Join our zoo community

National Zoo and Aquarium National Zoo and Aquarium News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 10 Feb 2022.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

New Lioness Arrives

The zoo have received a lioness from Werribee Open Range Zoo. Nairibi has been transferred as a mate for Mlinzi.

1.0 Mlinzi (18/06/2013) Leroy x Kiamba
    0.1 Nairibi (15/02/2012) Imported 2014 (Denmark)

Nairibi previously gave birth to 2.2 cubs in December 2016 - none of which are in breeding prides.

akasha, Jambo, Zorro and 1 other person like this.
  2. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

I visited NZA today. The highlights of my trip were finally getting to see the Sri Lankan Leopards for the first time, as well as a giraffe calf on exhibit! I believe the calf was born in the last couple of days - not sure the exact DOB or sex. Looking at @WhistlingKite24's population list, the parents would be Shaba x Mzungu.

Tigergal, akasha, Jambo and 5 others like this.
  3. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

I was back at NZA today and was very fortunate to be able to see one of the Sri Lankan Leopards up close. One of the males was stalking a hyaena in an adjoining exhibit. The hyaena didn't seem too fussed and eventually wandered over to the viewing window in the aquarium to fall asleep against the glass. I'll try to add some photos to the gallery later once I've looked through them and can pick the best ones.

It's a colder, overcast day, so I didn't stay for too long. The zoo was not particularly busy, but there were a couple of school groups of young children which seemed to be thoroughly enjoying their excursions.

At the lion exhibit complex, the end of the deck is being upgraded, which hampers visibility into the centre exhibit (the one straight ahead on the catwalk boardwalk). I haven't seen any lions in there anyway, so possibly they are taking the chance to upgrade the visitor area while Mlinzi and Nairibi are off-display. The white lion pair were on the left, with Sabi and Marjan on the right. I saw them on Thursday during my last visit, although not today.

Also, are the news threads the best place for brief visit updates such as this, or is somewhere else preferred?

4. Zoofan15

Thanks for the update, @Abbey. It sounds like the upgrade ties in well with Mlinzi and Nairibi being off display for introductions.

Yes, the news threads are an ideal place for updates like this. If there is something relevant in your update to the population threads, the author of that population thread can read your update and then mention it in their thread if they see fit.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2022
  5. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

The birth has been announced via social media, and the calf's name has been announced as Themba: Login • Instagram

Still not sure of DOB or sex, there's a video of the calf in the Instagram posts, so those members with a better knowledge of giraffe anatomy might be able to confirm :p

The birth took place sometime between 14-16th June I believe, and if I do end up going back to the zoo this week (I'm returning to Sydney, hopefully via Mogo, on Saturday), I'll try to ask.

6. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

I visited NZA again, this time with family, during the week. We didn't arrive until about 2pm, so walked through somewhat briskly, as it wasn't particularly warm.

The refurbished deck at the end of the Catwalk has opened. Mlinzi and Nairibi the tawny African lion pair are not currently on display. White lions (or Caramilk lions, as my family has taken to calling them) Jake and Mischka have access to both the centre enclosure and the enclosure on the left-hand side. When we visited, both lions were sleeping in the sun in the centre enclosure. Sabi and Marjan, the elderly lion brothers, are both still alive, in the enclosure on the right (which is overlooked by one of the Jamala Lodge residences).

The tree kangaroos Simba and Oumak were together in the right-hand side exhibit. On a previous visit last month, the tour guide said that the animals were separated unless they were introduced for breeding, so I would presume that they are trying to breed the species. Both tree kangaroos have bred before, albeit not with each other to my knowledge.

7. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

According to the National Zoo Instagram page, Sumatran Tigers Ndari and Aceh are currently sharing the exhibit space. I am not sure whether this is for companionship purposes, or whether they are actively trying to breed the species. Ndari's family line is not well-represented in the region, so a litter of cubs from this pair would be a great outcome.

steveroberts, Zorro and Zoofan15 like this.
  8. Zoofan15

They have previously received a breeding recommendation for this pair and have been working towards breeding them for a number of years. The previously stated their intention to undertake long, slow introductions (18 months plus) with this species, so it’s possible they’ve been cautious and face to face introductions have only recently been achieved.

Ndari is now 14 years old and at the upper limit of her reproductive lifespan. Females in the USA have reproduced as old as 15 years, though had previously given birth to litters. The record for the oldest dam at first birth in the region is 12 years.

Chances are slim, but none of Soraya’s six daughters have bred and Ndari is now the only one in a breeding situation - so fingers crossed for a successful outcome.

9. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looking at their website today I saw it mentioned that they are part of the regional breeding program for Colobus monkeys, Just wondering how long ago since they had actually bred any and what their current population is?.

Patrick Keegan and Zoofan15 like this.
  10. Zoofan15

The National Zoo last bred Black and white colobus in 2015. This was also the most recent birth of this species in the region.

Their current population stands at 3.3 colobus:

0.1 Masika (1998)
    1.0 Indi (2006) born at Melbourne Zoo
    0.1 Safi (2008) born at Monarto Safari Park
    1.0 Colby (2009) born at Melbourne Zoo
    1.0 Colin (2011) born at Melbourne Zoo
    0.1 Halle (2015) born at the National Zoo and Aquarium

Note: Colby and Colin live in a bachelor troop.

Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  11. Zorro

Shame there's been no resent births!

12. Zoofan15

I agree. Melbourne bred a number of them in the past (last bred 2012); as did Monarto (last bred 2009). Monarto has since phased them out and Melbourne (who hold a single female) will surely follow. I imagine she’ll be transferred to either Adelaide or the National Zoo soon (the two remaining holders).

Swanson02, Patrick Keegan and Zorro like this.
  13. Zorro

Another spectacular monkey species in decline within the region, Perth also held and bred them well at one time.

14. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think Melbourne will send their female elsewhere; she might be their last once she passes down the line, but I doubt they'd send her anywhere else - she isn't that valuable to the breeding program and isn't an entirely young female.

15. Zorro

But would she not be better living out the rest of her days with the national zoos two spare males than living alone until she passes?

16. Zoofan15

Kipenzi is 11 years old and could potentially live up to 30 years. As a social species where the females live in troops numbering single digits up to the 20’s, she’ll need companionship on welfare grounds - even if it’s joining a troop as a non breeding animal.

It depends whether Melbourne Zoo plan to phase out this species - if they plan to import others, great; if not, she’ll be going elsewhere.

Swanson02, Zorro and Patrick Keegan like this.
  17. Zorro

Your quite right its not the right thing to do with a social species like these she should be moved to join a group and not kept alone!

18. Zoofan15

At least within the year we should have an answer on whether Melbourne Zoo plan to phase this species out or commit to it long term. They’re ranked as Least Concern and although they offer a nice compliment to species like the Western lowland gorilla, they’re not as enabling as other species to the general public.

19. Zorro

Since the Adelaide Zoo imported 3 females around one year ago to continue the species it's going to be interesting to see who else if any are going to join them in holding the species?, The group at the national zoo has not bred for about 7 years now with Melbourne down to one female, so where to now?

20. Zoofan15

It’s difficult to say where the National Zoo are heading with this species as they haven’t bred in seven years now. The male of their breeding troop (Indi) is a full brother of the bachelor males held in the Jamala Lodge exhibit, so transferring his seven year old daughter to their troop for breeding isn’t an option.

It’d be nice to see the National Zoo undertake an import from overseas to introduce some genetic diversity given the over representation of the Melbourne line.