Join our zoo community

National Zoo and Aquarium National Zoo and Aquarium Review (January 2022)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by akasha, 11 Jan 2022.

1. akasha

akasha Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The National Zoo and Aquarium is a sloping 19 hectare site, located near the wall of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, ACT. It originally opened as the National Aquarium in 1990. In 1998 it was purchased by a new owner who began converting it into the zoo it is today. I personally visited the aquarium as a child in 1993 (underwater viewing tunnel!), again as a teenager in 2000 (tigons!), and then as an adult in 2010 (cougars!). My visit on 08/01/2022 was my fourth time (Sri Lankan leopard!), and once again the zoo had been through some changes, including the open range expansion.

I arrived at 11:00am, anticipating that I would need about four hours to see everything before the rhino encounter I had booked for 3:00pm. The zoo was quite busy with visitors, so I had to park in one of the overflow carparks. This meant that I entered the zoo from a side gate, rather than the main entrance.

I had bought my ticket online, which cost $47. At the ticket booth I had my ticket scanned and also had to sign a waiver for the rhino encounter I had booked online, and was given a wristband for the encounter.

At the time of my visit, Canberra had a rule that masks had to be worn indoors. I would estimate that about 30% of the visitors wore masks outdoors as well. I didn’t wear one because it was too hot.

I entered the zoo near the African Painted Dog and Cheetah exhibits. There was a common viewing area for both, with open air viewing. I saw four dogs in the exhibit on the right, and one male cheetah in the exhibit on the left. Both exhibits were big and spacious for the animals.

My initial impression of the zoo, which continued throughout my visit, was that it was very lush and green. The gardens were vibrant and added a jungle feel to the whole place. There were lots of running water features through exhibits and as part of the landscaping as well.

Because the zoo doesn’t have one clear path to follow, there is an ‘Adventure Trail’ which is numbered and signposted, so that visitors can follow it and not miss any of the exhibits. I basically followed it, also using the map, which had a couple of inconsistencies where things had changed.

The next two exhibits were for lemurs. They were viewed across a moat, which made the animals easy to see. The first exhibit held Ring-tailed Lemur. I saw two lemurs here.

The second held Black-and-white Ruffed Lemur. While I was watching, a keeper and two guests entered the enclosure from the back for an encounter. The masked guests sat on a log and fed the lemurs. I saw five lemurs here.

Around the corner from here was the Serval exhibit. It was a large, lush exhibit. I saw one serval here.

To be continued...

2. akasha

The next set of enclosures I came to was the Tiger Territory complex. It incorporated three tiger exhibits, two of which were attached to Jamala Wildlife Lodge. Jamala is a series of hotel rooms and bungalows scattered throughout the zoo, with windows that face into exhibits, allowing guests close-up views of the animals at their leisure (and expense! The Jungle Bungalows cost $2,650/night with a maximum of 3 guests).

The tiger complex was entered through a faux cave, which included a window looking out from behind a waterfall into the largest tiger enclosure. I saw one female tiger in here.

The next enclosure held one male tiger, and had a viewing window at the opposite end for the Jamala accommodation. The third tiger exhibit was empty.

There was a steep path leading down to the bottom of the big tiger exhibit for another point of view. This exhibit had a total of five viewpoints. Many of the exhibits at the National Zoo had multiple viewpoints.

At the bottom of the slope there was open air viewing for the big Tiger Territory exhibit. It was quite impressive and had plenty of space for the animals. It was also attached to a Jamala bungalow.

Next there was an exhibit with a low fence and a large waterhole. This exhibit held Black Swan, Plumed Whistling-duck and a Domestic Goose.

Adjacent to this exhibit was bungalow #3 of Jamala Lodge. The bungalow had one window facing the waterfowl exhibit, and on the other side a window overlooking a cheetah exhibit.

To be continued...

3. akasha

Across from the waterfowl exhibit was the entrance to one of three walk-throughs. This enclosure held Northern Swamp Wallaby, Emu and Cape Barren Goose.

Within this walk-though was a small exhibit surrounded by a stone wall that was marked on the map as agouti, but actually held Koala.

Also within this walk-through was a small aviary for Orange-bellied Parrot, White-browed Woodswallow and Bar-shouldered Dove.

Outside the walk-through was an exhibit for Tasmanian Devil. It was a large and easy to view exhibit. I saw three devils in here.

Near here was the access to bungalow #4, the one that was attached to the tiger exhibit.

Down the path further was the large Native Aviary. It held Laughing Kookaburra, Galah, Superb Parrot, Tawny Frogmouth, Bush Stone-curlew and Bar-shouldered Dove.

Continuing past here was the Tiger Wetlands complex. It is made up of two large adjoining exhibits for Sumatran Tiger. They could be viewed from above along a boardwalk, or through a viewing window at ground level. I didn’t see any tigers in the exhibit on the right. The exhibit on the left held a pair of tigers, which I didn’t see until later on the ground level.

There happened to be two wild Willie Wagtail fledglings on the dividing fence between the enclosures. Throughout the day I didn’t see many wild birds, and most of what I did see were introduced species.

To be continued...

4. akasha

Walking along a jungle path from the tiger exhibits, there were exhibits for Common Marmoset, in which I also saw one Red-rumped Agouti, then exhibits for Pygmy Marmoset and Cotton-top Tamarin. The tamarin exhibit also held Domestic Guinea Pig.

I then arrived at the main entrance/exit, which included a cafe and gift shop. I grabbed a quick bite to eat and sat watching the Bolivian Squirrel Monkey while I ate. Their exhibit was an island and was the first one visitors saw as they entered the zoo.
    From here I entered the aquarium, which being an indoor space meant I had to wear a mask. Almost everyone adhered to this rule.

Please forgive my vagueness when describing fish species, I am rubbish at identifying most of them and the signage was not very informative, especially considering they were electronic and would be easy to update regularly.

The aquarium itself is a relic of the past. It is not the main focus and is a hotchpotch display with no real order. The first tank is a small one for Clownfish and others.

In an alcove are a series of four round tanks, two on either side, which roughly form the ‘South Oceans’ exhibit. They are old and outdated, and difficult to look at. The first tank contained Port Jackson Shark and Old Wife Fish. The second one also held Port Jackson Shark. The third had Big-belly Seahorse, and the fourth Southern Rock Lobster and Globefish, as well as others.

On the other side of the ‘South Oceans’ entrance was a small reef tank with a different species of clownfish and others.

Adjacent to the staircase was a large, round reef tank with lots of fish species that were not signed and I wasn’t familiar enough with to identify. The only species I recognised was Blue Tang.

To be continued…

5. akasha

On the upper landing was a murky, dimly lit tank referred to as ‘Shark Pier’ on the zoo’s website, though it was not signed. The tank held Black-tipped Reef Shark, Zebra Shark, Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, Yellowtail Fusilier and others.

The other tank viewed on the upper landing was the ‘Barrier Reef Wonders’. It was a round, two storey high tank that could be viewed on the upper level and also on the lower level. It contained a Humphead Maori Wrasse as well as others.

Returning down the stairs and past the Rock Pool, which was a touch pool containing shells and old pieces of coral, I continued down a ramp to the bottom level of the aquarium. This level was a mix of exhibits for reptiles, amphibians and fish. It was a one-way loop going clockwise, with tanks on the inside and vivariums on the outside.

The first exhibit was a large one for Green Anaconda. It also had a pool with a few fish species.

Next were three small vivariums. One for Rough-scaled Python, one for Taiwanese Beauty Snake and another for Green and Gold Bell Frog.

Next to these was a larger exhibit for Green Iguana.

Across from here was a large tank for Barramundi and Salmon Catfish, which could be viewed on two sides.

The exhibit on the outer side of the corner was a large one for Burmese Python. Next was a medium exhibit for Rhinoceros Iguana and another for Coastal Carpet Python.

Around the corner was a large exhibit for Reticulated Python.

The National Zoo had a relatively small reptile list, but all the exhibits they did have were nicely fitted out and spacious for the animals.

To be continued…

6. akasha

On the inner side of the loop was a small tank for Discus and other fish species.

Next to that was a tank for Australian Lungfish, Banded Archerfish and a species of catfish, as well as others.

Adjacent to the reticulated python enclosure was the entrance to another exhibit, which was a mock swamp. It was lit so that the exhibits were nocturnal. There was a path leading down between two enclosures that had views underwater through glass panels about 1.2 metres high, which also allowed for views down into the water from above the surface. The smaller exhibit on the right held Short-finned Eel.

The larger exhibit on the left had a mock tree and was presumably where the alligator was, but it wasn’t signed and I didn’t see it. The only species I saw were Rainbow Trout and Brown Trout. At the end of the path was a window into the Jamala restaurant. The juxtapositioning of the restaurant and the perfectly plate-sized trout did make me wonder...

Exiting out the same door back onto the loop, there was a large tank for a few fish species including Pacu.

The last thing to look at in the aquarium building, was the viewing window into the Spotted Hyena exhibit. Zuberi and Pinduli were both in here.

I exited the aquarium down the same ramp, and going past another viewpoint for the hyena came to the exhibit for Sri Lankan Leopard. The leopard were in a large, jungle type enclosure built on a hillside around a watercourse, which had a boardwalk that bisected it through the middle, allowing the leopard to access both sides of the enclosure by moving under the boardwalk. There was a viewing window on one side with a platform for the leopard to rest on. I saw three leopard resting here right by the glass which allowed for amazing views and the chance to interact with them. It was a very good enclosure both for viewing and for the leopard, giving them plenty of space and enrichment.

At the end of the boardwalk there was another viewing window for the hyena exhibit.

Returning back along the boardwalk and then down a ramp through a lush patch of forest, there was access to another viewing window into the bottom of the leopard enclosure.

It was really cool to be able to spend some time with these cats. They have a large enclosure with lots of hiding places, but chose to rest right in front of the main viewing window. There were lots of people wanting to get in for a close look, but everyone was being polite and waiting their turn. Good on the National Zoo for bringing them to Australia, and well done to them for breeding them successfully. The two cubs have recently been offered on the zoo’s surplus list, so it will be interesting to see which zoo or zoos, decide to take them.

To be continued…

TNT, steveroberts, Zoofan15 and 5 others like this.
  7. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

Wow, how incredible to see the Sri Lankan Leopards up close! The cubs aren’t looking little anymore. I’ve been there twice since they’ve arrived and never seen them (albeit in a wonderful forested exhibit). Thank you for your review, looking forward to the next instalments!

8. akasha

From here the watercourse left the leopard enclosure and ran adjacent to the path, entering the Asian Small-clawed Otter exhibit. There was an outdoor viewing spot for the otter enclosure and also an indoor viewing area with windows to give underwater views as well as a glass panel at one end which looked into their den. I saw three otter sleeping in here.

From here the path lead to a boardwalk which gave open air views of three big cat enclosures. The exhibit on the left was for White Lion. I saw the siblings Jake and Mischka snoozing in here. The exhibit in the centre was empty, but usually Jake and Mischka have access to it as well. (It is where the Tigons used to live.) I presume it will be for the new tawny pair when they are ready to go on display. The exhibit on the left held two tawny male African Lion who were snoozing in the shady garden on the far right of their enclosure.

The next two exhibits were for Sun Bear. Both Arataki and Otay were right at the front of their enclosures snuffling about, which would have allowed for excellent views except that the glass was very cloudy, making the viewing experience extremely frustrating. There were also spots to view them open air when they are further back in their enclosures.

Next was the ground level viewing for one of the Sumatran Tiger exhibits. Through a window, I saw two tigers in here.

From here the path went along the base of a slope. There was an exhibit for Koala, followed by two exhibits for Goodfellow’s Tree Kangaroo. The path then lead up to the front of the tree kangaroo exhibits.

Next was an exhibit for Meerkat. I saw five meerkat in here.

Opposite here was an exhibit that was marked as red panda on the map but it was closed for maintenance.

To be continued...

Abbey, Zoofan15 and Patrick Keegan like this.
  9. akasha

Continuing up the hill there was a large aviary for Barking Owl.

In this area was access to the Giraffe Treetops accommodation. The cabins, which back onto a giraffe paddock, were reached through a guest-only walk-through which held Fallow Deer.

Next was a row of primate exhibits. These exhibits were viewed across a moat. I quite liked them, they were big and exciting and easy to view. The first was for Black-capped Capuchin, the second was for Francois Langur and the third for Black-and-White Colobus. The colobus had a newly installed holding area which they had access to all day so they could get used to the new space. They could be viewed in here from the back of the exhibit.

The moats in the primate exhibits were also full of turtles. I couldn’t see any way for the turtles to leave the exhibit, so I’m not sure if maybe they have been put there intentionally rather than being wild ones that have wandered in.

Behind the primate exhibits is a viewing point into the Cheetah exhibit which is attached to Jamala bungalow. I saw one male cheetah in here.

Continuing up the hill there was an exhibit for Siamang. There was a family of five siamang, including an infant.

The siamang were the last of the smaller exhibits. Most of the exhibits at the top of the zoo were large paddocks for ungulates, or ones for Aussie animals. They were all added to the zoo in 2017 except for the first giraffe paddock which was pre-existing.

The first open range enclosure was a long paddock viewed from above. It held two Giraffe and two Plains Zebra. It could be divided into separate sections but all of the gates were open. There was a giraffe stable at the bottom end which adjoins the Giraffe Treetops Lodge on the other side.

On the opposite side of the path there should have been an exhibit for red panda, but it had a construction fence up, blocking access. Red panda was one of two exotic mammals I expected to see but didn’t. The other was alpaca.

The path tracked along beside the giraffe paddock for a couple of hundred metres, then there was a paddock for Ostrich. I saw two females in here. There were also some Helmeted Guineafowl, though they were all morphs, pieds and lavenders, rather than pearls (wild-type).

To be continued...

10. akasha

At this time I raced ahead, skipping the next few exhibits so I could arrive on time for my rhino encounter, and then backtracked afterwards. I will continue to describe them in order for this review.

On the right there was a short loop path. It had sculptures of various dinosaurs and other extinct animals.

Back on the main path, next was an exhibit for Wapiti. There were several females and a male with an impressive set of antlers.

On the right there was a large paddock for Plains Zebra.

Next was a native animal walk-through. It held more Northern Swamp Wallaby, as well as two Eastern Grey Kangaroo and two Kangaroo Island Kangaroo.

Out a gate at the back of the walk-through was an exhibit for Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat. There was also another similar exhibit which was empty and an area that appeared to be under construction.

Back through the walk-through to access the main path again, there was an exhibit for Blackbuck on the left. There was a male and four females.

On the right was an exhibit for Dingo. On older versions of the map this is marked as maned wolf, but the National Zoo was unsuccessful in keeping them. (They received two males from Altina. One passed away and the other was returned to Altina.)

At this point another path crossed the main path. Following it to the right it lead to a mixed exhibit for Giraffe and Blackbuck. I saw a male and a female giraffe in here. There was also an adjoining giraffe stable. This exhibit was where the giraffe encounters took place for day visitors.

To be continued…

Last edited: 17 Jan 2022
  11. akasha

On the side path, there was also an exhibit for Barbary Sheep. I saw four males in here.

Returning back towards the main path and crossing over it, there were some guest facilities. There was the Rhino Bistro which guests would reach around lunchtime if they entered through the main gate. Adjoining the outdoor eating area was an exhibit for Black-capped Capuchin. In this hub there was also a large playground, picnic tables and free BBQ’s for guests to use.

Adjacent to the picnic area, there were two enclosures for Southern White Rhino.

I booked my encounter online, it cost $90 for 2 people. I showed my booking upon entry to the zoo. I was asked to sign a waiver, given a wristband and instructed to be at the rhino exhibit at 2:45pm for my 3:00pm encounter. I believe the encounter can have a maximum of 6 people, but on my visit it was only myself and my cousin taking part which was great.

The keeper arrived just after 3:00pm, and gave us a quick rundown on what to expect. She explained that if the rhino walked directly at the fence he would stop once his face reached the rail, meaning that his horn would come right through the rails, so watch out for that. She also warned us not to let our hands or arms get caught between the rail and the two-tonne rhino. Having worked with large bulls in the cattle-yards often, I was pretty aware of the safety precautions required, so I felt quite comfortable with it.

Once we were ‘inducted’, we were taken into a small pen at the back of the exhibit. The rhino we met was Ubuntu, a bull who came from Hamilton Zoo. The keeper called to him and he came over, standing up against the railing for us to pat. She explained that we had to pat him quite firmly, and that while ever he could feel us doing that he knew to stay put. We got to spend about 20 minutes with him, patting him for a minute or two, then he would wander off and come back for another go. We got to touch his horn, which the keeper explained he was fine with as long as we didn’t grab it. Towards the end of the encounter a car alarm went off in the adjacent car park which stirred Ubuntu up quite a bit. He was at the opposite end of his enclosure and raised his head, ears flicking forward, before pacing agitatedly towards the sound. It was interesting to see this behaviour up close, but it also meant our encounter was finished.

The keeper told us that Ubuntu and Eco, the other bull, are both part of the regional breeding program, but they haven’t been selected yet. If/when that does happen, she didn’t know whether they will go to another zoo, or just have a semen taken.

I thought the encounter was great value for money, at only $45 each (cheaper than our zoo entry tickets!). It was so cool to have a chance to interact with a such a big, impressive animal, and to know what that skin and horn really feel like. (I was aware that rhinos used mud as sunscreen, but until I saw it up close I didn’t realise that it is caked up and hardened in a permanent ‘shell’ around their body.)

After the encounter, I backtracked to the exhibits previously described.

Next to the rhinos, was a small Cheetah exhibit which held two females.

Back on the main path was a larger Cheetah exhibit which held the three brothers recently imported from South Africa. They were snoozing quite close to the viewing point, and gave the best views out of the four cheetah exhibits. The cheetah in these two exhibits are rotated regularly for enrichment.

On the right side of the path was an exhibit for Eland. I saw two eland.

The next exhibit was another for Dingo. There were two dingo in here.

Following this was an ungulate walk-through which held four Fallow Deer and two Llama.

There was also access to a viewing window for the African Painted Dog exhibit.

Exiting the walk-through we arrived back at the gate we had entered through, completing our visit. We spent just over five hours at the zoo.

Overall, the National Zoo and Aquarium is a beautiful zoo with it’s lush, green landscaping and incorporated watercourses. Most of the exhibits are big and aesthetically pleasing, and provide multiple viewpoints, some allowing for very close views of the animals. There is an interesting selection of species, and it appears that more work is being done. The aquarium is the only letdown, it’s quite dated now, and the whole thing needs a refurbishment. At it’s establishment, it’s main drawcard was a walk-through tunnel, but that is gone now because the structure failed, so what remains is comparatively unimpressive.

The incorporation of Jamala Wildlife Lodge is fairly seamless, it doesn’t detract from the experience for day visitors and I’m sure it is a huge revenue source for the National Zoo, allowing it to continue with upgrades. There is also a good variety of reasonably priced encounters available for day visitors.

I hope this review was okay, if anyone has any questions, fire them at me. I have included a bit more information regarding some ID’s of individual animals in the comments on the photos if you click on them and view them in the media gallery. I will also endeavour to follow this up with a complete species list when I get time. Thanks for reading :)

Last edited: 17 Jan 2022
    Tigergal, Jambo, Astrobird and 9 others like this.
  12. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This has been a great review, @akasha - one of the most comprehensive on ZooChat. You’ve really brought to life and illustrated a lesser known, yet excellent zoo. Thank you,

13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Excellent review and pic’s thank you

steveroberts and akasha like this.
  14. akasha

Thanks :) I figured I would share because the National Zoo is a bit out of the way, so a lot of people might not get to visit it for themselves.

Zoofan15, steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  15. akasha

You’re welcome :)

steveroberts and Zorro like this.
  16. akasha

17. Abbey

Abbey Well-Known Member

Given how similar the guinea pigs in the tamarin exhibit are to the colouration of the tamarins themselves, when I visited it took me an extra moment to realise I was looking at a guinea pig and not a tamarin! Maybe I just need to get my eyes tested... It's been great to read back over your review.

18. akasha

Yeah, I thought it was a nice touch to colour match them :)

Swanson02 and Abbey like this.
  19. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great review - and some nice photos too!

I love the idea of the guinea pigs in with the tamarins! I love that sort of thing (colour matching etc).

I went in January and they weren't sharing the enclosure then, so it must be a new thing.

Swanson02, Patrick Keegan and akasha like this.
  20. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great review and great photos @akasha.

Some of the enclosures look amazing, and they seem to have quite a wonderful collection.

I'd love to visit soon, as it seems quite well worth a trip up to ACT!