Join our zoo community

Nashville Zoo Nashville Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by BlackRhino, 28 Dec 2008.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

This is unfortunate. I loath how when one zoo gets an attraction like this the others all get it like a disease. Does anyone know when the elephants and rhinos are coming to Nashville?

4. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe that they already have three rhinos, but I may be mistaken. Elephants will be a while.

5. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

https://www.nashvillezoo.org/grow-wild

New entrance, ropes course and four new or expanded exhibits slated to debut spring through fall. Andean Bears and friends is a multi-species complex.

6. Arizona Docent

From the link:
    PHASE 1
    Entry Village (Spring 2016)
    Rhino Exhibit (Spring 2016)
    Spider Monkey (Summer 2016)
    Tiger Exhibit (Summer 2016)
    Andean Bear Exhibit (Fall 2016)
    Veterinary Center (2017)
    PHASE 2
    African Savanna and Village
    Education Annex
    PHASE 3
    African Forest

7. Arizona Docent

And just to stir up the emotions of ZooChat members, the zoo is making the bold claim that Phase 3 will include "one of the most progressive and natural gorilla exhibits in the country."

8. jayjds2

I suppose we shall see how it compares to CGF. I haven't been to the Bronx Zoo but from pictures it looks great. In Nashville, the gorillas will be able to stay outside a much larger portion of the year than at Bronx. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

9. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4 Great Blue Turacos hatched during January/February.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My boyfriend and I will be heading down to Nashville for the weekend here in just a few weeks for a concert, and we are planning on making a visit to the zoo the day afterwards before coming home. Unfortunately, my first visit to the Nashville Zoo is coming at such an in-between time for the zoo, having just relocated their elephants and having several new exhibits opening later this year, but I'm sure that those facts will only make a return visit more mouth-watering! That said, I will try my best to note the progress on the up-coming exhibits and additions and report back here when I return!

12. vogelcommando

13. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1 Palawan Binturong born on 8 March.

14. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Did either of you see the snake in the men's bathroom?

15. Kudu21

Neither of us needed to use the bathroom for the duration of our visit, so no, we did not! In which of the bathrooms is it housed? I hadn't heard of there being a snake in one of the bathrooms or I would've taken a look! In Unseen New World I did notice a terrarium sitting in a room off to the side, behind glass doors that people were walking in and out of, but the building was busy that I did not want to get out of line to check into it... Could that have been it or no?

And now, as promised, the updates on the construction around the zoo!

-First off, as I mentioned in the gallery, the trio of white rhinos have yet to go on display in the former elephant exhibit. The signs say "late spring", but are no more specific than that.

-Second, the newly opened entrance is absolutely gorgeous! It is incredibly well done; however, it was stated that it was rebuilt to accommodate the 1,000% increase in visitor numbers, but from what we experienced on our visit on Sunday, it is still not large enough! I have never stood in line to buy tickets at a zoo for as long as we did on Sunday morning... It was as if you were at an amusement park!

-The steel frames for the exterior and support columns for the spider monkey exhibit are all in place, and the beginning of the boardwalk to and around the exhibit is in the works.

-The site has been cleared for the new Sumatran tiger exhibit, but beyond that, not much progress has been made at all. The boardwalk approaching the site of the exhibit does appear to be new, however.

-The buildings of the Andean bear complex have taken shape, but look like nothing more than concrete brick bunkers in their current state, so there is not much to comment on there. It also does appear that the starts land is beginning to be sculpted for the exhibits. The complex appears to be taking up quite a large expanse of land and will surely be quite impressive.

Other things of note that I'm not sure have been mentioned yet other than by myself in the gallery:
    -All of the Burchell's zebras are gone; there are now two Grant's zebras out in the yard with the eland, ostrich, springbok, and bontebok.

-A pair of red ruffed lemurs now inhabit the Schmidt's red-tailed guenon exhibit.

-A single male capercaillie is on exhibit in an aviary in the Critter Encounters area of the zoo.

16. jayjds2

For the lemurs in the guenon exhibit- are the guenons still there, or is it just the lemurs? And thanks for noting the exact species... I remembered it being a guenon species, and had a suspicion that it was Schmidt's, but wasn't positive. Thanks for all the updates, I am hoping to get back here before too terribly long.

17. Kudu21

The lemurs have replaced the guenons. And you are welcome!

18. vogelcommando

19. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Why are anteaters not on exhibit at the zoo?

20. jayjds2