Join our zoo community

Nashville Zoo Nashville Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BlackRhino, 28 Dec 2008.

1. BlackRhino

BlackRhino Well-Known Member

Has anyone here been to the Nashville Zoo recently?

I have heard they have one of the best elephant habitats in the country (3 acres and its very grassy) and that they also have good exhibits for Clouded Leopard and Red Panda. I know that in a few years they are opening a new South American exhibit with tapirs, jaguars, and more. It sounds like a great zoo that is new and continues to grow.

2. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

The zoo is extremely new zoo wise as it opened 1997

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I didn't know it opened in 1997! Did Nashville have a zoo before this one opened?

4. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Yes. The current property known as Grassmere was donated to the Cumberland Science Museum in 1985. The Museum sold some of the property and used the funds to open a Wildlife Park focusing on native Tennessee wildlife in 1990. At about the same time a small privately owned and managed zoo opened in a nearby town called Joelton. The Grassmere Wildlife Park closed due to poor attendance and the managers of the Nashville Zoo in Joelton were approached by the city of Nashville to move its collection to the Grassmere site (which was larger and easier to access).

5. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

6. BlackRhino

They don't have any males, but all the females are relatively young (in their 20's) and the habitat would be a great place for a baby elephant to grow up, so I think they might be trying AI. The nearby Memphis and Knoxville Zoo's are doing AI and their elephant exhibits are not that great, so I would imagine Nashville would.

7. BlackRhino

I just checked the ages in the studbook and they are 24, 26, 28. They should really AI the 24 year old before she gets too old transport a bull into the facility because they definitely have the space.

8. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how large the elephant exhibit is? It looks like its over an acre.

Also, I was at the Nashville Zoo in 98 or 99, I can't remember because I was seven or eight. The map of the zoo looks different from what I remember. Were there ever camels near the parking lot?

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The zoo you visited ten years ago is not this site. That zoo is closed and gone. Same organization, different site.

The exhibit is about 3+ acres.

It was originally designed to include a bull with a separate bull yard, but that section has not yet been built. It can be added in the future.

As part of the African Savanna, there is a giraffe yard adjacent to the elephants and a red river hog exhibit along the path. Eventually this will connect to African Forest (gorillas, etc.)

The South America exhibit ought to be quite large...the biggest thing Nashville has done yet. As much indoors as out. It awaits fund raising to begin design work.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2008
  10. BlackRhino

Zooplantman is right. The elephants have a huge 3 acre grassy paradise. It is a really great facility for breeding, but they don't have a bull.

11. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

But I thought the current zoo opened in 97, and I visited in 98 or 99. Was the other facility open in 98 or 99?

And with the other Tennessee zoos using AI I think Nashville should finish the bull yard and acquire a male.

12. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when the old zoo closed. I think both were open for awhile. In 1998 there was very little at the present site.

The zoo absolutely agrees...I believe..that they ought to have a bull. But it is expensive and they have an entire zoo to build.

13. BlackRhino

They could just put the bull in with the females like they do at SDWAP and the Columbus Zoo. The exhibit is plenty large to give the bull his space and still be in w/ the females.

14. okapikpr

Not every bull can just be placed with elephant cows...its takes a true gentleman of a bull to do so. Also there is a bit of a African bull shortage in the US, so not every zoo can have a bull right now. I do know that Nashville has been attempting AI from some time now.

15. okapikpr

16. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

MODERATORS - Please move this thread from the general United States forum to the Nashville Zoo forum.

17. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited on Friday, and I must say that this is one of the best lanscaped zoos I've been to. The bamboo forest is very impressive and plantings in general were dense enough to keep us relatively comfortable on a day that felt like 103F.

I haven't seen anyone mention the tapir exhibit, which as most there was quite nice. It was a terraced grassy field with a pool. Unfortunately, the tapir were not on display. They were constructing a flamingo pool right next to the exhibit, so perhaps they were shielding them from the noise.

I also particularly enjoyed the New World building. They had some nice aquatic/terrestrial displays featuring the usual Amazonian fish (arrowana, pacu, plecostomous, catfish) as well as some saurians such as green basilisks and a couple of big caiman lizards. There was also a terrific open-air rhino iguana display that was built to look like a Carribean beach. The rhino iguanas were enormous.

And yes, folks, the elephant exhibit is amazing. There are at least four viewing areas that I can remember, and I couldn't even find the elephants until I got to the very back end. This zoo also uses a ton of that hotwire/grass. You may not notice it if you weren't aware that such a contraption existed. If you look close, you can see tiny metal tabs on the wire.

I for one can't wait to see this zoo grow into it's acreage. They don't really have a bad exhibit at the moment, so they seem to be on the right track. There really is a lot of potential exhibit space here.

18. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It looks like another ZooChatter who loves the zoo wonderful Elephant Habitat.

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Zoo's Tapirs Now On Exhibit - Community News Story - WSMV Nashville

20. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nashville Zoo To Get 2 New Elephants - Community News Story - WSMV Nashville

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The elephant herd at the Nashville Zoo is about to double in size.

The zoo in Jackson, Miss., is shipping its two African elephants, Juno and Rosie, due to budget constraints.

Juno and Rosie will join the current residents, Sukari and Hidari, by the end of this year in the zoo's three-acre African Elephant Savannah.