Join our zoo community

Natural disasters + Zoos...

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by JM88, 25 Apr 2017.

1. JM88

JM88 Member

If a natural disaster ever hit a zoo, what do you think would happen? I'm curious as I live in the bay area and know that BIG earthquakes can cause quite destruction. If a earthquake hit, I feel that there would be huge problems, especially the Oakland zoo, which runs directly below the Hayward fault. I wonder if it is possible for exhibit walls or glass barriers to break, or even for enclosure space to cave in. Do you think potential natural disasters serve as a discussion topic when new species, particularly dangerous ones such as tigers, lions, venomous snakes, bears, chimps, etc, are introduced? How often do you think inspections takes place on the structural stability of each exhibit? Better yet, do you think zoo faculties are prepared for these type of situations, and the certain consequences that might come from them?

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Prague Zoo was devastated by a flood in 2001. There was little preparation ahead of this disaster and many high profile animals died including an Asian elephant bull and a young gorilla. Many animals such as hippos and sea lions were swept away but later recovered.

Four of the gorillas, inclduing Shinda and Kijivu who are still at the zoo, were saved by keepers trasnporting them to safety on inflatable rafts. The gorillas now have an evacuation tower and have flood drills were they are conditioned to ascend the tower at the sound of an alarm. I believe their pavilion has since been relocated to an area considered less likely to flood due to it's topography.

4. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting they can be trained to do that. The Roosevelt Park Zoo in Minot, North Dakota was devastated by a flood in 2011. The animals were relocated to other zoos and apparently they all survived. I'm not sure if the Red River Zoo in Fargo has also experienced this as it is prone to flooding. I imagine Miami has had numerous close calls with hurricanes.

5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 26 Apr 2017
  6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

The new gorilla pavilion at Prague is not yet completed and apparently work has stalled due to municipal funding or something along those lines.

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoos in my area have lots of plans in case a hurricane is coming. Here is an article about Moody Gardens, a facility in Galveston, dealing with Hurricane Ike. (which was a particularly nasty hurricane)

Moody Gardens reopens despite Ike damage

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member