Join our zoo community

New 60 Minutes Piece on Zoos

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 14 May 2018.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There was a new segment on 60 minutes tonight about zoos focusing on animal breeding and all of the work that goes into it, some conservation success stories due to zoos, and differences in animal management practices in the U.S. and in Europe. I figured that people on here would be interested. The full video, and the full article is here: Are zookeepers playing God?

Last edited: 14 May 2018
  2. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw this and was impressed with their neutrality. As an American that works in the zoo industry, I do tend to align with the American thought process as to how to avoid overpopulation. I read about the Marius situation when it happened but I was happy to see an interview with someone involved in it. It broadened my perspective a bit. I still don't completely agree with that way of population control but I understand why it happens.

carlos55, Ashanti and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  3. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds interesting. It seems there aren't a lot of news pieces on zoos about deep subjects other than "are zoos good or bad?". I'll totally have to check this out.