Join our zoo community

Houston Zoo natural encounter floor plan

Discussion in 'United States' started by yousuf89, 22 Nov 2015.

1. yousuf89

yousuf89 Active Member

ok this is a link to map of the natural encounters from wikimapia

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

I never went or visited the zoo, but I've heard that it's a really good exhibit and I'm really really curious about it
    can anyone help me on the floor plan of the exhibit

2. Ggrarl

Ggrarl Active Member

Well first you usually walk through the red panda habitat. Then as you're standing in front of the doors to the main building, off to the left is an outdoor rainforest habitat with different animals they tend to rotate out (silver pheasant, sailfin lizard, cotton-top tamarin, collared aracari, etc.). The entry foyer has a small above ground pond (with underwater viewing) containing different fish and turtles (red-bellied short-necked turtle for instance). The first hallway: on the left is a sunny Rainforest Canopy which houses the other animals they rotate with the outdoor section (golden lion tamarin, white-faced saki, Hoffman's two-toed sloth, acouchi, blue duiker, etc.) and further down is a small enclave for rainforest animals that prefer it to be darker (straw-colored fruit bat, Indian flying fox, Goliath birdeater spider, black and rufous elephant shrew). The right side of the first hallway is the River's Edge habitat, with half being in an open space (Asian small-clawed otter, blue-bellied roller, Prevost's squirrel) and the other half being several large elaborate fish tanks (electric eel, pacu, river rays, redtail catfish) including a small tunnel that lets you go through the red-bellied piranha tank. The next hall has the Dry Lands on the left, with one large mixed exhibit (springhare, vulturine guineafowl, leopard tortoise, crowned hornbill, southern three-banded armadillo, Harris's antelope squirrel) followed by a few smaller terrariums (honeypot ant, Damaraland mole rat, naked mole rat, Eurasian harvest mouse, common collared lizard). To the right side of the hall is an average-sized circular tank for moon jellies. At the end of the hall, right before the exit, is a large Coral Reef tank with assorted tropical saltwater fish. And just as you exit, the first thing you'll see stepping outside is the meerkats in their habitat.