Join our zoo community

Need help with a design

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by pachyderm pro, 2 Oct 2016.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member

Like most people on here, I want to build a world class zoo when I am older. I have began trying to do some designs, however Thay seemed all to weirdly shaped or just way to complex. So I got a better idea, Make a species list, then do a design. Does anyone have a design idea for my first exhibit?

Carnivore passage-
    Asiatic lion
    Malayin tiger
    Snow leopard
    Jaguar
    Puma/Cougar/Mountain lion
    Caracal
    Pallas cat
    Serval
    Black footed cat
    Fossa
    Aardwolf

Feedback and/or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated

2. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of having an exhibit based around a contain genera. It is a better idea to have exhibits based on the animals of a geographic area ( say Congo Gorilla Forest at the Bronx Zoo) or centered around one species with a small selection of of other animals to keep visitors interested ( tiger Mountain at Bronx zoo) though I can see where you got that idea, as the Licoln Park Zoo has that type of format with genera based exhibits. But that's just my opinion.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Exhibits by classification were the standard in zoos for decades before geographical exhibits became popular. The positive side is that visitors get to see the variety of adaptations of (mostly) felines, in this case, to different habitats. One gets a better appreciation of the diversity and yet similarity of cats. But in practice felines, in particular, are asleep for much of the visitor's day so the collection can prove to be uninteresting. Comparing curled up piles of fur turns out to be less educational and inspirational than hoped.
    So the feline exhibit makes sense to me in theory but is challenging to execute in a manner that can get the visitors' attention.
    If the intent is not classification but niche then presenting carnivora without prey might seem like only part of the story.