Join our zoo community

Zoo di Napoli Naples Zoo out of money.....

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Chlidonias, 24 Jan 2013.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Naples Zoo will run out of food in two days | adelaidenow
    Other Naples Zoo threads:
    http://www.zoochat.com/274/zoo-di-napoli-my-review-feb-131825/
    http://www.zoochat.com/274/naples-zoo-122148/

2. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Where is Benjamin Mee when you need him?

3. Bradipo

Bradipo Active Member

Don't know whats going on, and it can be difficult to get accurate info. re anything here, but the zoo is still very much open and no starving animals. Fairly busy yesturday too.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would welcome plans for the San Diego styled new zoo! :)

5. Bradipo

Bradipo Active Member

Me too! But as I understand, the only change is one tiger (to be followed by a 2nd and 1 leopard) are leaving the site. I truly hope for a big change, but I suspect it may be a lot of talk. It also takes a LONG time for anything to happen in Naples, and that's without the protected status of the site, so I won't hold my breath.... but would be delighted to be proven wrong! :)

6. Bradipo

Bradipo Active Member

...also the site is being separated from the adjacent Edenlandia fun park, which aims to make it a more appealing or manageable business opportunity.

7. Kifaru Bwana

I am not sure what you make of Edenlandia as an Italian citizen, but I would rather nuke the place and integrate it into a proper zoo facility (and looking at thy neighbours in good old Torino). I hope Napoli can really make a comeback and do the Napolitano citizens justice in a zoo they may be proud of showing others and/or tourists from abroad.

I have always thought of the notion that is quite strong in Italy that zoos are no good is rather an excuse for not intervening in animal welfare issues the right way (however, I do see the same tendencies in my home country ... where it is quite possible to get large sums - and make no bones about it .. quite justifiably - for cultural heritage .. but as soon as it is subsidized zoos that animal welfare concerns are raised by Councils, yet not the money/funding necessary are made available to implement any of their sometimes unrealistic demands (sometimes justified, but hey ... cash is not what comes through the gates ...).

8. Bradipo

Bradipo Active Member

In my opinion, Edenlandia is in the same state as the zoo, in that it was probably once a great family fun day out, but hasn't changed in 20 years. It looks tired and run-down. I would very much like to see the whole site become a zoo, but there is so little for kids to do here (heightened by the recent lost of the big interactive science museum), that I think it would be better to have both re-developed as two separate attractions. This would hopefully benefit both and give more options for something to do with children. The zoo site is small, but has lots of potential.
    In my opinion, there is a lot of talk, very little action regarding the zoo. and unfortunately, funding has a nasty habit of not making it to its intended destination here.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Bradipo,

Just found out the Olivetti/Trefin Spa boss Francesco Floro Flores has bought up the zoo after judicial review was concluded!!! His advisory team includes Dr. Henning Wiesner, old Hellabrunn Tierpark, Muenchen director and their erstwhile attached vet Julia Grafin Maltzan.

Here is the blog to the story by the man himself: http://denaro.it/blog/2013/05/30/zo...rio-investimenti-per-6-mln-nei-prossimi-anni/

At least there is now a ray of hope. F.F. Flores is a local Napolitano man who believes in the southern Italian tradition and has built up the company with local staff in mind. You would be advised to read some of his blogs and the FB page they have set up. The man has some very thought provoking thoughts on Italia and life in general too. Enjoy!

K.B.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
  10. Bradipo

Bradipo Active Member

Thanks for the link K.B, looks an interesting bit of reading to be getting on with once I have some time. A ray of hope for this place would be great, keeping everything crossed that its not just talk and we see some action. :)

11. Bradipo

Bradipo Active Member

Some notes from a visit yesterday:

2 tigers moved to old off-show carnivore cages (I wonder if this is in preparation for moving?) Resulting in two pairs of the seven tiger cages being joined together, making five cages now, doubling the space for two of the cats. Still not acceptable for this day and age, but a (very) small step in the right direction.

Black swan moved to waterfowl lake (pelican side) and mixed with 3 GW pelicans, 2 cormorant, ruddy shelduck and pond turtles.

Domestic ducks moved to waterfowl lake (Crane side) and mixed with 2 common crane and common shelducks.

Blue crane pair separated, one of the pair now in aviaries behind demoiselle.

Ostrich have 7 eggs split between 2 nests and the white peafowl hen has 1 chick.

There appears to be only 3 lions now, which if true is great, unfortunately nobody about to ask.

No sign of Black vulture in big aviary, sign removed.

Also peeked through a broken window and saw a very intriguing enclosure, complete with tools and the look of recent activity... big pool in a pit-like set-up and a row of small windows opposite a central corridor, posibly a former reptile house???

12. Kifaru Bwana

13. Kifaru Bwana