Join our zoo community

Welsh Mountain Zoo My Visit 08 08 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by adrian1963, 10 Aug 2015.

1. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

This was my first visit to the collection and was a little confused to find the car park was basically in the middle of the zoo.

This was a very pleasant surprise for me a great little collection in a beautiful setting the views from the zoo outwards are outstanding.

On to the zoo itself now I found it a bit of hard work once we were away from the main zoo itself but did enjoy the walks through the wooded areas to find some of the exhibits great to see Red Squirrels actually running around and looking like they were really enjoying it too.

Nice to see a collection with Red Legged Partridge as a species again very active with the Red Squirrels, also along the same path was the pair of White tailed sea eagles a very interesting bird to have in a non-birds of prey centre type collection.

On to the aviaries now the waterfowl collection had a few species that had no signage around the exhibit to say they were in the area will list some of the species at the collection that is not in the zootierliste web site guide for the collection.

The aviary close to the car park looked great for an old aviary design and was pleasantly filled with Amazon’s and Black crowned night herons (a pair were very visible but no signage again).

The aviary next to the Brown bears was very active with both sub species of weaver showing well and again species with no signage for this time a pigeon/dove (in the Welsh Mountain Zoo Gallery)

Walking with Lemurs was a little bit of a let-down as I thought it was going to be a walk through and not a viewing platform but did have great views of the Red Fronted Lemurs and of course the run of the mill Ring Tailed Lemurs.

Now for the species I went to see the Brown Bears came out on my third visit to their exhibit this was only because they were being fed this was around 14.15pm they appeared to be very agile and really looked healthy and fit, next port of call was for the Margay again after more than one return I think around five times I returned and finally got to see the pair only for around five minutes but at least I saw them many on the trip didn’t see them.

The Andean Condor looked beautiful with some great close up views sitting/lying right next to the fence and then a little later sitting/standing on the perch out in the open for some great photographs/dvd coverage.

Along with the Condor was some of my favourite species of birds Ibis’s today we were sitting there watching Black Faced Ibis and Cattle Egret just before we moved off the Azara’s Agouti pair showed well walking around the enclosure until they came close to the Ibis were they met a little aggressive behaviour.

Loved the Alligators in the small house both species were showing really well and then onto the Reptile house another great small collection with some very interesting species of Tortoise/Turtles would say the path through is slightly narrow but well worth a walk through.

Just a quick word about some of the paths if you are a little unste0dy on your feet be very careful of the wooded area walk rounds as they can be a little hard work but other that I found this to be a great place to visit with some very interesting species around.

Will be making this a regular once a year visit from now on will be uploading a species seen list a bit later and also indicating which species had no signage visible.

Could you please visit the Welsh Mountain Zoo Gallery and help ID a few species I couldn't get info on many thanks for reading my little ditty.

2. adrian1963

Here is a list of species seen by myself while on my visit on the 08th August 2015.

Please note if any species have been duplicated then it's due to the signage around the collection and please let me know.

Also the species with * after their names are the one that are currently not on the zootierliste index for the Welsh Mountain Zoo

Hope this helps people thinking about going to this great small collection -

AMERICAN ALLIGATOR
    ANDEAN CONDOR
    ASIAN OR ORIENTAL SHORT CLAWED OTTER
    AVOCET
    AZARA’S AGOUTI
    BACTRAIN CAMEL
    BEARDED EMPORER TAMARIN
    BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON*
    BLACK FACED IBIS
    BLACK HEADED (VILLAGE) WEAVER
    BLACK LEGGED DART FROG
    BLUE FRONTED AMAZON
    BLUE YELLOW OR GOLD MACAW
    BROWN BEAR
    BURMESE ROCK PYTHON
    CATTLE EGRET*
    CHILEAN FLAMINGO
    CHIMPANZEE
    COMMON BOA
    COMMON BULBUL
    COMMON WHITE EYE
    COTTON TOP TAMARIN
    CUBAN KNIGHT ANOLE
    DYEING POISON FROG*
    EASTERN BOX TURTLE
    EMU
    FALLOW DEER
    HERRING GULL
    INLAND BEARDED DRAGON
    JUNGLE (CHINESE) MYNAH
    LARS WHITE HANDED GIBBON
    LAYSAN TEAL
    LEOPARD TORTOISE
    MALLARD
    MARGAY
    MEERKAT
    MEXICAN GREEN MILITARY MACAW
    MISSISSIPPI ALLIGATOR
    MOTTLED WEAVER
    NORTHERN SHELDUCK*
    ORANGE WINGED AMAZON
    PHANTASMAL DART FROG*
    PRZEWALSKI HORSE
    RAVEN
    RED BILLED QUELEA
    RED CRESTED POCHARD
    RED EARED TERRAPIN
    RED FACED BLACK SPIDER MONKEY
    RED FOOTED TORTOISE
    RED FRONTED BROWN LEMUR
    RED FRONTED MACAW
    RED LEGGED PARTRIDGE
    NEPAL RED PANDA
    RED SQUIRREL
    RED TURTLE DOVE
    RING TAILED LEMUR
    RINGED TEAL*
    ROSEATTE COCKATOO
    SEAL
    SHARP WINGED TEAL*
    SNAPPING TURTLE
    SNOW LEOPARD
    SOUTH EAST ASAIN BOX TURTLE
    SPECKLED PIGEON*
    STRAITED MOUSEBIRD*
    SUMATRAN TIGER
    SUPERB SPREO STARLING
    THREE TOED BOX TURTLE
    VILLAGE (RUFOUS NECKED) WEAVER
    WELSH MOUNTAIN GOAT
    WHITE TAILED SEA EAGLE
    YELLOW FRONTED AMAZON*
    YELLOW MARGINED TURTLE
    GREATER RHEA
    RED NECKED WALLABY

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

@ Adrian1963 where the Herring Gulls in an Aviary or the Hospital,because if they weren't they will have been wild and not captive!

Also American and Mississippi Alligator are the same species!

4. adrian1963

Many thanks on the info of the Alligators and yes the Gulls were wild shouldn't have been on the list but on the wild species seen list.

I did wonder on the Alligators but one was very impressive in size and the other was rather much smaller.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Thats because the large one is a Bull called Albert and the smaller one is the cow called Nancy.Albert used to be at Cotswold Wildlife Park,until he moved to WMZ to be paired up with Nancy.This pair is 1 of only 2 breeding pairs in the UK and both Bulls are called Albert!

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

And both bulls are pretty impressive buggers, too :)

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If that were true there wouldn't be much point in pairing them with females; indeed, in these enlightened times, they could be kept together.

Alan