Join our zoo community

Native Mammals in Australian Zoos

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 11 Feb 2014.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

It was non-existent when I was there more than 10 years ago.

:p

Hix

2. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Numbats have been added to the park's Nocturnal House (per ASDP's Facebook page).

3. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They also have 2 bilbies, a sugar glider (held of display), Long nosed potoroos, 2 dingos, prospine Rock wallabies and koalas. One of the keepers told me last time I was there that they about to renavate the yellow bellied gliders and mahogany gliders enclosure, is this why they are off display?

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

What is the population number of captive Lumholtz's tree kangaroos in Australia (3 or 4 holding institutions); whether there have been successfull captive breeding of this species in Australia? If yes, how many individuals of the captive population were captive bred?

What is the future of this species in collections? Is the population managed, is there a plan for adding new wild-caugh animals in captive population?
    Several questions, but I must ask.
    Thanks,

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

In my above post I was only mentioning things that have changed that affect the listings in the original post of the thread. (is it still being updated?). I posted a full species list here: http://www.zoochat.com/24/david-fleay-wildlife-park-show-species-452143/

I don't think they were off display for renovations because there were no enclosures in the nocturnal house that were empty or in the process of being renovated, they all had something in them. Though the potoroo enclosure could easily hold one species of glider in addition to the potoroos.

I was however told by the keeper that I spoke to that they do occasionally swap the glider species around so I had a chance of seeing one of the other species if I revisited.

6. animal_expert01

The Julia Creek Dunnart at David Fleay Wildlife Park have been replaced by fat-tailed dunnarts. As all the Julia Creek Dunnarts were eithier released or died, so now there are none in captivity. Also David Fleay Wildlife Park's Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo died several years ago as I have mentioned previously so please remove it from the list. They also now have Black-Footed Tree Rat.

7. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I posted about both the dunnart and tree kangaroo from my visit in June; see my own post which I quoted below. I spoke to the keeper who looked after and bred the Julia Creek Dunnarts and she said they were just being bred for release but they kept a single one for display which died so they won't be getting anymore.

A few other updates to the list have been posted by myself and other members, but it seems this thread isn't being updated anymore, which would be a shame.

I may as well add that Peel Zoo also holds Black-footed Tree Rat and is not listed as such in this thread.

8. animal_expert01

Sorry, I did not see your posts.

9. Najade

Najade Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's only one Long-haired Rat left at Walkabout and in good old east-coast tradition (the interesting stuff ) is off-display...

10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi, what kangaroos and wallabies are relatively resistant to cold weather, besides red-necked wallaby and grey kangaroos?

I am asking, because zoos abroad are rather uniform and keep generally red-necked wallabies, grey or red kangaroos. It would be interesting that other kangaroo species would be kept more widely.

I though that wallaroo is relatively cold hardy. It is unfortunately kept just in 2 or so collections in Europe.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Something of an exaggeration - it is kept in a total of 5 European collections; Tierpark Berlin, Duisburg Zoo, Prague Zoo, Linton Zoo and BestZoo.

12. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, but most of these obtained animals only recently.

Anyway, I googled myself what big marsupials live in alpine areas of Kosciuszko national park in Australia with constant winter snow. Red-necked wallaby, eastern grey kangaroo, swamp wallaby and common wombat. Wombat is considered best adapted to snow of them all. Swamp wallaby can browse branches sticking out of snow, so deals with winter better than grazing red-necked wallaby.

13. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On my visit at Alice Springs Desert Park on July 25th there was no sign of Numbat. Its former enclosure in the daylight section of Nocturnal House was under the construction

14. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Eastern Pygmy-possum in Trowunna Wildlife Park, one animal in a small enclosure in the entrance area, hibernating so saw a bit of its back in the log's hole.

15. Najade

I've been told that Featherdale doesn't have Northern Nailtails anymore

16. Najade

Eastern Barred Bandicoots are off-display at Melbourne Zoo.

Southern Brown Bandicoots while strictly speaking on-display at Halls Gap Zoo are basically impossible to see because of how they are kept.

Eastern Pygmy-possum is off-display at Australia Walkabout Wildlife Park during normal visiting hours.

17. Dannelboyz

Dannelboyz Well-Known Member

I visited Wings Wildlife Park in Tasmania two weeks ago, and they have Eastern Barred Bandicoots there. This was of the Tasmanian subspecies, which is in contrast to the Mainland subspecies held at the Zoos Victoria parks. I am, however, unsure if this species is held elsewhere in Tasmania.

I also saw Eastern bettongs and Australian water-rats there.

I am pretty sure Yellow-Bellied Gliders are no longer at Healesville Sanctuary, unless they are present off-display?

Last edited: 30 Dec 2017
    Najade likes this.
  18. Najade

I was told by a keeper today that there's no more Tasmanian Pademelon at Werribee Open Range Zoo

19. Najade

Mitchell's Hopping Mice (two old individuals) at Melbourne Museum are off-show

20. Najade

Based on calls I made today:

Monarto's Black-footed Rock-wallabies are only viewable during the 'A Devilish Native Experience'-bts tour.

Cleland doesn't have Western Pygmy-possum on-show and the person didn't know if there were even any left at the park at all. I'm hoping to be able to follow up on that tomorrow.