Join our zoo community

Taman Safari Bogor Nala the liger

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Salt Merchant, 18 Nov 2020.

1. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

From 2013 to 2018, Taman Safari Bogor keep a liger (Panthera leo x Panthera tigris) named Nala. He was discovered by the authority in a fancy villa in Bogor, it is suspected that Nala was a result of an illegal breeding program carried out by the exotic animals syndicate. Nala's mother was a lion and father was a tiger. They later send Nala to Taman Safari Bogor. When they raided the villa, they also found other animals such as three Java peafowl (Pavo muticus muticus), one langur (Trachypithecus sp.), two silvery gibbon (Hylobates moloch), siamang (Symphalangus syndactylus), four Javan rusa (Rusa timorensis), and one Sumatran tiger (Panthera tigris sondaica), this animals are also sent to the zoo.

Unlike Cai Tao and Hu Chun, TSI never published any information on their social media about their liger. Nala was first used as a photo prob, later they decided to create a India themed exhibit at the Baby Zoo for Nala. Nala is a big male liger and weigh around 700 to 800 pounds.

There is no information whether or not Nala died or put off display. Nala is currently the only liger known in Indonesia. Nala's exhibit now houses a male white lion (Panthera leo melanochaita) named Link, alongside other white lions, delivered from Canada in 2018.

Source:
    1. Liger, Anak Harimau-Singa Ditemukan di Bogor
    2. You searched for liger - Joel Sartore
    3. Taman Safari Zoo Liger in Indonesia

Fargusno likes this.
  2. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

I'm suspecting that people like Hendrico Adrian might be working with those shady exotic animal breeders. Unlike Alshad Ahmad, he only kept exotic animals for fun, not for conservation purposes.

Also, last time I saw Nala was on 2013. I think I've already sent a photo of me and Nala on IG, but just sayin'. He was a fine male and he had some manes on his neck. Sadly, Nala cannot reproduce since ligers are fertile.

Also, the white lions in TSI are Panthera leo krugeri, just like in FL Ancol.

Salt Merchant likes this.