Join our zoo community

SEA LIFE Birmingham Nautilus

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Devi, 19 Apr 2010.

Tags:
  1. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was waiting to add this to when I'd got the photos up, but since my camera is playing up, I thought it would be worth adding anyway.
    There are now Nautilus at the National Sea Life Centre. They are in the last tank before the ray pool and look very healthy. These were on my must see list of species and I was very surprised to see they haven't publicised them at all.
    I believe there are a few different species, so no idea if they are a smaller species or youngsters of a bigger one. I wonder where they'll put them if they're going to grow?

2. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember when Sealife Portsmouth had them but when it changed to Blue Reef they disappeared, does anyone know where they went?

3. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

they still have them tigerlemurguy, oh yes force of habit
    anyways yes they do still have them on display
    does anyone have any info on the old sealife pompey

4. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

thats interesting to me that they are able to keep them alive for more than a few years, especially as cuttlefish and octopus usually don't last long in aquaria.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Going back a few years I remember The Blue Reef Aquarium Newquay having a sign up saying that their had laid eggs.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Nautilus are great. I've seen them in a number of different Aquariums and I never get tired of seeing them.
    its not that other cephalopods don't live long in Aquariums, its that they don't live long full-stop. Most octopus species for example have a life-span of just one or two years. Even the Giant Pacific Octopus has a total lifespan of only five to seven years. Basically, most cephalopods grow extremely rapidly, breed, then die. Nautilus buck the trend by maturing slowly and then breeding repeatedly. They probably live for twenty years or more.
    apparently they're not too difficult to breed so long as daily temperature variations are adhered to. (Adults and juveniles will live quite happily in steady temperatures but they won't breed - or rather, they may lay eggs but they won't be fertile)

7. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

I think The Deep (Hull) had nautilus last time I visited ( which was a couple of years ago now).

8. Zeph

Zeph New Member

They still have Nautili at Portsmouth Blue Reef (approx 3-4).

They are in a tank to themselves and are usually overlooked by most visitors.

Blue Reef also has a Giant Pacific Octopus (male) after they lost their female earlier this year after spawning.

Another recent addition is a Curled Octopus that was found by a fisherman off Selsey.
    I haven't seen it myself, but it was reported as being in a display tank as it recovered.

9. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah right, thank you for that. I must have missed them on my last visit. I much preferred them when they were exhibited in the circular glass tank now holding Silver Dollars (I think?) They made a very interesting exhibit.