Join our zoo community

[Netherlands] Burgers' Zoo Meet-up July 21th

Discussion in 'Events & Meetups' started by PicanBird, 8 May 2018.

?

Would you go to a Burgers' Zoo Meet?

Poll closed 8 Jun 2018.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Possibly

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Maybe another zoo

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That will take somewhat longer, let's say next year :p. For me September is already filled with work-related travel ;)

2. korhoen

korhoen Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As I'm on holiday the 21st of July I would also be interested in a second meet-up in September!
    Zwolle bird-market can be very interesting in terms of species. I've seen species like motmot and horned parakeet there. Housing conditions for the birds are sadly poor to terrible.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So we can expect a huge addition to your 2018 Big Year list in October? :p

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am not sure Ireland is the right place for that :p

I will be in Africa for a week as well, but as it looks now only in meetings....

Brum likes this.
  5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

There are much more interesting species than these usually... you can see motmots and horned parakeets in zoos. Merops pusillus and Aegithalos bonvaloti like in last spring? Doubtly!
    You can't expect good housing in a two-day housing whre many birds will be sold. It's not the same than a permanent or long-term enclosure... in fact much shorter stance than in a pet shop.

6. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Reminder: Meeting in 3 weeks :cool::D

7. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's a shame to say but I don't think I can make it the 21th. The 28th would have been no problem. I guess I'll wait for the next meet up. :)

8. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Maybe this one?

9. PicanBird

Dear Dutch ZooChatters, due to some personal things I will not be able to host the meetup. So I think the meetup is canceled!

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For any ZooChatters who are still intrested, I at least will have a look at the Penguin-shed at 11.00 o',çlock, hope to find some other ZooChatters there... :).

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am really sorry but as the host cancelled a week in advance and just a really tiny assembly I gave it a pass. I had figured our host had something organized and now in limbo with no others responding I gave it a pass.

Must admit that prior to this I would have gone and found it somewhat curious our friend cancelled at the last minute. I do hope next time prior set obligations are honored.

12. PicanBird

We can reschedule or just drop it. Today is not going to work as I said due to family happenings. Hopefully we can get a new date if people have suggestions?

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went yesterday to the first Dutch ZooChatter Meet-up at Burgers but - as I already was affraid for - I was the only person at the meeting. Possitive about this was that I could myself decide where to go next and how long to stay. Negative was that I could't talk with fellow ZooChatters about the animals, the enclosures, the zoo and lots of other stuff.
    I however hope a next meeting will be orginazed and that then more ( even if it is only double the amount of yesterday ) ZooChatters will come to it.
    Dispit being alone on this meeting I had a nice day and have already uploaded some photos in the Burger's Gallery.

PicanBird likes this.
  14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hope you can talk with me about the animals, enclosures, zoo and stuff at Burgers zoo in September instead... You know I'm waiting very anxiously for your reply, in order to organize my trip counting or not counting with your hosting.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@vogelcommando, I am sorry you eventually ended up alone at the meet. I did explain why I let it be after the cancellation note and no one responding. It will be in Burger's early next month for a freshwater fish thingie. Will post you the date.

vogelcommando likes this.