Join our zoo community

Flamingo Land Names and Numbers

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bubbles, 28 Sep 2010.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Well-Known Member

I'm also off to Flamingo Land tomorrow! I'm sure I'll be remembering the good ol' days as well. I doubt they're doing anything special for the day though.

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Make sure theirs some Sumatran Tiger photos!:D

3. Elephant Bill

Elephant Bill Member

Ah well...Let me know what it's like as I was thinking of taking the family down for a holiday (I haven't been for nearly 40 years) in July. I wonder if it is as much a zoo as it was in the early 70s, or is it mainly a fairground now?--that's the impression I get. Also, if there is anywhere reasonably priced for three to stay in Pickering area I would like to know!

4. Bubbles

Well, we went to visit Flamingo Land today, but it was £27 EACH!:eek: Not good if you don't go on any of the rides, which take up half the Zoo, so not value for money in our case. :mad:

Did you know that Flamingo Land has it's own accommodation? Log cabins and holiday homes. Info here

...or try for accommodation here

5. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I got a photograph of one of the Sumatrans, but I still have not learned how to post photographs although I am thinking of giving it a whirl. Apparently the Sumatran Tigers are not mixing well at the moment so are alternating in the outdoor area.

6. Bubbles

Which part of the process are you having to learn to post photographs?

7. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Not good news at all! do you know if theres any plans to move the Siberian females to allow space for Surya or Bawa?

8. Parrotsandrew

All of it! I have not got a clue. The first step will be to get some photographs on to my computer. Although I am now digital I just take my cards to a certain high street store to be printed out like I did with films. In fact I took my 50th anniversary ones in during my lunch hour today (I'm hoping the ones I did of myself under the Flamingo Park wrought iron arch will be okay - I was technological enough to use the self-timer for the first time).

9. Parrotsandrew

I do not know of any plans to move the Siberians. They are quite elderly now of course and to the best of my knowledge they will live out their retirement at Flamingo Land unless things have changed since last year when I last had a conversation about them. I may be soft-hearted, but I always think if an animal has served a zoo well it has earned the right to remain in its home for the rest of its days.

10. Bubbles

I put my card in a small card reader like this [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-USB-Single-Slot-Reader/dp/B000VY80AM/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1310226638&sr=1-1"]one[/ame] . It's so easy to transfer your photos to your computer this way and then you can do what you like with them.

11. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Where did this info come from? Every time I have visited they have been together fine, in fact as far as I know they were mixed successfully after just a couple of weeks (last September). Odd that there would be problems now. Could she be pregnant?

12. Parrotsandrew

This is what one of their keepers told me.

13. Parrotsandrew

I've now transferred some photos to my computer from the CD I had done at the shop, but I can't see what to do now! (I'm definitely a computer dunce.) I thought it might be an idea to create an avatar from a picture of me under the "Flamingo Park" sign, but I couldn't manage that either!

14. Bubbles

You now need to sign up to Photobucket and upload copies of your photos and then copy the url code they place underneath your photos. It's dead easy.. honest!;)

15. Bubbles

Try this quick tutorial

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  16. Parrotsandrew

Thank-you Bubbles. I think I may have heard of Photobucket, but then again! This is a very quick visit to the computer, so I'll investigate when I have more time.

17. Parrotsandrew

I have not joined Photobucket, but I have managed to post some photos - after searching all over this site I did the glaringly obvious and clicked on "Gallery"!!! Well I never, just click on "new photo". Mind you I've contrived to duplicate some I thought had not worked, but I don't know how to remove them. I've got some more to post yet. I do notice though that my details here call the photos "posts" so maybe I've done something unusual.

18. Bubbles

Try clicking on 'Tools' above the search box...

19. Parrotsandrew

Thanks Bubbles as per my photo comment. I'm now down as having posted photos, so maybe I didn't do anything too unusual after all.

20. flamingozoo

flamingozoo Member

Hi , i know of Dumbo, Freddy,Gomba(african),Susie and jangoli. Gomba died in 81,susie in 92 and jangoli is at chester zoo.