Join our zoo community

Nanjing Underwater World

Discussion in 'China' started by FunkyGibbon, 22 Jun 2019.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I actually found out about this zoo from @Chlidonias's Penguin thread, and I visited in part because I had never seen Emperor penguins before.

This is, more so than anywhere else I've visited, a zoo of two halves. It's all in one building, with a traditional aquarium set-up downstairs, and then a polar area upstairs.

The aquarium is actually all decent enough. The warning of what was to come upstairs (apart from the map) was the fact that in the jellyfish area live jellyfish were being sold in tiny sealed containers with neon lights as a sort of trinket.

Upstairs the polar area is an absolute travesty. Wolves, huskies and arctic foxes in small glass boxes, a polar bear in a central atrium, two chilled pools for penguins, and then three small tanks for pinnipeds and a larger seal tank. With the exception of the seal tank all of the exhibits upstairs are totally inadequate and I would not recommend anyone visit.

(There are walruses and dolphins on the map, but the pool marked for walruses and seals contained only seals and the dolphin pool seemed to be sealed off altogether).

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member