Join our zoo community

Nashville Zoo Nashville Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BlackRhino, 28 Dec 2008.

1. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

He's breeding bongo like rabbits at Brights. Must be they like the elevation?

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nashville is in a hot streak once again, they announced on Twitter their Top Honors in Exhibit Design Award for Tiger Crossroads from the AZA! Here is their blog about it as well as winning the award as well as their part in the Edward H Bean Award for clouded leopards along with Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium and National Zoo. Lastly also International Conservation Award for their work with cotton top tamarins. Now this zoo is on my top 10 visit for sure :p

Zoo Wins Back-to-Back Exhibit Awards

4. Zoofan15

Jambo, Tafin, Jungle Man and 4 others like this.
  5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I mean no offense, but to me "imported" means she came from another country, not another state within the USA. (For those who did not click the link the new giraffe is from San Diego). When I saw your headline I thought that a giraffe had been imported from a country in Africa to improve the bloodline. Again no offense, just letting you know how some of us might read that wording, even though technically "imported" might be correct usage for interstate transfers.

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I had the same confusion as @Arizona Docent a while back, but never brought it up because I stopped seeing it until now. "Imported" is not the word we use for bringing animals or anything else across US state lines (at least in my reading and experience), but given that @Zoofan15 isn't from the US I think it's just a misunderstanding/regional difference in terms. Helpful tidbit from your American forum fellows :)

Arizona Docent likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

Interesting, in New Zealand it's freely used for anything incoming; but I accept this must be a cultural variation. In the future I will amend imported to acquired or received so as not to get anyone's hope's up something had been imported from Africa etc. (an exciting proposition indeed if your bloodlines even a fraction as limited as our regional giraffe population is). Thank you for the feedback. :cool:

Jambo, Zorro, Tafin and 4 others like this.
  8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for understanding and not taking offense. A term typically used in this kind of situation would be transferred.

Zorro, Zoofan15 and StoppableSan like this.
  9. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Obviously everything has to be imported into New Zealand. Can't truck things in from another state.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Zoofan15

11. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently the zoo aquired 5 young (3-6 months) greater flamingo's from Cincinnati which can be found together with the Caribbean flamingo's in Flamingo Lagoon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH0fPvTHF2X/

TinoPup likes this.
  12. Zoofan15

13. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. BigNate

I'm hoping to be able to visit the zoo in the next couple of weeks, so I've been researching the zoo for a bit now. Anyways, I've been having trouble finding details about the zoo's plans for future exhibits. According to their website, Future Plans, it says they're next plans are phases 2 and 3 of an African expansion, each featuring an impressive species list.

But I haven't been able to find any additional information other that what is already on the site mentioned above. Does anyone know, or know where I can find, any more details, such as when each phase is expected to be finished and where in the park they'll be located? Thanks in advance.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Have you seen the Master Plan? It shows location and I believe these have not changed.
    Nashville Zoo Map - Nashville Zoo TN • mappery

I suspect that phasing depends on funding and 2020/21 has not been a great time for any public institution's fiances

Last edited: 24 Feb 2021
    ThylacineAlive likes this.
  17. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please have elephants return, please have elephants return, please have elephants return, please have elephants return...

18. BigNate

Thank you for this, I hadn't seen it. It says this map is from June 2003, do you know how closely they've kept to it?

19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As far as I know the zoo plans to bring them back someday.... They didn't want to send them off in the first place.

~Thylo

20. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

The Nashville Zoo has two new babirusas on exhibit! Dobby, a two-year-old male, and Tinsel, a three-year-old female. They can be found in the old duiker exhibit across from the red-ruffed lemur.