Join our zoo community

National Zoo and Aquarium National Zoo & Aquarium News 2017

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Tygo, 15 Apr 2017.

1. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Siamang Gibbon has been born at National Zoo & Aquariums to first time parents Cian and Tunku.
    Canberra zoo releases first pictures of baby siamang gibbon

tiger64 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

tiger64 likes this.
  3. tiger64

tiger64 Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: 27 May 2017
  4. tiger64

tiger64 Member

New species on display in the extension include: Rhino, Giraffe, Wapiti, Blackbuck, Maned Wolves, Barbary Sheep. The Zebra and Eland - which were moved to the new area shortly after construction began, are back on public display.

CANBERRA’S ZOO MORE THAN DOUBLES IN SIZE

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that last link just gives me some advert about "hits"?

But this is great news about National Zoo visitors. The maned wolves have been off-display for two years and the rhinos for three years!

6. tiger64

tiger64 Member

Interesting, that is "Hit 104.7FM's" website... You may have to click on another link to view..?

"White rhinos, maned wolves and zebras are just some of the host of new animals at Canberra’s National Zoo and Aquarium.
    A new open-range extension has officially been opened, more than doubling the size of the existing zoo.
    It’s one of the few open range sections of a zoo found in a city environment, with most located in country areas.
    Visitors can see a range of young animals, many of which have been off display till now, including a baby giraffe, zebra foals, adolescent lemurs, a baby siamang and elk calves.
    Not only is the expansion great for guests, it also allows zoo staff to build on their work helping endangered animals through their critical breeding programmes.
    As well as the host of new animals, the new area also features beautiful picnic and BBQ areas, a massive fern gully and spectacular themed landscapes including waterfalls."

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

That looks great, and is indeed a huge extension (with an additional entrance/exit too). Any idea what is "under construction" at the far far end? Still a bit of a mish-mash of everything, with little in the way of geographic organisation, hopefully that will come in time. Obviously there is some confusion over the spelling of the plural of dingo...

8. tiger64

tiger64 Member

I believe that's the site for a future cafe, playground and Lemur enclosure.
    There does seem to be some confusion on the spelling. Looking at a number of websites suggesting different spellings but the majority do seem to favour 'oes'.

zooboy28 likes this.
  9. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

The new entry has actually been open for over a year now. The "new stuff" starts after that alpaca/deer enclosure, which held emus and wallabies for a while. I'm hoping to get to NZA in the next week or so - if so I'll try to get some photos and definitely report back.

10. Geoffrey

I just got back from a very enjoyable morning at the National Zoo. I really have to commend them on an excellent expansion, and the zoo as a whole is looking very healthy. Some of the new exhibits seem slightly unfinished (most of them have what looks like a moat, except empty), but typically for NZA they are all very ample in size and they all look quite green and new despite the fact that many of them have actually been inhabited for quite some time. There is a lot less of the characteristic NZA fake rock in the new area, which is an improvement (it's still in some of the garden areas).

I'll do a run-down starting at the old giraffe exhibit (referring to the map tiger64 linked above):
    - There is a second yard for the single giraffe here that will soon be joined to the old exhibit, roughly doubling its size (a good thing, as it was always a tad small). While it's certainly not the spectacular harbour backdrop Taronga's giraffes enjoy, it's not half bad, opening directly onto the Molonglo River, Scrivener Dam, Lake Burley Griffin and Black Mountain (Telstra) Tower.
    - There is a third red panda exhibit opposite the new giraffe paddock, which is kind of half blocked off but still sign-posted and visible. It's really very nice - probably bigger than the zoo's other two exhibits put together, and more on the colourbond fence model, but with several large natural trees and lots of climbing opportunities.
    - The ostrich exhibit is currently empty, although the ostriches are on display elsewhere (see below). A sign says that they are waiting for the grass to settle. This seems to me a very strange sort of exhibit, dominated by a large pond and planted with lots of pines, but it will be a good size for them.
    - There is a kind of garden-picnic area opposite the ostriches called "Fern Gully" (it's written faintly on the map) with a bunch of model dinosaurs, because this is apparently something zoos do now. It's quite steep but rather pretty, minus the tacky statues.
    - A sizeable group of wapiti (8-10) occupy a dusty yard which links to a grassy one. This exhibit allows visitors to get very close and really appreciate the size of these deer.
    - A quartet of zebra occupy a very green and quite substantial exhibit (while nothing on Mogo or the open-range zoos in size, it seemed to me comfortably larger than Taronga or Melbourne).
    - There is a small-ish native walkthrough with swamp wallabies and emus (Kangaroo Island Kangaroos were signposted but I couldn't see any).
    - A small group of blackbuck (~8) were in a standard but very adequate yard.
    - The maned wolves (2) had a nice-sized exhibit, very long with some established trees. I think these were the highlight for me - a reminder of how indebted we all are to Altina for saving the species in Australian zoos.
    - Another large picnic area/garden is opposite the wolves. It's very nicely designed with a running water feature but I must say an aviary would really liven it up!
    - Barbary Sheep (3) have a nice exhibit - much greener than what you usually see them in! Their "outcrop" is fairly small but I suspect might be added to over the years.
    - The second giraffe exhibit currently appears to have only three occupants, but it is very large (you struggle to see the back fence) and could comfortably house a medium-sized herd in the future.
    - The zoo has only two eland on display, which is for the best as their exhibit is actually fairly small - I don't think it would comfortably house many more. It does look like it could be easily linked with the giraffe exhibit next to it, though.
    - The "under construction" area - I couldn't see much of what was going on, but it probably should include some sort of cafe since it is quite a trek from this end of the zoo back to the main entrance.
    - The rhino exhibit is quite good, although very dusty (as they always are for obvious reasons). As tends to be the case with rhino exhibits it's a bit difficult to tell how large it actually is since there is a lot of fencing through the exhibit, but it seems fine. I saw two rhinos but there might be more.
    - Next to the rhinos is the temporary exhibit for the ostriches (3 females). This is very obviously too small for them and not at all appropriate, but I suppose it won't be for too long. Once they move on it looks like it would be suitable for small primates or other small mammals. (Binturong? Coati? That kind of thing.)
    - There is a new cheetah exhibit which is very healthy in size. It has much easier viewing than the old one, where I always feel that if I bend my neck this way, and dislocate my lower back, I might glimpse the cheetah. This new exhibit holds two females, while a male is in the original.
    - There is also a second dingo exhibit back here, which I like more than the old one - a comfortable size.
    - Alpaca and fallow deer have moved into what used to be a native walkthrough (the one that has now moved back next to the blackbuck). They are a much better fit for the exhibit, which is quite heavily planted with established pines.
    - The enormous African wild dog enclosure and the two lemur exhibits have been open for a while, although both lemur exhibits were very well populated (I saw 5 ring-tails and 6 ruffed). The serval exhibit, which is very easy to miss (I missed it last time), is really quite nice.

Updates on the rest of the zoo:
    - The "rainforest exhibit" in the aquarium is still not completely finished, with "ocellate river stingrays" the ultimate attraction. At the moment it still has just black pacu.
    - There are currently no otters at the zoo - a sign said the zoo's last otter had gone to Perth and they were expecting new ones soon.
    - The agouti trio have moved from one of the koala exhibits (now both with koalas again) up to what used to be the second Tasmanian Devil exhibit (the back one closer to the bears). This looks to be their permanent home as they have a proper sign. It's a little sparse on vegetation for them but they seemed quite comfortable. The second koala exhibit, incidentally, would really benefit from some ground activity given it has a lower viewing area (the first one has Parma wallabies). I'd suggest echidnas, a rather glaring absence from the collection at the moment.
    - On the "remnant species" - I did spot the last De Brazza, but not the bear, although it was still signposted and it's still on the map so I think it was probably just up the back of that exhibit.
    - The very flash exhibit in front of the cheetahs that normally holds lemurs is currently serving as spectacular overkill for a pair of bush thick-knees. The lemur sign is gone so not sure what the plan is here. (Again, coati or binturong would work here. It would also make a nice aviary for some larger parrots or cockatoos!)
    - The baby siamang is tiny and incredibly cute.

In summary, the National Zoo has developed into an excellent institution, and unless I'm missing somewhere obvious I think it must have the largest exotic mammal collection in any Australian private zoo by quite a lot. I would love to see more birds, but it does at least make some token gestures in that direction (penguins, two small mixed aviaries plus an always-popular Barking Owl exhibit). There are still some areas to expand, although most that middle area that looks like forest on the map is actually part of the zoo's accommodation complex. The size of many of the exhibits makes them quite hard to photograph, but I had a go at it and will try to upload some photos of the new exhibits soon.

zooboy28 likes this.
  11. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm liking the sounds of the new extension! I would be interested to know where all the new animals have come from - it almost sounds like they did a shopping trip down to Altina to get the wapiti, blackbuck, mained wolves (they would have come from there obviously) and Barbary sheep. I did see on face book that 3 of the fallow deer had come from Mansfield Zoo. I look forward to seeing your photos Geoffrey!
    I also notice their website has been updated and it lists the numbers of many of their animals. The brown bear is still listed. The only thing missing from their website is a map of the zoo.

12. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

There is a link to the map in post #3 above, and there is a link to the map on the Visitor Information page of the Zoo's website.

13. Geoffrey

I have upload my photos into the gallery. I'm afraid some of them are very poor quality but I have included them to at least give a feel of the new exhibits until a better photographer than I can do them justice.

14. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited the zoo last week and was going to write a report, but I agree with everything you've put in yours so I will just endorse your report instead :)

Overall I'm extremely happy about the extensions of the zoo - it's doubled in size!!!! I was extremely impressed! 5 stars from me!!!!

Geoffrey likes this.
  15. Zoofan15

Asian Small Clawed Otters Arrive:

‘Otterly’ adorable new zoo residents

Boo, 12, and her two pups, Bal and Bel, who turn 5 today, arrived from Adelaide Zoo as a part of the regional and international breeding program for Asian small-clawed otters.

Laws in the ACT don't allow for otters to be bred here, so a few months ago our only Asian small-clawed otter, Patty, was sent to Perth as a part of the breeding program.

Info from the Adelaide Zoo page:

Boo, Bao, Bal and Bel are four Asian Small-clawed Otters who proudly call Adelaide Zoo home. These inquisitive otters are a favourite amongst visitors and can often been seen frolicking in their watery home or sunning themselves on rocks.

Mum, Boo, was born in Chester Zoo on 21 November 2004 and arrived here in May 2013 with her pups. She loves playing with pebbles and enjoys interacting with visitors− entertaining them with her distinctive squeaks. Being the head of the otter household, Boo is also constantly aware of her surroundings, being the protective mum that she is.

Youngsters Bao, Bal and Bel were born on 7 July 2012 at Perth Zoo. All three siblings are equally energetic and charismatic, but the boys, Bao and Bal, are a bit more rowdy, particularly when it comes to food! Along with their mum, they eagerly look forward to their delectable treats consisting of seafood, crustaceans and molluscs.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  16. Zoofan15

Was just looking at what giraffe are at the National Zoo and found this on their page: The National Zoo is home to 4 giraffe. Humbekhali (Hummer) the resident bachelor male; Shaba (dad), Mzungu (mum) and Kebibi (daughter).

Does anyone know why they have a bachelor male and then a breeding pair. I see from further research the adults were imported in this order: bachelor, breeding female, breeding male, so why acquire a second male? Does anyone know? I'm guessing their may be a genetics reason?

17. Ashanti

Ashanti Active Member 5+ year member

The zoo have had meerkat pups for the first time.

Meerkat pups emerge from the burrow at Canberra's National Zoo and Aquarium

Not sure what Sekai's origins are, but I'm pretty sure dad was from Wellington Zoo. Hopefully this is the start of a fresh bloodline for the population, most of the other breeders in the country are offspring of Perth's prolific dominant female.

18. Geoffrey

Notes from today's visit:
    - The National Zoo now has pygmy marmosets. These are in what used to be the common marmoset exhibit; the commons have moved next door where the squirrel monkeys used to be; and the squirrel monkeys have moved all the way down near the older cheetah exhibit (the nice newish exhibit that once had lemurs). Cotton-tops off-display.
    - The three lion exhibits will soon become two (the left and centre ones to be merged).
    - The ostriches are now in their purpose-built exhibit; or rather, one of them is, while the other two are in what was supposed to be the giraffe extension.
    - The way-too-small exhibit that had the ostriches last time now has a cheetah. Needless to say this is also vastly too small. A sign says it is part of their enrichment program (rotating the cheetahs through different exhibits) but I'm not sure that is the best use of this space.
    - A sign on the construction area indicates that the new area will include a "monkey island", a cafe, and a playground.
    - Actually saw the brown bear for once!

Kifaru Bwana and Chlidonias like this.
  19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

cool. I just had a look on their Facebook page and they had a post on 30 November saying they have two of them, named Adora and Sofia.

They are females from Symbio - Sofia is one of the animals stolen from there last year, specifically named in this article Third stolen monkey found in Australia, returned to wildlife park while Adora (not stolen) is named in a photo caption in this article about the theft Stolen monkey found alive; two arrested