Join our zoo community

national geographic magazine

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by boof, 4 Jul 2007.

1. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Johnathon Hornbill,
    I know you are a big bird fan. Try to get the July issue of National Geographic magazine. Mine was delivered today. It has an article on birds of paradise in it. The photo's are pretty good. I think you will enjoy reading it.:)

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I'll try. Will it be the same one over here?

3. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My Nat Geographic was up far renewal recently and I did not do it. There were to many articles about things like soccer and sometimes they would have interesting photos of something which interested me but as good as no info with it. In gereral I was not finding it very interesting or informative. Maby one interesting story per magazine. Maby I will get Australian Geographic instead.

4. boof

I think they are the same everywhere. The letters came from all over the world each month and they all relate to the same stories. Maybe they change some articles, but generally I think it is the same magazine worldwide.

5. boof

I have every issue since January 1986,and the magazine has changed a fair bit over the years, but I think it would be pretty hard to keep coming up with new articles without having to cover a wider range of topics. My favourite part of the magazine is the canon advertisements that have been a different photo of an endangered species every month.

6. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree with that Boof. Some of their articals provide less information than those cannon adds.

7. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i did the same thing!!! let my subscription slide!! it was a treasured possession of mine as well. but for me it wasn't so much an issue of too many soccer-related articles (i quite liked the "world game" issue :rolleyes:) its more in what appeared to me, to be an increasing focus back on the USA. i know its called national geographic, but the magazine has always prided itself on being more of an international geographic. zip USA is just a big fat waste of the last 4 pages in my opinion. i'm also pissed they stopped doing the bidiversity hotspots feature every couple of issues (though i just bought an awesome "hotspots" book anyway ;))..

now i just flick through it at the newsagent and see if there is an article in it i wanna read before i buy it.

agreed though - i quite seriously do miss the cannon ads!!!

8. boof

there is a web site put out by national geographic and canon with all the photos over the years. It's called wildlife museum. I think there is a link from the national geographic home page.

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Snow Leopards - National Geographic Magazine

The June 2008 edition of National Geographic Magazine has a 24-page section of amazing photos and articles on snow leopards. I browsed through the magazine in a store, and will have to wait until my personal copy arrives in the mail. The photos of the elusive snow leopard are quite impressive.

10. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

I'm sure all of you are also aware of the July 1993 issue with the fantastic zoo article and pictures. This magazine was my first "zoo book".

Michael Nichols, the photographer, later put together a great book called "Keepers of the Kingdom" and features essays from some of the "great" american zoo directors...maruska, conway, hanna, hancocks, and robinson (and john charles coe, the architect that had a director's level impact on American zoos).

11. snowleopard

The newest magazine (December 2011) has a large article on the worldwide plight of tigers, but interestingly enough of the world's 37 species of cats there are 8 that are listed as the "big cats" in a beautiful fold-out section. Tiger, lion, jaguar, cheetah, puma, leopard, snow leopard and clouded leopard are the 8, but the puma is not always listed as one of the "big cats" in many other publications due to its inability to roar. An intriguing article nevertheless.

12. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does the article have a positive or bleak outlook on tiger conservation?

13. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just saw this thread. I have over 450 National Geographics from 1971 to the present. I am missing 33 editions from this time-span, unfortunately including a couple from this year because my subscription expired around the time I was moving house, and I'm yet to get around to doing it again. 20 of the missing editions are from 1972 (11) and 2009 (9) - the latter year being when the collector that I got most of them from stopped buying them.

If any of my fellow Victorians wants to help me plug a few gaps, let me know. :)

14. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Which issues are you missing from this year?

15. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

July and October. Interested in selling? :)

16. snowleopard

The article has a bleak outlook, as it states that in the early 1980's there was an estimated 8,000 tigers remaining in the wild. With millions of dollars donated to campaigns to save the animals success looked possible...and now there are only an estimated 4,000 wild tigers left. There are 13 Asian nations that contain tigers, and 50% of the cats are found in India. Amazingly a hundred years ago the best estimates are that there were 100,000 tigers roaming across the vast continent of Asia.

17. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Nah. My wife and I alternate in leaving old issues in our respective lunch rooms, so I don't sell them anyway.

I'll post them to you for free. PM me your address, and I can probably pop it in the post for you today.