Join our zoo community

My zoo list

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Simon Hampel, 19 Oct 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Absolutely they count as far as I can see - as collections of captive animal life can't see any logical way of excluding them.

I very highly recommend both Antwerp and Planckendael. If pushed for time, Antwerp is a more diverse collection with a far greater sense of history about it. Planckendael is more 'modern', but has limited numbers of non-mammals. Both are excellent though. It depends a bit on what transport you have as well - Antwerp is much easier by train than car, Planckendael is quite possible by train (that's how I got there!) but probably easier by car.

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I don't know if it was just a one off, or whether it's always like this on busy days, but I got stuck in a horrendous traffic jam trying to get out of the car park last month - over an hour just to make it to the exit. It was nearly enough to spoil a visit to a superb zoo, and certainly something to be wary of... park near the car park exit; leave before the closing time rush.... or go by public transport.

3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I spent a few days in Belgium last week, staying in Brussels (as it is convenient for travelling to / from London by Eurostar).

Yes, it is easy to travel to both Antwerp Zoo and Planckendael Zoo by train from Brussels; Parc Paradiso, too, is easy to reach by public transport. All three collections are well worth visiting. At the railway station, ask for a combined train ticket / zoo admission; this works out very much cheaper than paying the train fare and zoo entrance separately.

Since you’re staying in Brussels, I recommend visiting the Natural History Museum there too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.