Join our zoo community

National park based exhibit

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by elefante, 23 Mar 2020.

1. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I think I remember a thread like this somewhere. I'll take one anyway

2. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't realize there was a thread. I'll give you Andasibe-Mantadia National Park in Madagascar.

3. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm American, and I can vouch for wildebeest and cape buffalo being uncommon here. I've seen few wildebeest (SDZSP, Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit, Franklin Park, and I think Toledo) and fewer cape buffalo (SDZSP, maybe Disney's Animal Kingdom, both were a long time ago) It's a shame they're not more common because they're such an iconic African animal. I assume space, fencing, and compatibility are the main issues.

Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park exhibit coming soon!

4. iluvwhales

Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
    You start out at an exhibit for spotted hyenas. The path winds around to a large flight cage that is home to a pair of secretary birds. The next exhibit is another flight cage with warthogs, cattle egrets, Egyptian geese, hamerkops, hadada ibis, and cape shelduck.

The next exhibit is a large open community exhibit for wildebeests, common eland, giraffes, greater kudu, marabou storks, springboks, and gemsboks. Next, the path takes you to two rocky exhibits. One is home to a honey badger. The other is home to a troop of vervet monkeys. The last enclosure is for a pride of lions.

Next park, please.

5. elefante

I like your bird collection. Egyptian geese are one of my favorite types of birds. Gemsboks are also so gorgeous. No meerkats?

To finish up with Africa, Loango National Park in Gabon.

6. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Grand Teton Grasslands.
    The first exhibit is a big hill home to Grizzly Bears.After this,you find a big exhibit with tall grass and a little pond in the center where Moose,Elk, American Bison and Pronghorn live. Also,flying around the zoo,there are Common Mergansers,White Pelicans and Great Blue Herons. We have different exhibits all like the same for Bald Eagle,Osprey,Northern Harrier and American Kestrels. At the end we find the carnivores row for Coyote,Wolf and Black Bear. In the middle of a pond we find an island where North American River Otters live in a half of it and in the other the Beavers live.

Next park please.

7. elefante

When you say flying around do you imagine the waterfowl free ranging throughout the zoo? Are the Beavers and otters separated?

Next park: Olympic National Park in Washington, USA

8. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Yes and the island is separated in two halves,one for the Otters and the other for the Beavers.

9. iluvwhales

Whoops. Meerkats were an oversight on my part. Stand by for Loango National Park exhibit.

10. iluvwhales

Gabon: From Trees to Seas
    Based on Loango National Park in Gabon.

Forest
    This exhibit starts out with a large exhibit for a troop of western lowland gorillas. There is also an exhibit for leopards and another for mandrills. The path then takes you to a building where gorillas can be seen in an indoor exhibit. There are also terrariums for herptiles such as gaboon vipers and slender-snouted crocodiles (serving as a proxy for Central African slender-snouted crocodile).

Beach
    This zone is home to a family of hippos in reference to the "surfing hippos" for which this national park is famous. Another exhibit a free-flight aviary that is home to Hartlaub's ducks, fulvous whistling ducks, Egyptian geese, African pygmy geese, palm nut vulture, grey parrots, and forest buffalo. The buffalo are separated from the duck pond by the pathway. The birds can fly into the buffalo area or and go under the path through culverts.

Ocean

This is a huge building home to aquatic wildlife from the nearby Ndogo Lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean. There is a huge tank with bluefin tuna, Nile perch, and tarpon, two commonly exploited species in the area. There is also a tank with barracudas. Last of all, two 1.5 million gallon aquariums, each holding a species of cetacean: common bottlenose dolphin and killer whale.

Next park, please.

11. elefante

Nice combination. I was not expecting marine animals, nice surprise. Your next one is Bundjalung National Park in New South Wales Australia.

12. Sotolo

Sotolo Active Member

Good time of day!

I’ve been periodically checking the forum for quite a while (I want to say four years). I never thought I would join, but with the state of the world and interesting creative threads like this one, now seems like a better time than ever.

May I join in on the fun with a national park suggestion elefante?

13. elefante

Sure thing. I'll give you Big Bend National Park in Texas. Nice to see someone on here who is a bit of a geographic neighbor.

14. MonkeyBat

The Strange Jungles of Andasibe-Mantadia

This small exhibit would be a large building with a giant atrium for the main exhibits. The guests to walk in to the main circle. This would have terrariums on one side and a view of the atrium on the other. The middle wold have some information on the people of Madagascar and the troubles it faces. The terrariums go as follows.

jungle centipede
    golden mantella
    Parson's chameleon, satanic leaf tailed gecko
    nose horned chameleon, mossy leaf-tailed gecko
    short horned chameleon
    lined day gecko
    orb weaver
    Madagascar tree boa

The other side has a view of the main atrium, and shows of a large exhibit with glass in the back to make it look like it is overlooking the main atrium. It has many ropes and trees to climb and is well planted. It is home to black and white ruffed lemurs, brown lemurs, and diademed sifaka. The zoo has a breeding group of these rare lemurs to help their numbers increase. The exhibit is heavily planted and features a trickling stream.

The visitor then enters into the main aviary through a set of double doors. The aviary is small, but heavily planet none the less. It essentially is a path and a large bridge going over a waterfall. The species that are free flight include

Madagascar white eye
    Madagascar green pigeon
    hamerkop
    Madagascar bee eater
    Madagascar ibis
    crested coua
    greater vasa parrot
    cattle egret
    blue coua

On one side right side of the bridge there is also a large exhibit for some fossas. Which is had fallen trees and a small pond to represent the start of the waterfall.

May I have another?

15. iluvwhales

Bundjalung National Park
    You start out at a large building where koalas, lace monitors, Peron's tree frogs, and short-beaked echidnas are housed.

The next exhibit is an open field where grey kangaroos and swamp wallabies roam freely. Enclosed within this open area but separate from the guests is a group of emus and red-necked wallabies. There a also two flight cages: one with an osprey (serving as a proxy for eastern osprey) and another with a white-bellied sea eagle.

Next park, please.

elefante likes this.
  16. elefante

Is the marsupial enclosure a walk through?
    Watarrka National Park in the Northern Territory Of Australia.

17. elefante

Good call including description of problems in the area. I think that's important. Next for you: Serengeti National Park in Tanzania.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  18. iluvwhales

The Northern Territory
    Based on Watarrka National Park and Kings Canyon in Northern Territory, AU.

The first exhibit is home to small herds of dromedary camels, domestic horses, and Hereford cattle to represent the camels' and horses; invasive status in Australia ad the prevalence of cattle in Australian agriculture. You come to a large building. Inside are exhibits for breeding pairs of saltwater crocodiles, malas, and bilbies. After you exit the building, you come to a large meshed-in enclosure that is home to yellow-footed rock wallabies, gallahs, and crested bellbirds. The final exhibit is home to a family of dingoes.

Next park, please.

19. elefante

Good choice with invasive species. Certainly a problem in Australia. Next for you is Wasur National Park in New Guinea.

20. MonkeyBat

Serengeti - Wildlife Metropolis

This exhibit would be located on a large, flat, site of land. It would display the animals similar (as I'm aware through pictures) to Caldwell Zoo in Tyler, Texas, with large moats separating the animals to create the illusion of the animals living together. This exhibit is supposed to be for a mid-sized zoo and is quite old, probably from the 80s or 90s.

The visitor starts off in front of a "river" for Nile crocodiles. It overlooks the first paddock. and the pool in the first paddock

Then it's off to the Conservation Cafe, a small hut like restaurant that serves the usual burgers, hot dogs, and other "zoo food". It features many adventure gear and maps of the park, as well as a guide to some of the animals. The restaurant also offers a view of the main savannah.

The Great Migration

This is a large spacious paddock representing some of the famous animals of the famous Serengeti migration. Here you can find blue wildebeest, Grant's zebras, and Thomson's gazelle. They also share their exhibit with a mud flat in the side of the exhibit for lesser flamingoes. and helmeted guinea fowl, and crowned crane also share the area. A moat separates the hoof stock and birds from the neck exhibit.

Kings of the Serengeti

Of course, by the name, you can expect this exhibit is of course for African lions. Their exhibit features kopjes for climbing, a hut for viewing, which features a half lion half human accessible land rover, creating some very interesting photos. It overlooks the next paddock and the Migration paddock.

Serengeti Families

This exhibit is of course the largest, as it holds the largest animals. This paddock is home to African elephants. Currently two elders, a younger female and her baby. The highlight is a large waterfall pool and a giant baobab tree. This have enrichment inside and is connected to the night barn. The exhibit will soon be renovated to add a private yard for a rotational herd once the zoo gets a male.

Towering Above

Next to the elephants, a smaller, but still large, grassy paddock with large thatched towers is in sight. Of course it is home to Masai giraffes. Overall the exhibit is quite simple, but a renovation will be soon underway for a feeding experience.

Monkey Rock.

The final exhibit is not a paddock, but a large island with a towering rocky kopje, towering at almost 30 feet tall. It feature many outcrops for olive baboons. Since they also are quite to foragers, there is also a grassy yard nearby.

Masai Village

The visitor finally exits through an aviary. The vision enters through a Masai hut, where they can learn about the unique culture of these amazing people. After exiting, you enter a sort of river bed, with birds flying around you. The free flying birds are the grey breasted spur fowl, fisher's lovebirds, yellow billed oxpeckers (are they in captivity?), superb starling, variable sunbirds (almost typed this as sunflower, thanks Harry Styles :)) Von decker's hornbill, white headed buffalo weaver, and lilac breasted rollers. In the river bed, there are terrariums for black mamba, rainbow agamas, black necked spitting cobra, dung beetles, flap necked chameleon, boomslang, and a large one Southern African python. In the middle of the aviary is a large exhibit for dwarf mongooses, crested porcupines, and leopard tortoises. It even includes one way glass for seeing into the burrows!

Here's an overview of which animals overlook who

crocodiles - migration

migration - crocodiles, lions, partially elephants

lions - migration, elephants

elephants - migration, lions, giraffes

giraffes - elephants, baboons

baboons - giraffes

May I try another?