Join our zoo community

National Zoo and Aquarium National Zoo & Aquarium News 2019

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jambo, 12 Jan 2019.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bit of a pity that Canberra never entertained breeding with either of the siblings (obviously not with each other). Mind you it would help if more collections were interested in keeping them...

Jambo, Zoofan15 and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Sad news.:( The article mentions ten Snow Leopards in the country, they must be the four at Melbourne, four at Billabong and two at Mogo.
    Not much of a national population.

I found this section of the article interesting...
    “She said the zoo had no plans to get any more snow leopards but she did reveal that Sheva and Bhutan's old enclosure was being overhauled to welcome a new species the zoo has not had before.”
    Could the enclosure be for long-awaited Sri Lankan Leopard?

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That will most likely be the case.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It’s a real shame to lose yet another holder of Snow leopards (yet another species the region seems to be giving up on); but I’d be happy if they imported Sri Lankan leopards. With Adelaide Zoo and Darling Downs Zoo planning to acquire this species in the near future, we could have the start of a decent breeding programme. Hopefully more zoos will come on board also (Auckland Zoo etc.).

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do agree with you just when it looked like the Snow Leopard was getting off the ground in the region they seem to start to then decline. I really would hope more zoos here do hold the Sri Lankan Leopard as one would not want to see the same repeat action again with the Sri Lankans!

7. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

This is a real pity. Although their exhibit was always much too "jungly" for Snow Leopards, I had hoped that they might eventually take over the "waterfall exhibit" that held pumas and then brown bears, and is currently occupied by a cheetah.

Jambo likes this.
  8. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ironically the exhibit first held the pair of ex-circus leopards (pardus), so it sounds like it will return to the same species.

9. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

It is currently occupied by a tiger actually.

10. Geoffrey

It was a cheetah last time I was there. They must be rotating it around through different species. I hope it gets permanent inhabitants eventually, and preferably something that doesn't already have three other exhibits, as both tigers and cheetahs do - it's a fun exhibit and it would be a shame if it was "skippable" in that sense.

11. WhistlingKite24

Jambo and Zoofan15 like this.
  12. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m predicting New Zealand will be heading for a spate of giraffe births in about 3 years, with Orana Wildlife Park and Wellington Zoo having recently imported young bulls. I’m hoping Auckland Zoo will follow suit in importing a bull as they are currently without one.

Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  13. WhistlingKite24

Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Copied over from another thread:

kiang likes this.
  15. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The incoming male Sri Lankan Leopard is called Ankesh. He's 3 years old (Born August 2016) and is from Santillana Zoo

16. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A friend of mine went here yesterday and said that she saw 2 Francois langurs at the zoo, not sure where these may have come from and what sexes they are.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Geoffrey

I was there today and the Francois' langurs were in the exhibit that used to have the De Brazza's Monkey.

Other changes I noticed since my last visit:
    • The squirrel monkeys and capuchins have swapped exhibits - so there are now squirrel monkeys on the island at the main entrance, and capuchins in the new exhibit by the cafe next to the rhinos.
    • One of the koala exhibits has been expanded significantly, but the Parma wallabies that used to be in there too were gone. (Seems like echidnas would be an obvious choice, especially since there is "ground-level" viewing as well.)
    • I couldn't see the leopard, but there was a lot of signing indicating that was unlikely anyway as she is still settling in and very shy.
    • There were dingos (including a pup) in what used to be the maned wolf exhibit, and what used to be the hunting dog exhibit was divided into two and used for dingos and cheetah. There are now FIVE cheetah exhibits, and two for dingos (the original dingo exhibit near the penguins was empty with signs indicating "renovation"). Neither maned wolves nor hunting dogs were on display or signposted anywhere and it appears they are no longer at the zoo, which is a real shame.
    • The new playground was open and seemed popular, but does not involve any new exhibits.
    • The barking owls have moved to the exhibit near the BBQ that has in the past had both lemur species and squirrel monkeys.
    • The wombat exhibit is gone and there is a "memorial garden" for Winnie the wombat.
    • The old owl exhibit now has superb parrots (two males that I saw), galahs (two that never left the shelter), and a tawny frogmouth (without signage). Signs indicated long-nosed potoroo and rufous bettong, but I didn't see any sign of these (no food trays on the ground, etc.) so I suspect they haven't been introduced yet. I am delighted at this non-flashy but interesting selection of new species (galahs excepted).

Last edited: 26 Oct 2019
    Zoofan15, Jambo, Riley and 2 others like this.
  18. WhistlingKite24

The National Zoo has welcomed the birth of two Black and White Ruffed Lemurs. Glad to see the zoo has had consistent breeding success with the species in the last few years.
    Security Check