Join our zoo community

My Zoo Concept

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Sphenisciologist, 28 Jun 2022.

1. Sphenisciologist

Sphenisciologist Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone! This thread is gonna be where I post my zoo concept that I would like to accomplish at some point. I don’t know how successful it would be, but this thread is going to be an in depth catalog to everything for my zoo concept, including exhibits, job positions, animal species, and more! Feel free to leave me suggestions and ideas!

Firstly, a brief overview. We are starting out small, with only ten animal species. Some of these animals are very endangered with other ones of them being common. But I’m not revealing the species in this overview. That’s just a quick little summary of what you can expect!

Austin the Sengi and Haliaeetus like this.
  2. Sphenisciologist

Khalil’s Zoological Institute

Some general information:
    - The zoo covers 29 acres of land in total.
    - The zoo is located in a small town in the state of Michigan in the United States of America.
    - External focuses aside from animal conservation include habitat restoration and horticultural work, and many areas in the zoo that are not inhabited by animals or exhibits will be home to gardens and many types of botanical life for native species.
    - One thing that I want to focus on is a good balance between public quality and conservation. As a passionate animal lover, these both matter to me. I want guests to be satisfied with their experience as a zoo visitor but I also deeply care about the well being of all the animal species, one of the main reasons why our zoo is small community. So, throughout this journey, one question that may arise is, should we say conservation over consumers or consumers over conservation? I think I already know it’s the first one, but let’s see how it goes throughout my planning.
    - Zoo admission for people over 18 is $8, kids under 18 is $5 and below the age of 4 is free. The main reason admission isn’t free is because my zoo is more so designed to be a local conservation community. We simply wouldn’t have the money to be able to make admission penniless.
    - The zoo currently has a total staff of 178 employees.
    More details about employment opportunities will be provided in the near future.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2022
  3. Sphenisciologist

Outside The Zoo Walls

- The zoo has one public parking lot. This parking lot will be parallel to the zoo’s main entrance. The end of the parking lot has several concrete pathways that pass through lush gardens, thanks again to the horticultural work. If you aren’t sure where the entrance is, you can find signs pointing you where to go. The parking lot is around 500 feet away from the main entrance . However, finding the entrance shouldn’t be too bad of a problem. On busy days, employees can use the private employee entrance to get away from the crowds on the way to work. Along with this is a private employee shuttle, which will take employees from the private employee parking lot across the highway to the zoo through a private road.

Austin the Sengi and OkapiFan like this.
  4. Sphenisciologist

Main Entrance Building

- As guests enter the zoo, right above their head will be an introduction to the facility they are visiting, with the zoos logo and name on top of the building. For my zoo, I want to go with a historic city feel, so the architecture for my building is Spanish Colonial style. However, some buildings use many different styles of architecture from around the world, such as Arabia and Africa, however, we keep it extremely important to recognize the cultural value and pay respects to all of them that are used.
    - Before guests can actually proceed to admission, they must go through a security process. With several guards on duty, they go through your bags to make sure you do not have anything that may provoke violence on you. I want to prioritize safety and comfort at my zoo at all times.
    - The first thing you will see when you walk through the sliding doors is the Welcome Desk. Here, you will purchase access to admission, and other accommodations such as memberships, retail necessities, such as wheelchairs or walking sticks, directions and accessibility for hiring positions. You can also find a Lost & Found station, a large list of donators on the wall and zoo maps. The Welcome Desk is not a small area, it is a large and long desk with multiple different lines depending on a visitors desire, and so lines are not incredibly long. Like said earlier:
    - 18 or older: $8
    - Under 18: $5
    - 4 or below: free
    If you are under the age of 11, you need to have at least one person above the age of 18 stay with you during your entire trip.
    - Diagonal from the Welcome Desk is the Human Resources Office. The name is mostly self-explanatory, but they screen, interview and hire potential zoo employees. This office includes desks for the managers of Human Resources, and in the back of this office area, you can find three separate rooms, designed as lounge rooms with intent to be interviewing areas.
    - Once you walk past the Welcome Desk, you may find yourself in a sort of mall-style plaza. Firstly, there is the Zoo Khafe, one of the few exclusive restaurants here at the zoo. This restaurant includes an expansive range for seating, a large window for ordering with three separate cash registers, and a beautiful mural on top of the cafe representing the Indian savanna in vintage style painting of animals such as elephants, tigers, mongooses, buffalo, blackbucks and more.
    - The Zoo Khafe isn’t the only great part about this entrance building. You can also find the Savanna Shop. Like most zoo gift shops, here you can find souvenir items, gifts, candy and other sugary sweets, accessories, bottled drinks, plushies and toys. The cashiers are in a circular style with a large pillar in the middle. This pillar is covered in fake vines. The floor or the gift shop has animal footprints of some mysterious type of bird, can you figure out what it is? :p
    - Like any attraction ever, the zoo does have Restrooms right next to the Savanna Shop. There is a men’s restroom, a woman’s restroom and finally, a restroom for gender-neutral aligning people or anyone who doesn’t feel comfortable in the men’s or woman’s restroom.
    - There is a stairwell next to the doors that take you to the rest of the zoo. This is the downstairs area where people will find other places such as the Education Center, Classrooms, Employee Center, extra restrooms and a Miniature Amphitheatre which is currently not open to the public. This is more so used as a paperwork area for employees to prepare for hiring, or other events that require more space.
    - Once you pass all the introductory accommodations and you walk pass the stairway, you have found yourself to roam free in the rest of the zoo.

5. Sphenisciologist

Penguin Museum

Open: All season (March-September) and off season (October-February).
    Week Schedule:
    Monday - 9:00-5:00
    Tuesday - 9:00-5:00
    Wednesday - 9:00-5:00
    Thursday - 9:00-5:00
    Friday - 9:00-5:00
    Saturday - 9:00-7:00
    Sunday - 9:00-7:00

Amount of Species: 1
    Size: 4 acres

- The Penguin Museum, inspired by the Polk Penguin Conservation Center at the Detroit Zoo, with several other featured animals, is one of the zoos main attractions. The building is surrounded by gardens with native plant and animal species. Unlike the Main Entrance Building, the Penguin Museum has much more modern architecture due to its requirements for penguins and ability to keep them in as natural as a habitat as possible. The building has a very large and funky shape, and you can think of it as representations of icebergs. As you enter the building, you are greeted with a large walkway. You have entered what is known as the Penguin Hall of Fame.
    - In the Penguin Hall of Fame, you can find information about all eighteen existing species of penguins, along with large paintings above each information stand. However, we haven’t even gotten to the best part yet!
    - Next, you will find an underwater tunnel viewing for our penguin species. The exhibit itself takes up a huge majority of the building, and the underwater tunnel is almost like a preview.
    - As you walk through the expansive tunnel, a staircase will take you to the top floor, also aligning with the land viewing for the Chinstrap Penguin (Pygoscelis antarcticus). Their exhibit alone is around 3.6 acres in total. In order to provide the most natural exhibit possible, deep analysis and research is required. Based on habitat, geographical location and environmental preferences, we designed a penguin habitat featuring ice, snow, coastal rocks, accurate air temperature and natural underwater range. Although the pathways and visitor viewing may be warm, the exhibits can get to as low as -4 degrees fahrenheit, or -20 degrees celsius. The zoo is home to 5 male chinstrap penguins and 10 female chinstrap penguins. During the fishing season, males and females may alternate between the off-display habitat to provide a more realistic approach to how chinstrap penguins live outside of zoos and aquariums. Along with viewing, here is where you can learn in depth information about chinstrap penguins, including their predators, habitat, range, diet, threats and conservation efforts. Finally, there is one last viewing for the penguins before you make your exit from the exhibit.
    - Zoo guidelines and requirements for animals will be posted in the near future.

Haliaeetus, OkapiFan and Platypusboy like this.
  6. Sphenisciologist

African Flight Cage

Open: All season (March-September) and off season (October-February).
    Week Schedule:
    Saturday - 9:00-7:00
    Sunday - 9:00-7:00
    Amount of Species: 2
    Size: 1 acre, not including off-display habitats.

- The African Flight Cage is the smallest exhibit in the zoo. This exhibit features two bird species that are actually more closely related than an average zoo visitor might think. This exhibit is another walkthrough-themed exhibit. In fact, most of my zoo is walkthrough, with few areas of over-viewing. Although this exhibit is a flight cage, our two species are separated due to possibility of unwanted aggression from several cases in the past, and they are not able to interact with the people, only look at them. So, technically, this exhibit is split into two.
    - The first of our species is a breeding pair of the Hartlaub’s Turaco (Tauraco hartlaubi).
    - Our other species is also a breeding pair of a very similar relative, known as the White-bellied Go-away Bird (Corythaixoides leucogaster).
    - The bird exhibits are designed as forest canopies in central and eastern Africa.
    - Zoo guidelines and requirements for animals will be posted in the near future.

7. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

It could be interesting to have 3 or 4 additionnal penguin species in such an exhibit (that would be expensive as every Antarctic penguin exhibit) : for example Adélie, Gentoo, King and one Rockhopper species.

8. Sphenisciologist

I think that would be good for a future project!

I think if I were to add any of those species, it would be gentoos. However, chinstraps are known for being an aggressive species, and I’m not sure what species they have been mixed with in other zoos.

I know they have been mixed with gentoos, kings and maybe even rockhoppers, since those ones are easier to manage in captivity, but I think for a local, small zoo, one less common species in captivity might be better than a few common ones, considering local value and revenue.

I think it’s a great idea! :)

As for Adelies, I feel that their captive requirements are too hard to meet for a brand new zoo, but it’s good speculation.

Austin the Sengi and Haliaeetus like this.
  9. Sphenisciologist

Colombian Boardwalk

Open: All season (March-September)
    Week Schedule:
    Saturday - 9:00-5:00
    Sunday - 9:00-5:00
    Amount of Species: 4

Size: Around 5 acres, not including off-display habitats.

- This next exhibit gets its name due to its prominent representation of South American species that are aquatic, semi-aquatic and also land-based. This exhibit moves in a W shape, starting with one of the most fascinating animals on the planet with a reputation for being slow.
    - The first animal we will see on our marsh journey is the
    Hoffmann’s Two-toed Sloth (Choloepus hoffmanni). Virtually all animal enclosures in this exhibit have very similar design, areas of land pasture are available but it’s mostly marshes with over-hanging canopies above the water. Our Hoffmann’s Two-toed sloths are a breeding pair.
    (Fact: I actually originally planned to use Pygmy Three-toed Sloths instead of Two-toed sloths, but I changed it to the Hoffmann’s because I realized how unrealistic that would be, since they are native to a small island near Ecuador and critically endangered, and also very hard to manage in captivity).
    - Next, we will find a similar looking habitat home to three of the Sunbittern (Eurypyga helias). One of our sunbitterns is male, and the other two are females.
    - Lastly, we have two separate exhibits for different animals. There is a pond region for 13 of the Suckermouth Catfish (Hypostomus plecostomus) and a smaller exhibit for some of the Spiny Lobster (Palinurus elephas). I struggled to find a common name for that exact species, so that is the one I went for.
    - I also think it’s worth noting now that I will start working on a map for the zoo, just to help others and myself get a good idea of what to visualize.

10. Sphenisciologist

Indian Reserve

Open: All season (March-September)
    Week Schedule:
    Saturday - 9:00-5:00
    Sunday - 9:00-5:00
    Amount of Species: 3
    Size: A whopping 9 acres in total, not including off-display animal habitats.

- Welcome to the Indian Reserve! This, along with the penguin museum, is a highlight, and you will see why. The reserve is split into three separate areas, two of them are walkthrough exhibits, and the other one is more of an overview look. There is a dark-themed cave/lush jungle creek exhibit inspired by the forest floor, an aviary and an open-field sanctuary.
    - When you first walk through, you may find the greeting of an Indian leopard model unpleasant, but it’s actually just hiding from the Bengal tiger, a much stronger predator. A little advice, just don’t look above you.
    - Now, the next exhibit cuts through a cave, and you may notice an animal lurking in the canopies of this exhibit. Our first animal is the Insular Flying Fox (Pteropus tonganus). Now, this species of flying fox isn’t actually found in India at all, only nearby islands. So, you could consider this to be a preview of what you are gonna see next.
    - Now, we make our way into a sanctuary overview, which expansive grass fields, bushes, woodland, rivers and more natural exhibiting for an Indian savanna. Here, you can find the Indian Rhinoceros (Rhinoceros unicornis). The zoo is actually home to three rhinos, but on display will only be the mother and her calf. The male is kept in an off-display habitat. Near the habitat, you will also find the Rhino Gazebo, a gazebo inspired by Indian architecture, respectfully. This gazebo will help teach guests about the preservation of rhinos around the world, in both Africa and Asia. Usually, one of the workers for the rhinos will be at this stand, but also volunteers.
    - Finally, as you exit the sanctuary overlook, you will find a small sight of a nest of some sort. But watch out, it looks like there is a king cobra in the bushes nearby! (Don’t worry, they aren’t real).
    - The last exhibit is an aviary home to a breeding pair of the endangered Milky Stork (Mycteria cinerea). This species is found in neighboring countries of India, such as Cambodia. Their home is very similarly designed as those back at the Colombian boardwalk. Marshes and wetlands with tropical greenery and temperatures.

11. Sphenisciologist

Extra Attractions + Food & Drink

- With a zoo, you have to have external factors and accommodates to guests. This will be a quick dive-in to the extra attractions, shops and food restaurants we have at the zoo.
    - Rhino Railway: The Rhino Railway is a small train that drives through the sanctuary with the Indian rhinos. It is separated off so that the rhinos can’t go near the train (you’ll see on the map), but it does offer a much closer viewing than the overview. It does go through many areas of the zoo, not just the rhinos though!
    - Penguin Experience: Do you wanna get up close with a penguin? You can now. The penguin experience gives guests an ability to talk with a penguin keeper about how to work with chinstrap penguins and what is needed to be done on a daily basis.

- Food is another important thing. There are three food restaurants at the zoo. One in the main entrance, another main food stop in the center plaza, and more of a snack restaurant in the plaza as well.
    - Zoo Khafe: Sit-down type restaurant with food meals such as grilled cheeses and flatbreads, salads, snacks like soft pretzels, cold drinks and more.
    - Darwin’s Dining: Dining restaurant with sit-down meals, snacks, food, drinks and more, very similar to Zoo Khafe.
    - Milky Snack Shop: Find all kinds of snacks and ice creams such as Dippin’ Dots, soft serve, novelties, ICEE, pretzels and popcorn.

TheGerenuk and Austin the Sengi like this.
  12. Sphenisciologist

Species List - Requirements Coming Soon

Chinstrap Penguin
    Hartlaub’s Turaco
    Hoffmann’s Two-toed Sloth
    Indian Rhinoceros
    Insular Flying Fox
    Milky Stork
    Spiny Lobster
    Suckermouth Catfish
    Sunbittern
    White-bellied Go-away Bird

Quick refresher for me after all that typing, haha!
    Next: Map and Captive Requirements

13. Sphenisciologist

Map Blueprint #1

Early blueprint is attached!
    Please note that this is still an early copy, and change is expected.
    Some buildings or locations you may see I haven’t talked about yet.

Attached Files:

14. Haliaeetus

How did you have selected the species, please?
    There are common animals as well as very rare species.

Sphenisciologist likes this.
  15. Haliaeetus

The Indian Rhinos should go very well with Blackbuck, Axis Deer or rarer species.
    I would add some birds like Sarus Cranes, Indian Peafowl or/and Bar-headed Geese.

16. Haliaeetus

I don't understand the place of Palinurus elephas in a Colombian zone, as this crustacean lives only in North-Eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean.
    A Southern American species of lobster, shrimp or crab would be better.

Sphenisciologist likes this.
  17. Sphenisciologist

That’s a good point, I may alternate it to be a south american species of lobster now that you say it.

If i’m going to be totally honest, I didn’t think about it when I made the exhibit! I will get on that. Thanks!

- GP

18. Sphenisciologist

Updated Species List

Palinurus elephas has been removed.
    Instead, I will be using the Guinea Chick Lobster (Panulirus guttatus) to match the theme of the Colombian Boardwalk more accurately.
    Thank you @Haliaeetus for calling me out on my mistake.

Chinstrap Penguin
    Guinea Chick Lobster
    Hartlaub’s Turaco
    Hoffmann’s Two-toed Sloth
    Indian Rhinoceros
    Insular Flying Fox
    Milky Stork
    Suckermouth Catfish
    Sunbittern
    White-bellied Go-away Bird

Haliaeetus likes this.
  19. Sphenisciologist

Great question!

I used a custom number generator I made while also balancing out the rarity of the animals. I didn’t want to go overboard with endangered species, but using only common species isn’t nearly as interesting, and I wanted it to be as diverse as possible while also allowing me to make exhibits with the animals I had selected.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  20. Sphenisciologist

Honestly I think I’ll consider this.

I wasn’t planning on adding new species this early but I’ll keep it in mind!
    And Indian rhinos are definitely less aggressive than their African counterparts so it might be a safer option to mix them with a bird of some sort.

Haliaeetus likes this.