOO-KEE), who will be transferred to the Oklahoma City Zoo in the spring, Chewie, M'linzi, Samantha(the second gorilla born at the zoo), and Asha who arrived on October 13, 2011 from the Gladys Porter Zoo. Another female named Anju at the Pittsburgh Zoo will arrive at the zoo in the spring. Both Asha and Anju will breed with Jomo. Other females named Shanta and Mara left on November 8, 2011 and were transferred to the Dallas Zoo. The males' names are Jomo, from the Toronto Zoo, he is also the leader of the group. Lastly there is Bakari who is the 48th and currently the last gorilla to be born at the zoo in 2006. Bakari will join his mother Muke at the Oklahoma City Zoo to interact with other gorillas his age. It opened in 1978.

World of the Insect that opened in 1978 (called the "Insectarium" at the time but Thane Maynard still calls it that), is the largest building and collection dedicated to insects and other invertebrates. I counted and there are about 65 species on display but there are over 500,000 total animals in the building. There are animals like assassin beetles, hissing cockroaches, Goliath bird-eaters, tamarins, walking sticks, snakes, spiny lizards, bullet ants, and pygmy geese. The building is also home to the largest ant exhibit in the world that contains leaf-cutter ants. With each daring turn you make, you will be both surprised and amazed by the creepy crawlers that help this world. At the end of the building is a room that takes you into a rainforest, a Butterfly Rainforest. This is a small walk-through atrium I would say, where the birds usually perch a foot above your head. The last babies that were born were naked mole rats in 2010, along with giant walking sticks.

I think Lemur Lookout is both an amazing exhibit but also a waste of space. Even though the zoo has 3 other rare lemur species, I wish they didn't stick with the most captivated primate on Earth, the ring-tailed lemur. Anyways the exhibit is a ditch with many plants, streams and large rocks. I wish the island still held baboons, it had ibexes on it and at one time it held markhors. This ditch was made in the 60's.

The Dragons! renovation in 2007-2008 made space for 5 monitor species, Ackies dwarf, green, quince, crocodile, and Hudo the Komodo dragon. Each exhibit is perfect for each species, but I have just one complaint, the collection is far too small for a building that could put in at least 3 more exhibits. Hudo has a marvelous outdoor exhibit adjacent to the building. The last babies that were born here were 2 green tree monitors that were born on June 2 and 3rd and before that were 32 Komodo dragons born in the early 2000's.

If you're about to visit the zoo, then Manatee Springs is the place to go. It is a 15,000 sq. ft. Florida masterpiece. The building used to be an aquarium from the 50's to 1998. When you enter through sliding doors, it will certainly feel like walking through the Everglades. If you feel uncomfortable with it, don’t worry it doesn't take long. Just don’t forget to see the large alligator, gars under a bridge, and Leslie, the American crocodile. The next area is completely indoors and is at the perfect temperature. Marvel at crabs, anoles, spiders and even a large alligator snapping turtle. What is arguably probably the best part about the zoo, the manatees. Wooten and Betsy are a treasure and are always willing to spin around and just fly through the water. They live in a 120,000 gallon tank along with 10 other species like catfish, gars and even a soft-shell turtle. There is a tank featuring a depiction of the swamps with piranhas and tilapia. The Biodiversity section features snakes, musk turtles, shrimp and other tropical fish. The last section is a 9ft by 6ft exhibit simulating the Scrubs. 4 snake species live together in it, yellow rat, eastern diamondback rattlers, Everglades rat, and corn snakes. There is also a manatee skeleton, and interactive games teaching us how we can save manatees. The last manatee to be at the zoo that left was Illusion. She was freed on November 9, 2011, she was the 8th manatee set free into the wild from the Cincinnati Zoo.

The White Lions of Timbavati exhibit is very natural for any cat that lives there. These 4 South African Lions (Panthera leo krugeri) were given to the zoo from Siegfried and Roy. There are two males and two females and all of them are related, so to stop inbreeding, they rotate everyday by sex. The viewing is very cool, the coolest at the zoo. You can walk along just outside of the exhibit on a bridge that semi-circles around the habitat to get a perfect shot of the cats. This exhibit opened in 1975.

Rhino Reserve takes you around exhibits that feature animals from all over Africa and parts of India. It consists of Indian and black rhinos, an okapi, bongos, cranes, and zebras. Half-way through the exhibit is Flamingo Cove, it is full of of course flamingos and a couple of geese. The okapi, Kuvua, is pregnant and I believe she will give birth early December of this year. There is confusion and wonderment about where the duiker is. It was very old and as soon it came back on exhibit, it was taken off. I think the exhibits are okay, but they aren't that great because none of them are lush and are just "dry" looking. All except Kylde's (black rhino) exhibit, which is a perfect looking African Savannah. As it has been said over 50 times, this area is home to Nikki, the first Indian rhino impregnated from AI. The last baby born at Rhino Reserve were two flamingo chicks in July 2011. Before that was the baby Indian rhino born from Nikki in October 2010. Before that was Luna, a bongo born on Valentine's Day of 2010 from Safi and Mac. Before that was Marty was born in September of 2009. This area was renovated in the 1997.

Jungle Trails is a 2.5 acre rainforest that is not just great for the wild apes, but like us apes. This opened in 1993 and is divided into 2 parts, Asia and Africa. Each trail takes you outdoors and then inside to see the animals in bedrooms and even nocturnal creatures. This area consists of 17 mammals, 8 birds, and 1 reptile. In the Asia trail, there are gibbons, orangutans, storks, cloud rats, a civet, gliders, macaques and langurs. The Africa trail showcases pelicans, more storks, ruffed lemurs, ravens, bonobos, colobus monkeys, pottos, bush babies, a genet, brand new sifakas, hornbills, hamerkops, starlings, ducks, bamboo lemurs, aye-ayes, and a ground boa. During the Festival of Lights, all of the Asia trail and only the African building is open. The storks and the pelicans are out inside the African Savannah aviary, I learned that the scary(ask to explain if you don’t get it). The last babies born here were three bonobos in March and May. Before that was Possum, a white-handed gibbon born is early March. Before that were two female galagos. I am surprised that there were so few zoo babies in about 3 years since this area is the place with the most births.

The Lords of the Arctic area is great for any bear, any day. It is a large 21,000 sq. ft., shotcrete floored exhibit, with two large pools in which one of them holds 70,000 gallons. Three polar bears and a barred owl are featured but when spring hits, a bald eagle will replace the owls and be back where they used to be. In 2000, the zoo added a second part to the exhibit, allowing guests to view the bears underwater. I talked to someone in the elephant house about breeding polar bears. He said that they have tried a ton of times to get a cute little polar bear, but Little One the zoo's male, is starting to get too old to breed. This exhibit opened in 2000.

Bear Grottoes are two outdated bear pits that were once near the former sight of 3, 15 by 10 ditches where guests can view them through vertical bars and above the exhibits. The ditches were built in 1934 but I don't know when they were renovated into grottoes. Over the years the zoo has given the bears more and more enrichment to keep them company. Each exhibit has a 6 by 4 water hole that is probably 7ft deep. They are the greatest when they are active. Also these exhibits were built on a steep hills to make them feel like they are in their mountainous habitats and to keep the bears cool in the summer because the sun never hits the exhibits. Black and spectacled bears are live here.

The Wings of the World building was first the Reptile House that was built in 1937, the birds came in in 1951 and in 1996, Wings of the World opened. Before entering, there a few aves outside of the building. See kookaburras, macaws and the always loud screamers. When entering there is an awful smell, but I don’t mind it and you know what, that’s life. There are 9 exhibits, 2 walk through aviaries, 2 open-windowed exhibits, 1 wired-windowed exhibit, and 6 glazed enclosures. There are birds from all over the world in here, and I mean ever part of it. All the way from the Amazon to the Sub-Antarctic. There are birds like conures, ibises, quails, hornbills, bird-of-paradises, mynahs, bee-eaters, herons, finches, smews, pigeons, puffins, wigeons, king, magellanic , and rockhopper penguins. The penguin display opened in 1969 and I learned that it was as big as the aquarium's. The last baby that hatched from this building was a king penguin in August of 2011. Before that was a Pigeon Guillemot in July 2011, and a rockhopper penguin on June 2, 2011.

Next is Lorikeet Landing (typical name idea, I know). This was built in 1961 and was the way it is now, but only with a theme. One of the only reasons they created LL was because the Adventure Down Under was going on in the Children's Zoo in the summer of 2006. And where are lorikeets from? Australia. When you enter into the aviary there are gorgeous birds from not just Australia, but from New Guinea too. You can hand feed rainbow, black-capped, chattering, ornate, Weber's and more lories and lorikeets nectar and seed sticks for $1. There are is also a barren goose, shelducks, imperial pigeons, magpies and more in the aviary.

Sea Lion Falls is a great and large hybrid exhibit perfect for all sorts of pinnipeds. I would say this exhibit is about 10,000 sq. ft. and has an over and under-water viewing. Callie and Duke, the California sea lions are always moving around and playing with each other. In and I think before 2002, this exhibit held 3 walruses, two of them died of sickness and the one, Bruiser, I believe was moved to Seaworld, Orlando. This area has been home to pinnipeds since the zoo's opening when it has the Sea Lion Basin.

Wolf Woods is one of the newer exhibits that opened in May of 2005. It is a very small attraction on a hillside that is supposed to take you around the woods. but I can;t really see it. There are foxes, otters, box turtles, parrots, quails, and of course Mexican wolves. The exhibit is 20,000 sq. ft. Over the summer there were complications after a storm hit, closing half of the exhibit. The otter viewing glass was shattered after a very and it is rumored that is fixed and the otters along with everything else are back on display. The last babies that were born here were 6 wolf pups in 2006. Two sisters of the litter remain at the zoo today, Maya and Sedona. This is the least visited place in the zoo.

The Children's Zoo, I would put it as a 55,000 sq. ft. wonderland for both children and adults. This is also a very "not-typical" Children's zoo, the theme is the same but the collection is exotic. You would expect to just to see ordinary sheep, cows, goats, etc. There are all sorts of things to do here, gawk at baby animals, touch a tortoise or an armadillo, feed a rare goat, and many more. It all starts out with Penguin Walkabout. This exhibit used to hold a cape-barren goose, and before that I think there were flamingos. Through this small area, you will walkabout two small species of penguins, the little blue, and the African black-footed. The exhibit is divided into two parts by the path you walk on, but it is actually one yard with a very large pool(large in scale for the size of the penguins). Kids and even adults will crack up at the penguin's gunny behavior. In the actual CZ, the first thing there is a building called the nursery. It features babies that are brought in from other zoos. Each year the zoo gets one or two new baby animals to put in the nursery and they will replace another one. None of the animals in the building are what I would consider too much to be babies anymore. It is currently home to Padmae, an aardvark, Lucy, the official Cincinnati Bearcats mascot, and Rocko and Jazz the Bennett's wallabies. The last animal to leave from the nursery was a coatimundi named Wilbert. Other inhabitants in the past included, Tommy T. a cheetah that is in the zoo's Cheetah Encounters, Carolina, a prehensile-tailed porcupine, Joseph and Tecumseh, two brother cougars that are now in an exhibit connected to Night Hunters, Caspian, a daughter of the Eurasian eagle owl in Night Hunters and runner-up of the "Cutest Zoo Baby in America", an African crested porcupine and more. Each animal is trained to interact with the keepers and even guests so they are comfortable coming out of their exhibit and out in the open air. Over on the right side of the CZ is a newly renovated play area that has many features for the kids. There is a large spider web, monkey bars, slides and the ol' fashioned turtle shells for the kids to climb through. That's not just all, there is also an armadillo and a mixed tortoise exhibit. The petting zoo features great animals, Nigerian dwarf goats and baby doll sheep. The kids are also able to feed them. To the left of the petting zoo and right and to the left of the nursery is a newer pigeon exhibit. In a home-style looking area (not actually an exhibit), displayed Hali, a Tawny frogmouth the last time I visited the zoo (in the summer). Over by the Blakely's Barnyard features indoor and outdoor exhibit that are on either side of the barn. See rare and other common creatures like Dexter cattle, Jacob's four-horned sheep, a llama, an alpaca, more dwarf goats and miniature donkeys and miniature cows. The two mini cows take walks literally around the entire zoo every week to get the exercise the need. This was renovated in the 80's and 2007.

In the next attraction, you can walk on the lake and hoot with the loudest land animals on Earth, gibbons. This is Gibbon Islands and it is full of noise and excitement. Take a board walk on Swan Lake to watch Siamangs and Buff-cheeked gibbons brachiate on their giant jungle gyms on decently sized islands that were built in the 70's. If you don’t want to go on the lake, then listen to them from every part of the zoo. This was built in 1972.

Get with-in 5 ft. of the cutest animals at the lushest exhibit at the zoo. The red panda habitat. Here lives not 5 but now 6 red pandas that 5 of them were a gift from the Beijing Zoo in China. The 6th one is a male from the Houston Zoo so that we can have red panda babies this year! The attraction has to separate exhibits connected to each other. I would rate this the greatest red panda exhibit in the U.S. for many reasons. 1. It has natural climbing opportunities. 2. The pandas are always active. 3. There is one long stream surrounding the whole inner part of the exhibit created by a small waterfall from swan lake. 4. There are many China plants to resemble a real forest in China and not to mention a bamboo path that leads to the pandas. Opened probably in the 90's.

Giraffe Ridge is the most thrilling part of the zoo, where you get with eye-to-eye view with the tallest animals in the world, the Masai giraffe. Meet the mating pair that is Kimba and Tessa, some of the zoo's stars that live in a 121,000 sq. ft. African Savannah yard that opened on June 6, 2008. While reaching the exiting point at this attraction, you will look over the whole exhibit while being 15ft. above the ground, allowing guests to feed the giraffes crackers with a low purchase. In the winter, the giraffes are kept in stalls that are transparent to visitors on the right side of the area. The mating pair sired one offspring on April 2, 2011. The first giraffe born at the zoo in 26 years. Her name was Zuri, and immediately she stole everyone's heart. I think she might have been the cutest baby giraffe ever born. Sadly, about a month in a half about her birth, she somehow broke her back left hind leg. After about two weeks later, the wound was getting worse and they had to put her down, to jump and run in heaven, just like she used to do here. Off to the side is an expanded waterfowl exhibit that is home to flamingos and crowned cranes. Giraffe Ridge opened on June 6, 2008.

Enter into a 3.25-acre park where we can learn the everyday lives of the largest land animals on the planet, this is called Elephant Reserve. I would recommend taking as long as you can at this exhibit, just staring and wondering how great it would be to be an elephant. I once stood in the elephant house for 30 minutes not for the warmth during the cold weather but also because I don’t mind the smell at all. This area is home to Jati(24, arrived in January 1991), My-Thai(38, arrived in 1974), Princess Shcottzie II(36, arrived in1978 ), and the bull Sabu-hit(or Sabu, age 23, arrived in 1991 and 2008). These are not the old typical Asian elephants that the zoos say they are, even though this zoo does identify them as just Asian. Did anyone know that there are 8 species of elephants? Anyways there are two of them at the zoo and they are species that are common but are rarely in captivity. Jati and Sabu are both Malayan elephants and My-Thai and Schottzie are both Indian. Sabu has a separate exhibit on the other side of the elephant house that was renovated in 2008. Sometimes his mate, Jati, will be in the exhibit so they can reproduce. They have before, they sired Ganesh on March 15, 1998. he was the first elephant born in Ohio since the Ice Age. I forget when he was transferred to Columbus but he later died of an HIV virus in 2005. I was talking to a worker in the elephant house and he said they were too early for a sonogram on Jati, not sure what that’s means, but I asked someone I know and that might mean there is a large possibility that she is pregnant. In 1906 it became the Herbivora Building that featured kangaroos, hippos, rhinos and elephants. In may of 2000, a $6 million plan called "Vanishing Giants", showcased a giraffe, four okapis, and the elephants the zoo has today(except Ganesh). In 2008 it became Elephant Reserve, the giraffe was transferred to The Wilds, the okapi was moved to Rhino Reserve and the zoo got Sabu back. While renovation for Giraffe Ridge was in progress, dromedary camels took over the giraffe exhibit. The whole area opened in 1906, but was renovated in 2000, and then 2008.

The last attraction you will probably visit last is the Discovery Forest. It is a greatly simulated depiction of the rainforests in South America all in a 40,000 sq ft atrium. People miss-understand what this exhibit is really for and so that is the reason for the very small species collection. There are cane toads, a macaw, boas, and a two-toed sloth that hangs from her tree all day. This is actually the camp area for the children. The building is full of rooms for each level and age in each one of the camps. This is also a learning center where there are some presentations of live animals. The secondary purpose for this building is that it is an off-holding area for all sorts of small creatures, like turacos, hawks, falcons, lizards, and many more. That's not all, the building has two floors and is all full of large plants from South America, none other then my favorite, the bird-of-paradise. There also used to be a toucan that could fly around the exhibit, anyone know why it isn't there anymore?. Also I read somewhere that it held tamarins or marmosets, is this true? I hope not because the ceiling is full of large and dangerous fans that any primate could climb up to. This building was renovated into an atrium in 2008.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  2. Moebelle

I have some editing that I wanted to put in here, "Former Animals of Each Exhibit".

Wildlife Canyon-1989-
    -Bennett's Wallaby, Tufted Deer, Zebra Duiker, Mhorr Gazelle, Scimitar-horned Oryx, Slender-horned Gazelle, Babirusa, Lowland Anoa, etc.
    -Virginia Deer Park-1878-1941
    -Elk, White-tailed Deer
    -Deer Line-1941-1989
    -Llama, Guanaco, American Bison, Yak, Sambar, White Fallow Deer, Black Fallow Deer, Axis Deer, Elk, European Red Deer

Eagle Eyrie-1970-
    -Flight Cage-1970-
    -Bald Eagle

Reptile House-1951-
    -(or not on display)-Burmese python, Beaded lizard, Asian Vine Snake, Indian star tortoise, Nile monitor, Sudan Plated Lizard, Blue poison dart frog, Yellow and black poison dart frog, Dyeing poison dart frog, Grey tree frog, etc.
    -Monkey House-1875-1951
    -(as far as I know) Mandrill, Western Lowland Gorilla, Tamarin, Marmoset, Baboon, etc.

Monkey Island-1930-
    -Blue Sheep

Night Hunters
    -Carnivora Building-1875-1952-1985
    -Leopard, Lion, Tiger, Hyena, etc.
    -Small Mammal Building-1952-1985
    -Fox, Squirrel, Weasel, etc.
    -Cat House-1985-2010
    -Snow leopard, Coatimundi, Serval, Clouded Leopard, Serval, Southern Brazilian Ocelot, Sand Cat, Black-foted cat, Caracal, Jaguarundi, Cougar, Margay, Geoffrey's cat, Tayra, Fossa, Bat-eared fox, Meerkat, Pampas cat, Fishing cat, Bobcat, Canada lynx, Eurasian lynx, Siberian lynx, Pallas' cat, Rusty spotted cat, Marbled cat, Persian leopard, Jaguar, Asian Golden cat, etc.

Lemur Lookout-2000-
    -Ibex Island-1993-2000
    -Alpine Ibex
    -Baboon Island-1962-circa 1985
    -Guinea baboon
    -The exhibit also held Markhors and Barbary sheep

Dragons!-2010-
    -Blue tree monitor
    -Giant Panda-1988-6 weeks later
    -Hillshire Farms and Kahn's Komodo Dragon Exhibit-1990-2005
    Anteater/Monkey/Bird exhibit-2006-2008
    -Giant Anteater, Golden-lion tamarin, Great currasow, Red-legged Seriema, Siberian white crane. Also (over time) the outdoor exhibit held koalas, and golden snub-nosed monkeys.

Rhino Reserve-1997-
    -Red river hog, Yellow-backed duiker, etc.
    -African Veldt-1935-1996
    -(some animals part of Rhino Reserve today) Eastern bongo, Greater flamingo, Giant eland, Damara's zebra, East African crowned-crane, etc.

White Lions of Timbavati-2001-2013(lions will move to "Africa")
    -Big Cat Canyon-1975-2000
    -White tiger

Cat Canyon(opening June 30, 2012)
    -Cat Grottos-1934-2001
    -African lion, Bengal tiger, Indo-Chinese tiger, African wild dog, many African birds
    -Tiger Canyon-2001-2011
    -White tiger, African wild dog, Cheetah, Malayan tiger

Lords of the Arctic-2000-
    -Bald eagle(returning 2012), Steller's sea eagle, Arctic ground squirrel

Jungle Trails-1993-
    -Douc langur, Striped possum, Pygmy slow loris, Shoebill stork, Roseate spoonbill, Black-and-white colobus monkey, Rock hyrax, Meerkat, Grey's crowned guenon, Aardwolf, Crowned lemur, Congo peafowl, Rhinoceros viper, Violet Turaco, Greater mouse lemur, African-striped weasel, fat-tailed dwarf lemur, Senegal galago, Patas monkey, Imperial scorpion, Wrinkled hornbill, Buff-cheeked gibbon, White-cheeked gibbon, etc.

Penguin Walkabout-1985-
    -Cape-barren goose, Greater flamingo, etc.

Sea Lion Exhibit-1878-1986-2003-
    -Harbor seal
    -Pacific walrus exhibit-1987-circa 2003

Gibbon Islands-1972-
    -Mueller's Gibbon

Red Panda Exhibit-1985-
    -Red-crowned crane

Elephant Reserve-2008-
    -Herbivora Building-1906-circa 1950's
    -Red kangaroo, American bison, Black rhinoceros, Asian elephant, Giraffe, Hippopotamus
    -Elephant House(exhibit)-1950's-1982-2000
    -Vanishing Giants-2000-2008
    -Okapi, Masai giraffe, Indian elephant, Dromedary camel

3. Moebelle

NEW REVIEW

Outdoor Exhibits

Since 1989, Wildlife Canyon has been showcasing rare species and endangered species of hoofstock from many parts of the world. It currently consists of nine different paddocks along the bottom of a steep canyon. Visitors may walk along emus, camels, wild horses, takins, river hogs and the critically endangered Sumatran rhinoceros all live here. Every Sumatran rhino that lives in the U.S. was born at the Cincinnati Zoo. Suci (2004) and Ipuh reside at the zoo today. Harapan (2007) is at the Los Angeles Zoo, and Andalas (2001), is at the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary in Indonesia.

At Eagle Eyrie, guests can walk into flight cages featuring two of some of the largest flying birds on the planet, condors and sea eagles. They can also be viewed at the bottom of the canyon on which the aviary is built on. When visitors enter, they will notice that there is nothing that can come between them and the birds. This Cincinnati Zoo is the currently only institution in North America to breed the Steller's sea eagle. The zoo is also working on setting these species back into the wild.

Monkey Island is a man-made rock home This manmade rock island is surrounded by a moat and exotic landscaping and provides a home for to a large troop of snow monkeys or Japanese macaques. It is over 80 years old. This was one of the first bar-less monkey exhibits in North America.

Gorilla World attempts to simulate the rainforest of central Africa and opened in 1978 as one of the first, natural gorilla exhibits in the country. The main exhibit is a 20,000 square foot, rainforest habitat with many tropical plants, waterfalls, a meadow, logs and vines for zoo's famous gorillas to clomb on. The Cincinnati zoo's gorilla breeding program has had 48 successful births, making the zoo in the lead for the most gorilla births in America. Because of there goirlla breeding progrem, Newsweek called the Cincinnati Zoo the "Sexiest zoo in America". The zoo also holds the record for having the most gorilla births in one year; six were born in 1996. There are also exhibits for colobus monkey and guenons.

Lemur Lookout is a man-made rock full of natural vines, plants and streams that was bult in 1962, and was once home to baboons and later ibexes, markhors, and Barbary sheep. The exhibit now features a troop of ring-tailed lemurs.

Rhino Reserve and the African Veldt is home to the zoo's large hoofed animals of the veldt of Africa and the grasslands of Asia. Guests can observe Nikki, and Indian rhino, and Klyde, a black rhino both wallow in the mud while okapis, bongos, cranes, and zebras reside in their paddocks. Zoo visitors may also overlook flamingos and geese that can be found at Flamingo Cove.

The White Lions of Timbavati habitat opened in 1998 and provides a spacious exhibit that shows off the Cincinnati Zoo's pride of four Southeast African lions that all carry the white recessive mutation gene. The pride was named "Pride of the Millenium" in 1999. Visitors can walk over the canyon bridge to view the lions unobstructed in a natural setting. They were given to the zoo by Siegfried and Roy. The lions are planned to move to the third phase of the exhibit Africa, in the summer of 2013.

Lords of the Arctic which opened in the year 2000, houses two species representing northern parts of the world in a 21,000 square foot attraction. The main animals in the area are the zoo's two polar bears, a male named Little One, and a female, Berit. Visitors can watch the bears in their one large 70,000 gallon pool that stretches between the two enclosures. There are many observation areas available for the guests, including an underwater viewing, across from a moat, and even with the bears on land only handled by 3 inches of glass. Next to the bears is an aviary that houses a bald eagle.

The Bear Grottoes were built in 1937 featuring two bear species from North and South America, black bears and Andean bears. The exhibits were built on a hillside to complete their natural mountainous habitats.

In Lorikeet Landing renovated in 2006 of the Walk-through Flight Cage that opened in 1962, allows guests to feed many birds that are native to Australia. Rainbow and ornate lorikeets, and black-capped lories are the main attraction. The flight cage is also home to magpies, cape-barren geese, ruddy shelducks, imperial and Nicobar pigeons.

Guests can hike through the Wolf Woods to see animals of North America in the very heart of zoo. The area opened in 2005 after a renovation of Otter Creek. After another renovation in the summer of 2011, exhibits for turkeys and box turtles were taken down, making room for more information about the habitat in which other species live. Guests will pass by foxes, hawks, and endangered wolves. There is aso a river otter habitat with an underwater viewing.

Gibbon Islands features endangered apes that brachiate on their large jungle gyms while surrounded by a lake. Guests can walk on the lake and see siamangs and buff-cheeked gibbons.

The red pandas were given to the zoo in 1985 from the Beijing Zoo. They live in two exhibits at the zoo that is teeming with natural plants of China, a large stream, and many trees for climbing, making this one of the greatest red panda exhibits in the country.

Swan Lake is the largest body of water at the zoo, giving a home to native waterfowl of Cincinnati. As many species like mallards, pintails, and swans float on the water, the historic train also circles around them, with the tracks on the lake. Along the end of the lake is Crane Island, home to a Japanese species called red-crowned cranes. Wetland Trails is also part of the lake, giving an all natural, open-aired habitat to a sandhill crane.

Indoor Exhibits

World of the Insect was the first and largest building in the world with the widest collection of six-legged species. The zoo has received four AZA awards for this achievement, which also includes breeding many rare species like the Hercules beetle, the Royal Goliath beetle, the Giant Southeast Asian Walking Stick and the Harlequin beetle. The building also displays creatures that prey on insects like tamarins, spiny lizards, horned frogs, poison dart frogs, rough snakes, tree montiors, leaf geckos, and naked mole rats. Connected to the building is a separate walk-through atrium called the Butterfly Rainforest. It showcases helmeted turtles, cock-of-the-rocks, ground doves, Peruvian pigeons, manakins, cotingas, pheasant pigeons, pygmy geese, and flower butterflies. Over seventy species are on display throughout the building, but it contains over 500,000 individuals.

Ants: Bullet Ant, Leaf-cutting ant, Big-headed At, Velvet Ant

Beetles: American Burying Beetle, Blue Death Feigning Beetle, Red-lined Darkling Beetle, Emerald beetle, Flamboyant flower beetle, Hercules beetle, Magnificent Flower Beetle, Jade-Headed Buffalo Beetle, Sunburst diving beetle, Taxi-Cab Beetle, Tin-Foil Beetle, Yellow-bellied beetle.

Cockroaches: Bat Cave cockroach, Green-Leaf Cockroach, Madagascar hissing cockroach, Zebra Bug.

Grasshoppers: Eastern Lubber Grasshopper, Grey Bird Grasshopper.
    Scorpions: Emperor scorpion, Giant desert hairy scorpion, Vinegaroon, Water Scorpion.

Walking Sticks: Australian Walking Stick, Giant Jumping Stick, Giant Walking Stick.

Other Various Invertebrates: Giant African Millipede, Giant Water Bug, Giant Spiny leaf insect, Honeybee, Malayan leaf Katydid, Red-Eyed Assassin Bug, Tri-Colored Backswimmer, White-eyed assassin bug, Water Strider.

Based on the Everglades, Manatee Springs houses many different species of wildlife from the swamps of Florida. The first section of the building is a greenhouse that simulates the sights and sounds of a marsh swamps in which alligators, snapping turtles, and crocodiles live in. The next section is indoors that features different sections like the River of Grass with knight anoles and silk spiders. The Florida Biodiversity area has many wall exhibits with the animals behind glass that contain timber rattlesnakes, anoles, snails, basslet fish, coral shrimp, copperheads, waters snakes, musk turtles, mosquitofish, and water dogs. The Infamous Plant Invaders tank is an underwater viewing of a simulated swamp, it features pirahnas, tilapia, oscars, cichlids, and green severums. Palmetto Scrub is one large co-existing snake exhibit featuring diamondback rattlesnakes, corn, yellow rat, and Everglades rat snakes. The main attraction of the building is the 120,000 gallon tank with many gars, carp,and the zoo's manatees. Visitors can get a dramatic close-up viewing of Wooten, and Betsy, the zoo's rare Florida manatees. The Cincinnati Zoo is one of only two institutions in America that helps rehabilitate and set manatees free into the wild. The zoo has freed 8 manatees which includes the latest one Illusion, a female who went back into her natural habitat on November 9, 2011.

Discovery Forest is a 4,500-square-foot tropical rainforest housed in a unique, two-story circular atrium as part of the Harold C. Schott Education Center that opened in 1996. Discovery Forest is designed to engage guests in a multi-sensory exploration of the world of plants and their importance. The setting is a tropical Latin American rainforest, incorporating interpretive elements from throughout Central and South America. In 2008, several neotropical animals like a two-toed sloth, a macaw, toads, and boa constrictors were added to emphasize the relationship between plants and animals.

Indoor and Outdoors

Jungle Trails takes visitors through a 2.5 acre naturalized rain forest habitat, teeming with rare and exotic wildlife and hundreds of plant species from Asia and Africa. The exhibit, with both indoor and outdoor viewing areas, is home to the Zoo's collection of rare primates, such as orangutans, bonobos, Meuller's and lar gibbons, bamboo, ruffed, and sifaka lemurs, colobus monkeys, langurs, macaques, pottos, and galagos. In addition, Jungle Trails houses some of the zoo's birds, reptiles, and other rare mammals that include adjutant and saddle-billed storks, pelicans, ravens, hornbills, starlings, shelducks, hamerkops, cloud rats, civets, sugar gliders, genets, and ground boas. The attraction received the AZA prestigious exhibit award in 1994, a year after it opened. ​

The Children's Zoo is a large 55,000 square foot attraction designed to make any guests enjoy interacting with many wildlife. The zoo's nursery resides here and features baby animals that come from dfiferent zoos. It contains Padmae the aardvark, Lucy the bearcat, Adams a parma wallaby, and Rocko and Jazz, the bennett's wallabies. On the side of the building is a wire, enclosed habitat for pigeons. The young animals have the opportunity to come out of their exhibit, and walk around the zoo with the keepers. The play area even has small habitats for threes species of armadillos, and three species of tortoises. Children may enter the Petting Zoo to feed and interact with goats and sheep. Blakely's Barn, that was added in 1997, has both indoor and outdoor paddocks for close viewing of four-horned sheep, cattle, llamas, dwarf goats, minature cows, donkeys, and alpacas. At the entrance of the attraction is Penguin Walkabout that opened in 1985, litlle and black-footed penguins reside here.

Giraffe Ridge, opened on June 6, 2008, gives guests an opportunity to look out onto a wide 121,000 square foot vista simulating the savannah while being on an elevated boardwalk to overlook Kimba and Tessa, the mating Masai giraffes. The boardwalk was designed for guests also to view the giraffes in their night stalls all year long. This attraction was the first phase of the future exhibit caled Africa. The zoo later added a flamingo and crane habitat.

Elephant Reserve, opened in 2008 after the renovation of Vanishing Giants, in an area that has been exhibiting elephants and other pachyderms since the zoo's opening in 1875. The main feature of the exhibit is a 1.5 acre female habitat showcasing the zoo's stars, Schottzie, Mai-Thai, and Jati. The exhibit includes a 60,000 gallon pool that is located right next to one of the many viewing areas. Sabu, the bull, has his own habitat that was added in the year 2006. Sabu came originally came to the zoo around 1997, and again in 2008. In the cold weather, the visitors can still view the Indian elephants in the national landmark Elephant House that was built in 1906 when it first featured other herbivores like rhinos, hippos, kangaroos, and giraffes. It is still is the largest complete concrete building of its kind and gives a Taj Mahal like appearance. Together, Elephant Reserve is 3.5 acres, currently the largest exhibit at the zoo. The zoo has only bred one elephant, but it was the first elephant birth in Ohio since the Ice Age. His name was Ganesh, born on March 15, 1998, from Sabu and Jati. He was transferred to the Columbus Zoo in 2003 because the zoo ddi not have the space for two bulls. Plans have been announced for Jati and Sabu to breed again, but there has not been news on her being pregnant.

The Reptile House, which is also America's oldest existing zoo building, is a Turish style building that once showcased primates in 1875 until 1951. The zoo has been exhibiting large collection of smaller reptiles since 1937. The Cincinnati Zoo has bred many endangered and threatened species that are rarely seen in zoos. Guests can encricle a rotunda and pass by a variety of monitors, pythons, mambas, tortoises, and even frogs and salamanders behind glass, and in one open-topped exhibit in the center of the building. Even though the habitats are currently all indoors, the zoo is constructing the Reptile House's first outdoor exhibit. It is set to open in June 2012 and will feature six young Galapagos tortoises that the zoo received in 2009 from the San Diego Zoo. Other renovations will include newly designed exhibits, windows, vents, and painting the roof red, it's originial color. On the side of the building is small, branch-covered island home to a major mitchell's cockatoo.

Center Exhibit: Chinese Alligators, red-eared slider, common snapping turtles

Snakes: Dumeril's ground boa, green tree python, Nelson's Milksnake, black rat snake, eyelash viper, Brazilian lancehead, tercipelo, Yucatan neotropical rattlesnake, Thai red mountain snake, gaboon viper, puff adder, California king snake, Brazilian rainbow boa, king bobras, Mexican west coast rattlesnakes, eastern diamonback rattlesnakes, Angolan python, Aruba Island rattlesnake, Caatinga lancehead, and Jameson' mambas.

Lizards: Solomon Islands skink, Madagascar giant day geckos, reticulated Gila monster. blue tree monitor, African fat-tailed gecko. Razo Island skink, Desert grassland whiptail lizard, and a ornate monitor.

Tortoises: Pancake tortoises, and Galapagos tortoises.

Amphibians: Texas blind salamanders, spring salamanders, Amazon milk frogs.

Night Hunters is a new multi-sensory journey through the wild at night that features a variety of nocturnal predators that make visitors feel like the prey. Guests will see flying creatures like an eagle owl, vampire bats, and fruit bats. Cat species like endangered Pallas' cats, leopards, ocelots, black-footed cats, sand cats, a caracal, fishing cats, and bobcats. There are dog and cat like species like fossas, aardwolves, bearcats, tayras, bat-eared foxes, and fennec foxes. Extremely rare primates like lorises, pottos, and bushbabies. aardvarks and a python are also displayed. There are even outdoor habitats for Joseph and Tecumseh the cougars, and a lynx.

Dragons! is both an indoor and outdoor attraction that showcases monitor lizards that range from the smallest to the longest, and the largest in the world. Guests will see view Ackies dwarf, green tree, quince, and crocodile monitors, including the star of the attraction Hudo, a Komodo dragon behind glass with each exhibit have artificial branches across the exhibit. After guests exit the building, located just outside is the Komodo dragon exhibit displaying Hudo in the warmer months.

Wings of the World features over 50 species from 15 corners of the world that fly and swim in lavishly planted aviaries and displays that provide habitats as natural as the outdoors. Places from the Amazon all the way to the Antarctic Coast. Guests can see owls, macaws, bird-of-paradises, hornbills, parakeets, auklets, puffins and three species of penguins.

Outdoor Habitats: Barred owls, blue-and-gold macaws, blue-throated macaws and crested screamers.

Amazon: Matamata turtles, southern screamers, opal-rumped tanagers, paradise tanagers, red-capped cardinals, elegant crested tinamous, guira cuckoos, golden conures, nothern helmeted curassows, northern lapwings, Pesquet's parrots, red shovelers, red-rumped caciques, saffron finches, scarlet ibises, sunbitterns, and yellow-rumped caciques.

Australasia: Raggiana bird-of-paradises (Outside the actual aviary), Asian fairy bluebirds, Bali mynahs, black-collored fruit pigeons, blue-crowned laughing thrushes, giant fruit bats, jambu fruit doves, Nicobar pigeons, ornate fruit doves, a rhinoceros hornbill, Victoria crowned pigeons, white-throated ground doves, and white-naped pheasant pigeons.

Montane: Masked bobwhite quails, and thick-billed parrots.
    Grasslands: Black-winged red bishops, blue-breatesd kingfishers, blue-naped mousebirds, buff-crested bustards, four-banded sandgrouses, golden-breasted starling, northern carmine bee-eaters, and violet-backed starlings.

Wetlands: Double-crested cormorants, tri-colored herons: ruddy ducks, red-bellied cooters, and peninsula cooters.

Song Bird Exhibits (renovating): Violet-backed starlings, Bourke's parakeets, red-flanked lorikeets, scarlet-chested parrots, and gouldian finches.

Arctic Islands: Crested auklets, harlequin ducks, least auklets, whiskered aukelts, smews, and spectacled eiders.

Arctic Sea Cliffs: Common murre, harlequin ducks, horned puffins, pigeon guillemots, and spectacled eiders.

Sub-antarctic Coast: A Black-faced ibis, Chiloe wigeons, blue-eyed cormorants, Inca terns, king penguins, Magellanic penguins and southern rockhopper penguins.

4. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

Hi Moebelle, one quick question for ya. Once the white lions move over to the new africa exhibit is there any plans on what they will do with there old enclosure? thks

5. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hi Moebelle,

This is an exhaustive review, seems you are definitely in the right place here on Zoochat.

Out of curiosity is this all your writing or is there a bit of cutting and pasting? I ask not at all in judgement, just genuinely curious.

6. Moebelle

Maybe.... I will change it, I'm not one of the greatest of writers. I had it all done by myself but it looked awful. The animal list is mine and all the main facts are mine though.

7. Moebelle

There is not. Maybe it will be for tigers again like it was in 1975. But I would like to see like a leopard or a jaguar in there. It is one of the lushest exhibits at the zoo but if they are going to be for those types of cats part of that, there would have to be more trees to climb on as there is currently not.

8. Moebelle

I looked over it again (with a couple of typos) and I would say 95% is mine. Other parts are just descriptions that have been used and passed on by other people. But what stinks is is that I can't edit it anymore.

9. Moebelle

A new review! If you are a type of person who put summaries of the exhibits in the photo and would like to use these I don't mind. Anyways this review has a diagram of the elephants at the zoo, fully updated species list, and some of the animals' names.

Wildlife Canyon
    Wildlife Canyon opened in 1989 and is where guests can see rare and endangered hoofstock. Eight paddocks provide homes to six species such as camels, takins, and wild horses. Two canopy covered, tropical habitats give a natural shelter to the only Sumatran Rhinoceroses on display in the Western Hemisphere. These rhinos are Suci, and her father Ipuh. The Cincinnati Zoo is the only zoo to have one, two, and three Sumatran rhino births. Andalas, born on September 14, 2001, was the first Sumatran rhino born in captivity in 112 years. He is currently located at the Sumatran Rhinoceros Sanctuary in Indonesia, where resides with his mate Ratu, and his son Andatu. "Andalas" Suci, born on July 30, 2004, was the second Sumatran rhino born in captivity and remains at the zoo. Harapan, born on April 27, 2007, is the third Sumatran rhino born in captivity and lives at the Los Angeles Zoo where he remains off display. In Indonesian, Andalas is a word for literally Sumatra, Suci means "holy", and Harapan means "hope". The mother, Emi, died of liver complications in 2009, leaving the zoo's Sumatran Rhino Breeding Program currently on hold.

*Emu
    *Bactrian Camel (Saari, Humphrey, Bogart)
    *Przewalski's Horse (Raisin, Bellatessa)
    *Sichuan Takin
    *Red River Hog
    *Sumatran Rhinoceros (Suci, Ipuh)

Eagle Eyrie
    Opened in 1970 as the largest flight cage in the nation at the time, Eagle Eyrie is a 72 ft. tall, 140 ft. long, and 50 ft. wide aviary separated into two exhibits for some of the largest flying birds in the world. Guests can enter into each flight cage while being in wooden, observation shelters with an open fronted viewing, so nothing can come between the visitors and the birds. The Cincinnati Zoo is the only zoo in North American that breeds the Steller's Sea Eagle.

*Andean Condor
    *Steller's Sea Eagle

Reptile House
    The Reptile House is a 40 ft. tall, Turkish style building that was built in 1875, and is the oldest existing zoo building in America. The building was originally the Monkey House until renovation in 1951 in which it has since contained many reptiles. Guests may view the animals as they encircle around the building. In winter 2012, the zoo will temporarily close the Reptile House for a major renovation of exhibits, roofing, and air vents. It will open again in the spring of 2013. In May 2012, the zoo opened an outdoor yard for the endangered Galapagos tortoise. At certain times of the day, guests can walk in the habitat and pet the tortoises.

*Snakes: Gaboon Viper, Green Tree Python, Dumeril's Ground Boa, Nelson's Milk Snake, Brazil's Lancehead, Terciopelo, Black Rat Snake, Yucatan Neotropical Rattlesnake, Puff Adder, California Kingsnake, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Mexican West Coast Rattlesnake, Everglades Rat Snake, Aruba Island Rattlesnake, Angolan Python, Black Milk Snake, Jameson's Mamba.
    *Lizards/Crocodilians: Chinese Alligator, Blue Tree Monitor, Madagascar Giant Day Gecko, African Fat-tailed Gecko, Razo Island Skink, Rio Fuetre Beaded Lizard, Desert Grassland Wiptail Lizard, Ornate Monitor.
    *Turtles and Tortoises: Red-eared Slider, Alligator Snapping Turtle, Florida Snapping Turtle, Pancake Tortoise, Galapagos Tortoise (outdoors).
    *Amphibians: Cave Salamander, Spring Salamander, Amazon Milk Frog

Monkey Island
    A troop of Japanese macaques live on this island that was built in 1930.

Night Hunters
    Opened on May 21, 2011, this building that once was the historic Cat House, is now converted into a nocturnal setting of darkness lightened with ultra-violet lighting. The building consists of species from the zoo's former Nocturnal House, and Cat House. Guests may walk past animals such as owls, bats, small cats, and other nocturnal predators. Tayras were born in May 2012, and 2011. The Cincinnati Zoo is the only institution in North America that breeds tayras. On August 14, 2011, the zoo added an outdoor, woodland habitat for cougars. This exhibit allows the observers and the cougars to walk right up to the glass.

*Eurasian Eagle Owl
    *Pallas' Cat
    *Fossa
    *Aardwolf (Chippie, Changa)
    *Clouded Leopard
    *Banded Palm Civet
    *Potto
    *Common Vampire Bat
    *Southern Three-banded Armadillo
    *Aardvark
    *Indian Flying Fox
    *Greater Bushbaby
    *Southern Brazilian Ocelot
    *Burmese Python
    *Black-footed Cat
    *Arabian Sand Cat
    *Caracal
    *Bearcat
    *Tayra
    *Bat-eared Fox
    *Fennec Fox
    *Fishing Cat
    *Bobcat
    *Cougar (Joseph, Tecumseh)
    *Siberian Lynx

Cat Canyon
    Cat Canyon opened on June 30, 2012 after a major renovation of grottoes that were built in 1934. The renovation included a new outlook on endangered cats, such as an eye-level viewing of tigers, and snow leopards. Older exhibits only allowed visitors to view the cats from above. Other features were added like a Montane Asian Garden, fake tiger scat, and a tiger scratch-post where guests may be caught on camera (as one's used in the wild to track tigers) as they step near the tree.

*White Tiger (Pospy, Akere)
    *Malayan Tiger (Taj, Who-Dey)
    *Snow Leopard (Renji, Nubo, Olga)

Gorilla World
    The Gorilla World exhibit opened in 1978 as the first naturalistic gorilla habitat in the United States. The exhibit is complete with waterfalls, large trees, and ways on how guests can help save gorillas. The Cincinnati Zoo currently has had the most gorilla births than any other zoo in the country with 48, the last being in 2006. In 1996, six gorillas were born, the most in one year. The first test tube gorilla, Timu, was born at the zoo as-well in in 1995. Due to many breeding efforts, the zoo was named the "Sexiest Zoo in America", by Newsweek. Currently eight gorillas reside at the zoo.

*Western Lowland Gorilla (M: Jomo, Kwashi. F: Mara, Anju, Asha, M'Linzi, Samantha, Chewie)
    *Eastern Black-and-White Colobus
    *Grey's Crowned Guenon

World of the Insect
    The zoo's AZA award winning Insectarium as been the largest collection of invertebrates in it's opening in 1978. World of the Insect contains many terrariums for over 500 species of insects located all around the building. The zoo has received four breeding awards for species such as the Hercules beetle, royal Goliath beetle, giant walking stick, and the harlequin beetle. The building teaches visitors how important insects are to society, and how they survive in the world. Besides invertebrates, many reptile, mammal, and bird species are within the building. The Leaf-Cutter Ant Station, are two large tanks connected by a glass tube that travels into multiple rooms in which millions of ants can walk through.

*What is an Insect?: Green-leaf Cockroach, Emerald Beetle, Vinegaroon, Amazon Millipede, Mexican Red-knee Tarantula, Togo Tarburst Tarantula, Zebra Bug, Red-eyed Assassin Bug, Malayan-Leaf Katydid, Desert Hairy Scorpion.
    *Success of the Insect: Bat Cave Cockroach, Yellow-bellied Beetle, Jade-headed Buffalo Beetle, Emperor scorpion.
    *What Insects Eat: Tin-foil Beetle, Thorny Devil, Dead-Lead Mantid, Brown Recluse Spider, East African Whip Scorpion, Cave Whip Spider, Sonoran Desert Centipede, Honey Ant
    *Defense and Escape: Emperor Scorpion, Grey Bird Grasshopper, Giant Jumping Stick, Sunburst Diving Beetle, Golden Silk Orb-Weaver.
    *What Eats Insects: Blue Spiny Lizard, Black Tree Monitor, Rough Green Snake, Dyeing Poison Dart Frog, Madagascar Giant Day Gecko, Ornate Horned Frog, Emperor Tamarin.
    *Insects in Motion: Australian Walking Stick, Giant Spiny Leaf Insect, Water Scavenger Beetle, Giant water bug, Indian Whisker Shrimp, Water scorpion, Water Strider.
    *Naked Mole Rat: An Termite-Like Mammal: Naked Mole Rat
    *Egg to Adult: White-eyed Assassin Bug, Velvet ant, Red-lined Darkling Beetle.
    *Insect Lifestyles: Taxicab Beetle, Madagascar Hissing Cockroach, Brazilian Salmon-pink Tarantula, Eastern Lubber Grasshopper, Giant Cockroach, Bullet Ant, Giant Walking Stick, Leaf-cutter Ant, Green-leaf Katydid, Big headed Ant, Honeybee.
    *Butterfly Rainforest: African-helmeted Turtle, African Pygmy Goose, Jambu Fruit Dove, Spangled Cotinga, West Peruvian Dove, White-naped Pheasant Pigeon, Golden-headed Manakin, Blue Ground Dove, Passion Flower Butterfly.

Dragons!
    Dragons!, is an indoor facility home to the zoo's large collection of monitor lizards. Species include the smallest to the largest monitors on the planet. The last habitat of the complex is home to a large, male Komodo Dragon, who has access to both indoor and outdoor yards.

*Ackies Dwarf Monitor
    *Green Tree Monitor
    *Quince Monitor
    *Crocodile Monitor (Jasper)
    *Komodo Dragon (Hudo)

Lemur Lookout
    Four ring-tailed lemurs live in this open-topped, trench complete with real plant life, rock-work, a moat, and mist that covers the area, giving a rainforest sense to the exhibit. The island was built in 1962 when it originally contained baboons.

Manatee Springs
    Completed in 1999, Manatee Springs is an all indoor exhibit based on the*Everglades that houses many different species of wildlife from the swamps of Florida. The first exhibits are located in a greenhouse that simulates the sights and sounds of a freshwater swamp, tropical hammock and coastal wetland mangrove wetlands. Within the greenhouse are real plants that hang down from every corner, such as live oak, bald cypress, Spanish moss, and sabal palm trees. Also the Discovery Area is where visitors are encouraged to investigate the skeletal features of the Florida manatee and to see a sampling of species that contribute to Florida's diversity. Along with many species such as snakes, fish, and amphibians, the complex holds Wooten, and Besty, the zoo's recued manatees. Their home is a 120,000 tank with three viewing windows for a dramatic look at this rare species. The Cincinnati Zoo is one of two zoos that is involved with setting manatees back into the wild. Nine manatees that have resided at the zoo have been released back into natural water.

*Greenhouse: American Alligator, Florida Cooter, Spotted Turtle, Alligator Snapping Turtle, American Crocodile.
    *Featured Animals: Caribbean Hermit Crab, Alligator Snapping Turtle, Black Crappie, Channel Catfish, Golden shiner, Largemouth Bass, Redbreast sunfish, Redear sunfish.
    *River of Grass: Knight Anole, Golden Silk Orb-weaver.
    *Florida Biodiversity: Timber Rattlesnake, Green Anole, Gramma Royal Basslet, Florida Decorated Crab, Margarita Snail, Peppermint Shrimp, Turbo Snail, Royal Coral Shrimp, Scarlet Hermit Crab, Southern Copperhead, Mangrove Water Snake, Loggerhead Musk Turtle, Western Mosquitofish, Eastern Gulf Coast Water Dog.
    *Manatees: Florida Manatee (Wooten, Betsy), Alligator Gar, Chain Pickerel, Channel Catfish, Grass Carp, Florida Gar, Florida Softshell Turtles, Longnose Gar, Spotted Gar.
    *Infamous Alien Invaders: Azureus Cichlid, Banded Dwarf Cichlid, Green Severum, Oscar Fish, Mozambique Tilapia, Red Devil Cichlid, Red-eyed Piranha.
    *Palmetto Scrub: Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Corn Snake, Yellow Rat Snake, and Everglades Rat Snake.

Rhino Reserve
    The Rhino Reserve exhibit is home to a variety of rare hoofstock and large birds of Africa and Asia that live in a series of paddocks constructed in 1935, and 1997. The path circles around the attraction, along with a view from the zoo's train that travels above it, making it resemble a veldt. It includes rhinoceroses, bongos, zebras, and flamingos at Flamingo Cove, a habitat that represents the wetlands of Africa. One of these species is the Indian Rhinoceros. In October 2010, Nikki, an Indian rhino, was the first to be successfully conceived by artificial insemination and eventually give birth. The offspring past away due to breathing complications 12 hours after birth. A bongo antelope, zebra, and two flamingos were born throughout the year 2012. Kuvua, one of the zoo's okapis, is currently pregnant and is expected to give birth in late 2012.

*Indian Rhinoceros (Nikki, Manjula)
    *Okapi (Kuvua, Kiloro)
    *Yellow-backed Duiker
    *Eastern Bongo
    *East African Crowned Crane
    *Greater Flamingo (Flamingo Cove)
    *Grevy's Zebra (Lainey Lynn, Shewa, Marty, Savanna)
    *Eastern Black Rhinoceros (Klyde)

White Lions of Timbavati
    The white lions exhibit was originally built in 1975 and is designed to take visitors on a wooden boardwalk that is elevated over a lushly planted exhibit for the zoo's famous southeast African lions. Three white lions were introduced and given to the zoo in 1988 by Siegfried and Roy. Their names were males Sunshine and Future, and a female named Prosperity. On August 1, 2001, Prosperity and Sunshine became parents of four, the largest litter of white lions born in the U.S. After these births, Siegfried and Roy named the lions the Pride of the Millennium. Properity gave birth to three males, Courage, Wisdom, and Legend, who were sent to the Toledo Zoo, and Gracious, a female that remained in Cincinnati. In 2013, the white lions are planned to move into the zoo's own future exhibit, Africa!, which is the year the attraction will officially open.

*Southeast African Lion (Sunshine, Future, Prosperity, Gracious)

Jungle Trails
    Jungle Trails is a Best Exhibit Award winning attraction that was completed and opened in 1993. The trails takes guests into a 2.5 acre simulated tropical habitat that compares the deep, dense, rainforests of Asia and Africa. Each exhibit is lavishly planted with foliage from which the animal in the enclosure inhabits. Jungle Trails is best known for being home to most of the zoo's primates such as gibbons, orangutans, bonobos, and rare prosimians. Each trail features both outdoor and indoor exhibits, as-well as nocturnal creatures and birds.

*Asia: Mueller's Grey Gibbon, Lesser Adjutant Stork, Sumatran Orangutan (Lana, Henry), White-handed Gibbon, Francois' Langur (indoor/outdoor), Lion-tailed Macaque (indoor/outdoor)
    *Tropical Asian Animals (building): Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rat, Pygmy Slow Loris, Sugar Glider.
    *Africa: Pink-backed Pelican, Saddle-billed Stork, Black-and-white Ruffed Lemur, Bonobo, Congo Peafowl, Coquerel's Sifaka (Rinaldo, Wilhelmina).
    *Tropical African Animals (building): Potto, Garnett's Galago, Large-spotted Genets, Diana Monkey, Northern Yellow-billed Hornbill, Ruddy Shelduck, Golden-breasted Starling, Emperor Scorpion, Bonobo, Aye-Aye, Grey Bamboo Lemur, (pottos share an exhibit with aye-ayes and the lemurs), Dumeril's Ground Boa.

Lords of the Arctic
    The Lords of the Arctic is a 21,000 sq ft enclosure that opened in 2000 to hold the largest land predators on the planet, polar bears. Visitors can watch these bears from many parts of the exhibit such as an overlook of the main area, eye-to-eye, and an under-water viewing, only with 2.5 inches of glass between man and the beast.

*Polar Bear (Little One, Berit)
    *Barred Owl

Bear Hill
    The Bear Hill, or the Bear Line are exhibits that were constructed in 1937 which are home to black and Andean bears. These grottoes along with the polar bear exhibit were built on a hillside to not allow sunlight shine onto the exhibits so the bears could get the sense of their natural habitat.

*Spectacled Bear (Chester)
    *American Black Bear

Wings of the World
    As originally being the Reptile House, the building was built in 1937 and later renovated in 1951 to hold hundreds of thousands of birds from all over the world. Birds from the Arctic all the way to the Antarctic along with 50 other feathered species are displayed in habitats as natural as the outdoors. Every exhibit gives a close-up opportunity of every species in the building as well as two walk-through atriums where the birds are free-ranging.

*Outdoor Exhibits: Crested Screamer, Blue-and-gold Macaw, Scarlet Macaw, Laughing Kookaburra.
    *South America:Blue-crowned Mot-Mot, Boat-billed Heron, Cattle Egret, Elegant Crested Tinamou, Golden Conure, Guira Cuckoo, Mata Mata, Northern-Helmeted Curassow, Opal-rumped Tanager, Paradise Tanager, Red-rumped Cacique, Red Shoveler, Saffron Finch, Scarlet Ibis, Sunbittern, Yellow-rumped Cacique.
    *Australasia: Ragianna Bird-of-Paradise (outside aviary), Asian Fairy Bluebird, Bali Mynah, Black-collored Fruit Pigeon, Blue-crowned Laughingthrush, Chestnut Teal, Giant Fruit Bat, Guam Rail, Jambu Fruit Dove, Nicobar Pigeon, Ornate Fruit Dove, Rhinoceros Hornbill, Victoria Crowned Pigeon, White-throated Ground Dove.
    *Montane: Masked Bobwhite Quail, Thick-billed Parrot.
    *Grasslands: Black-winged Red Bishop, Blue-naped Mousebird, Buff-crested Bustard, Golden-breasted Starling, Four-banded Sandgrouse, Violet-backed Starling, Yellow Bishop.
    *Wetlands: Double-crested Cormorant, Northern Red-bellied Cooter, Peninsula Cooter, Ruddy Duck, Tri-colored Heron.
    *Featured Animals: Feather-tail Glider, Bourke's Parakeet, Gouldian Finch, Scarlet-chested Parrot, Blue-breasted Kingfisher.
    *Arctic Islands: Crested Auklet, Harlequin Duck, Hooded Merganser, Least Auklet, Smew, Spectacled Eider, Whiskered Auklet.
    *Arctic Sea Cliffs: Common Murre, Harlequin Duck, Horned Puffin, Pigeon Guillemot, Spectacled Eider.
    *Sub-Antarctic Coast: Black-faced Ibis, Chiloe Wigeon, King Penguin, Imperial Shag, Inca Tern, Magellanic Penguin, Southern Rockhopper Penguin.

Lorikeet Landing
    Originally opened in 1962 as the Walk-through Flight Cage, this aviary consists of free-flying species of Australia, Africa, and Southeast Asia. Guests may purchase seed sticks and nectar inside the aviary and may feed hundreds of lorikeets.

*Black-capped Lory
    *Cape-barren Goose
    *Green-naped Lorikeet
    *Magpie Goose
    *Pied-Imperial Pigeon
    *Olive-headed Lorikeet
    *Ornate Lorikeet
    *Rainbow Lorikeet
    *Ruddy Shelduck
    *Speckled Pigeon

Wolf Woods
    Located in the very heart of the zoo, Wolf Woods represents the woodland forests of North America. Each exhibit gives guests a closer look at the animals in the habitat. The Mexican Wolf Research Station, is a cabin complete with a large, window viewing, and a crawl-in den for the viewing of the zoo's endangered wolves. River otters can be seen swimming and playing underwater as spectators watch through glass.

*Grey Fox
    *North American River Otter (Nero, Zoey)
    *Mexican Wolf (Maya, Sedona)
    *Red-tailed Hawk

Sea Lions
    The sea lion exhibit depicts the rocky shores of the Pacific Coast. The habitat is open-topped with both above and underwater viewing. The exhibit originally held three walruses. Later two passed away and one surviving male was transferred to Seaworld Orlando. In 2002, the zoo received two sea lions along with harbor seals.

*California Sea Lion (Callie, Duke).

Children's Zoo
    The zoo's Spaulding Children's Zoo opened up in June 1985. The 55,000 square footage is full of habitats that are designed to get zoo visitors up close and personal with each species. The Children's Zoo includes a walk-through penguin exhibit, a baby animal nursery, petting zoo, barnyard, and a playground. Lucy, a bearcat in the nursery, is taken to each Cincinnati Bearcat Football home game to be a mascot for the cities own team.

*Penguin Walkabout: African Penguin, Little Penguin.
    *Nursery: Bennett's Wallaby (Don, Jazz, Rocko, Tom), Domestic Dog (Blakely), Bearcat (Lucy), Parma Wallaby (Adams).
    *Petting Zoo: Baby Doll Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Goat.
    *Blakely's Barnyard: Jacob Sheep, Dexter Cattle, Miniature Cattle, Nigerian Dwarf Goat, Llama, Miniature Donkey, Alpaca.
    *Other Animals: Southern Three-banded Armadillo, Homing Pigeon, Radiated Tortoise, Red-footed Tortoise, Gopher Tortoise, Domestic Chicken, Red Junglefowl.

Gibbon Islands
    The Gibbon Islands part of the zoo was constructed and completed in 1972. Each habitat is located on two separate islands that consist of wide jungle gyms for brachiating opportunities for the apes as they do in the wild. For viewing of the gibbons, guests may walk on a wooden boardwalk that travels right near each right near each island for close viewing of the animals.

*Siamang
    *Buff-cheeked Gibbon

Red Pandas
    The current two red panda exhibits that exist today were opened in 1985. Each enclosure portrays the temperate forests of the highlands in China, displaying montane foliage, flowing waterfalls, and large trees for climbing.

Elephant Reserve
    The exhibit Elephant Reserve, opened in 2008, which is home to the zoo's four endangered elephants. Nearly 3.5 acres is made up of two habitats on each side of the area while between them is the historic Elephant House. The Elephant House was built in 1906 and is currently the largest complete concrete animal building in North America. The building is overall 150 ft long, 75 ft wide, and 75 ft tall. It is fully shaped to give an Indian style appearance, portraying some features of the Taj Mahal. In 1975 the Elephant House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places list. During the winter season, while the elephants must remain indoors, guests may enter the Elephant House to get within only a few feet of two of the zoo's elephants. Only one elephant has been born at the zoo, Ganesh, a male born on March 15, 1998 that was later transferred to Columbus, where he later passed away in 2005. Ganesh was Ohio's first elephant to be both conceived and born. The Cincinnati Zoo was the first institution to not contain elephants with tall metal bars but to use rock walls for a more natural setting.

Meet the Elephants (see bottom)

Giraffe Ridge
    The giraffe exhibit is a 121,000 sq ft grassland field that portrays the African Savanna where the guests observe from an elevated boardwalk to overlook the wide vista. Along with viewing of the main exhibit, windows were placed onto the giraffe's night stalls adjacent to the boardwalk for a chance to watch the animals all year round. The Giraffe Ridge exhibit opened on June 6, 2008 with five giraffes though the zoo now only has two. Adjoining the giraffe habitat is a flamingo enclosure that was added in 2010.

*Masai Giraffe (Tessa, Kimba)
    *East African Crowned Crane
    *Greater Flamingo

Discovery Forest
    Discovery Forest is a 4,500-square-foot tropical rainforest housed in a one of a kind, two-story circular conservatory that was added to the Education Center in 2006. The atrium is intended to employ guests in a multi-sensory investigation of plants of the world and their significance. The scenery is a tropical Latin American rainforest, uniting components from all of Central and South America. This immersive greenhouse is home to neotropical animals that brings out the relationship between plants and animals.

*Blue-and-gold Macaw X Military Macaw Hybrid
    *Boa Constrictor
    *Linnaeus's Two-toed Sloth (Moe)

Attached Files:

10. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member

What is basically a grotto is naturalistic? The Cincinnati Zoo has a fantastic collection and great breeding records, but a fair amount of exhibits aren't so good.

11. Moebelle

I don't see how that is a grotto. And you say that a fair amount of exhibits aren't so good, well I made a list of the Best, More Good Than Bad, More Bad Than Good, and Bad exhibits. Which should be up pretty soon.

12. BeardsleyZooFan

13. Moebelle

14. BeardsleyZooFan

Read the comments people have posted. You'll realize that this exhibit is outdated. Cincy might not have the resources to build a brand new gorilla exhibit, but that doesn't change the fact that this enclosure is disappointing. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but look at the pictures below and compare.
    http://www.zoochat.com/547/bronx-zoo-congo-gorilla-forest-41177/
    http://www.zoochat.com/622/tropical-rainforest-western-lowland-gorilla-exhibit-278337/
    http://www.zoochat.com/277/pangani-forest-exploration-trail-bachelor-gorilla-135151/
    http://www.zoochat.com/551/myombe-reserve-gorilla-exhibit-see-gorilla-287761/

15. Moebelle

Haha, believe it or not I just looked at most of these:) In all honesty yes this is sort of "outdated", yet I don't see how it can't be considered a good exhibit. Gorilla World is a great experience for both ape and man. Most of the gorillas are very enjoyable to watch, they play with the keepers, play fight each other for food, and climb on the very large tree in the exhibit. To add on to the point of it being a "bad exhibit", it is very lush and is full of tall plants along with plenty of shade opportunies.

16. Moebelle

Best:
    Aardvark/Galago/Bat, Aardwolf, Ackies Dwarf Monitor, African Fat-tailed Gecko, All Insect Exhibits, Amazon Milk Frog, Andean Condor, Arabian Sand Cat, Bactrian Camel, Black-footed Cat, Blue-spiny Lizard, Blue Tree Monitor, Cave + Spring Salamander, Cougar, Emu, Gaboon Viper, Galapagos Tortoise, Giant Day Gecko, Jameson's Mamba, Grassland Whiptail Lizard, Green Tree Python, Sumatran Rhino, Steller's Sea Eagle, , Beaded Lizard, California Kingsnake, Eastern Diamondback + Mexican West Coast Rattlesnakes, Pancake Tortoise, Jameson's Mamba, Razo Island Skink, Pallas' Cat, Fossa, Vampire/Three-banded Armadillo, Potto (Night Hunters), Fennec Fox, White Tiger, Malayan Tiger, Snow Leopard, Ring-tailed Lemur, Crocodile Monitor, Komodo Dragon, American Alligator/Florida Cooter/Spotted Turtle, American Crocodile, Alligator Snapping Turtle (tank), Florida Manatee + Fish, Infamous Alien Invaders-Manatee Springs-(Azureus Cichlid, Banded Dwarf Cichlid, Green Severum, Oscar Fish, Mozambique Tilapia, Red Devil Cichlid, Red-eyed Piranha), Palmetto Scrub-Manatee Springs-(Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Corn Snake, Yellow Rat Snake, Everglades Rat Snake), Southeast African Lion exhibit, Okapi/Yellow-backed Duiker, Eastern Bongo/Crowned Crane, Flamingo Cove-Rhino Reserve-(Greater Flamingo), Eastern Black Rhinoceros, Mueller's Gibbon, Sumatran Orangutan/Lar Gibbon (indoor and out), Pygmy Slow Loris, Sugar Glider, Black-and-white Ruffed Lemur, Bonobo (both indoor and out), Congo Peafowl, Potto (Jungle Trails-single), Garnett's Galago (Jungle Trails), Eastern Yellow-billed Hornbill/Ruddy Shelduck/Golden-breasted Starling, Aye-Aye/Potto/Grey Bamboo Lemur, South America-Wings of the World-(Blue-crowned Mot-Mot, Boat-billed Heron, Cattle Egret, Elegant Crested Tinamou, Golden Conure, Guira Cuckoo, Mata Mata, Northern-Helmeted Curassow, Opal-rumped Tanager, Paradise Tanager, Red-rumped Cacique, Red Shoveler, Saffron Finch, Scarlet Ibis, Sunbittern, Yellow-rumped Cacique), Australasia-Wings of the World-(Asian Fairy Bluebird, Bali Mynah, Black-collored Fruit Pigeon, Blue-crowned Laughingthrush, Chestnut Teal, Giant Fruit Bat, Guam Rail, Jambu Fruit Dove, Nicobar Pigeon, Ornate Fruit Dove, Rhinoceros Hornbill, Victoria Crowned Pigeon, White-throated Ground Dove), Wetlands-Wings of the World-(Double-crested Cormorant, Northern Red-bellied Cooter, Peninsula Cooter, Ruddy Duck, Tri-colored Heron), Arctic Islands-Wings of the World-(Crested Auklet, Harlequin Duck, Hooded Merganser, Least Auklet, Smew, Spectacled Eider, Whiskered Auklet), Arctic Sea Cliffs-Wings of the World-(Common Murre, Harlequin Duck, Horned Puffin, Pigeon Guillemot, Spectacled Eider), Lorikeet Landing (Black-capped Lory, Cape-barren Goose, Green-naped Lorikeet, Magpie Goose, Nicobar Pigeon, Pied-Imperial Pigeon, Olive-headed Lorikeet, Ornate Lorikeet, Rainbow Lorikeet Ruddy Shelduck, Speckled Pigeon, North American River Otter, Mexican Wolf, African Penguin, Green Anole, Little Penguin, Pink-backed Pelican/Saddle-billed Stork, Radiated/Red-footed/Gopher Tortoise, Masai Giraffe/Crowned Crane, Greater Flamingo (Giraffe Ridge), Both Red Panda, Butterfly Rainforest-World of the Insect-(African-helmeted Turtle, African Pygmy Goose, Jambu Fruit Dove, Spangled Cotinga, West Peruvian Dove, White-naped Pheasant Pigeon, Golden-headed Manakin, Blue Ground Dove, Passion Flower Butterfly), Naked Mole Rat, Black Tree Monitor, Rough Green Snake, Dyeing Poison Dart Frog.

More Good Than Bad:
    Angolan Python, Aruba Island Rattlesnake, Red River Hog, Sichuan Takin, Dumeril's Ground Boa, Terciopelo, Brazil's Lancehead, Yucatan Neotropical Rattlesnake, Razo Island Skink, Puff Adder, Rainbow Boa, King Cobra, Everglades Rat Snake, Black Milk Snake, Ornate Monitor, Western Lowland Gorilla, Eastern Black-and-white Colobus, Grey's Crowned Guenon, Green Tree Monitor, Quince Monitor, Knight Anole, Timber Rattlesnake, Salt Marsh Water Snake, Loggerhead Musk Turtle, Eastern Gulf Waterdog/Western Mosquitofish, Both Indian Rhino exhibits, Grevy's Zebra, Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rat, Barred Owl, Lion-tailed Macaque/Francois Langur (both indoor and outdoor), Large-spotted Genet, Diana Monkey, Polar Bear, Scarlet Macaw/Blue and gold Macaw/Crested Screamer, Raggiana Bird-of-paradise, Montane-Wings of the World-(Thick-billed Parrot, Masked bobwhite Quail), Grasslands-Wings of the World-(Black-winged Red Bishop, Blue-naped Mousebird, Buff-crested Bustard, Golden-breasted Starling, Four-banded Sandgrouse, Violet-backed Starling, Yellow Bishop), Feather-tail Glider, Sub-antarctic Coast-Wings of the World-(Black-faced Ibis, Chiloe Wigeon, King Penguin, Imperial Shag, Inca Tern, Magellanic Penguin, Southern Rockhopper Penguin), California Sea Lion, Grey Fox, Southern Three-banded Armadillo (children's zoo), Petting Zoo/Blakely's Barnyard-Children's Zoo, Clouded Leopard, Banded Palm Civet, Ocelot, Bearcat, Tayra, Bat-eared Fox, Fishing Cat, Nursery-Children's Zoo-(Bennett's + Parma Wallaby, Domestic Dog, Bearcat), Siamang, Buff-cheeked Gibbon, Both Indian Elephant exhibits, Cockatoo Island-(Rotate: Salmon-crested + Major Mitchell's), Monkey Island (Japanese Macaque), Emperor Tamarin, Ornate horned Frog, Linne's Two-toed Sloth.

More Bad Than Good:
    Eurasian Eagle Owl, Przewalski's Horse, Grey's Crowned Guenon, Cockatoo Island-(Rotate: Salmon-crested + Major Mitchell's), Black Rat Snake, Nelson's Milk Snake, Caracal, Bobcat, Southern Copperhead, Dumeril's Ground Boa (Jungle Trails), Laughing Kookaburra, Bourke's Parakeet, Gouldian Finch/Scarlet-chested Parrot, Boa Constrictor, Red-tailed Hawk.

Bad:
    Burmese Python, Chinese Alligator/Red-eared Slider/Florida + Alligator Snapping Turtle, Blue-breasted Kingfisher, American Black Bear, Andean Bear.

17. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

Yes, it may have all those things that you say but the main key in a successful exhibit is space. I'm sure the gorillas do play fight for food and climb on a big tree, but that just doesn't elude that fact that there accessible exhibit space is not up-to-par with many other zoos that have decided to enhance their enclosures.

18. cleusk

cleusk Well-Known Member

Although they are very common, does Discovery Forest have any blooming idiots?

19. Moebelle

I can't tell if you talking about a plant or the British term for 'to a great degree'?

20. Moebelle

I hope you don't mind me posting this here but I came up with a list of the ranking of all the exhibits. The percentages are my habitat approval ratings.

1. Africa-100%
    2. Cat Canyon-100%
    3. Manatee Springs-94%
    4. Jungle Trails-95%
    5. World of the Insect 100%
    6. Elephant Reserve-100%
    7. Rhino Reserve-100%
    8. Gorilla World-33%
    9. Wildlife Canyon-85%
    10. Eagle Eyrie-100%
    11. Wings of the World-73%
    13. Gibbon Islands-100%
    20. Red Pandas-100%
    12. Sea Lions + Wolf Woods-100%
    14. Dragons!-100%
    15. Lemur Lookout-100%
    16. Children's Zoo-100%
    17. Discovery Forest-67%
    18. Lords of the Arctic-100%
    19. Reptile House + Cockatoo-80%
    22. Night Hunters-65%
    21. Monkey Island-75%
    23. Bear Hill-50%

The winner goes to Africa because when it will be complete I believe there won't be one problem to it. So far together the giraffe, flamingo, lion, and cheetah exhibits are superb.