Join our zoo community

Nature's Miracle Babies

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by kiang, 2 Sep 2011.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new 4 part series is beginning on BBC1 this Sunday (4/9) at 6.30pm.

Presented by Martin Hughes-Games, it focuses on endangered species bred in captivity and the struggles they face.
    Species focused on include:

Giant panda
    Pied tamarin
    Indian rhino
    Tasmanian devil
    Mountain chicken
    Aye-aye
    Koala
    Amur leopard
    African elephant
    Western lowland gorilla
    Barbary lion
    Waldrapp ibis.

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Nature's Miracle Babies

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Barbary lion? That really will be a miracle baby... ;)

3. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I watched episode 2 last night .

One of the featured stories was the gorillas at Regent's Park . It started with the 3 females being joined by Yeboah , how he and Mjuku immediately got on ( featuring film of him 'losing his virginity' ) . Then Yeboah's sad death - apparently from diabetes which I was not aware of . This was followed by the arrival of the Dublin male and the birth of Mjuku's baby with them being kept away from him . There was no mention of the subsequent death of the baby .

The Barbary lion story featured the birth and hand-rearing of Lily at Belfast , then film of her with mate and cubs at Olomouc , showing that a hand-reared animal can make a good parent .

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The baby's death was mentioned at the end of the programme, with the suggestion that the new male was involved

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I caught a small part of this programme- chiefly(and quite by chance) the part on the ZSL gorilla story. It was interesting to see Mjuku actually giving birth- this wasn't featured in the recent ITV series if I remember correctly. (Maybe the BBC got the rights to that part;) ).

How did they 'present' the Barbary Lions i.e. did they mention the questionmarks about purity of the existing zoo Lions or gloss over that?

6. Pertinax

He most certainly was!

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No mention of the purity of the Barbary lions that I picked up . I missed the bit at the end about the death of the baby gorilla .

8. Pertinax

They aren't at that sort of level I don't think- a bit shmaltzy...

9. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If this has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum please forgive me but silly Billy Travers had a right go at this programme in the Daily Mail on Monday.I e-mailed the newspaper with what i thought was a very concise reply,but i doubt they will print it because Born Free has always been a favourite with this paper.I also sent Master Travers a much more strongly worded letter in which i challenged Born Free to match the IZES cash contribution to the Amphibian Ark for 2011.I will keep you posted.