Join our zoo community

Aggieland Safari New Aggieland Safari Park and Species List

Discussion in 'United States' started by d1am0ndback, 5 Aug 2019.

Tags:
  1. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I recently visited a zoo which opened this year called the Aggieland Safari. I was quite impressed by the animal collection which consisted of several new species for me as well as others I have only seen a few times, along with the fact that most of the exhibits were quite nice for the inhabitants. Here is their website: https://www.aggielandsafari.com/.

The zoo consists of two portions: The Zoo and Safari portions

The Zoo Portion:
    This open walking area consists of two aviaries, a few hoof-stock yards, several small mammal enclosures, a building with native herps along with a few exotic small animals, an interactive tortoise yard, and the best hippo exhibit I've ever seen, which is more or less a fenced in lake and marsh.

The species on exhibit in this portion were:
    Parma Wallaby
    Red Kangaroo
    Indonesian Plantain Squirrel
    Tayra
    Crab-eating Raccoon
    Fennec Fox
    African Crested Porcupine
    Red Fox
    Tamandua
    Black-crested Macaque
    Lowland Paca
    Reeve's Muntjac
    Lowland Anoa
    Bonnet Macaque
    Japanese Macaque
    Squirrel Monkey
    White-handed Gibbon
    Hippo
    Red River Hog
    Capybara
    Reticulated Giraffe
    Nilgai
    Red Lechwe
    Ring-tailed Lemur
    Warthog
    Dromedary Camel

Bronze-tailed Peacock Pheasant
    Germaine's Peacock Pheasant
    Grey-headed Swamphen
    Great Curassow
    Northern Helmeted Curassow
    Garganey
    Marbled Teal
    Eurasian Wigeon
    Northern Shoveler
    Hooded Merganser
    Northern Bobwhite
    California Quail
    Silver Pheasant
    Golden Pheasant
    Greater Vasa Parrot
    Eclectus Parrot
    Rosy-faced Lovebird
    Cockatiel
    Diamond Dove
    Fischer's Lovebird
    Budgy

Texas Spiny Crevice Lizard (Sceloporus poinsettii axtelli)
    Great Plains Ratsnake
    Western Hognose
    Eastern Hognose
    Sonoran Gopher Snake
    Texas Ratsnake
    Prairie Kingsnake
    Longnose Snake
    Desert Kingsnake
    Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake
    Blue Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus cyanogenys)
    Great Plains Skink
    Reticulated Python
    Sulcata Tortoise

Plains Leopard Frog (Could not find this there was a bullfrog in the enclosure)
    American Bullfrog
    Blanchard's Cricket Frog
    Gulf Coast Toad

Safari Portion:
    This portion of the park is accessible only by car and consists of 3 portions, named the Farm Pasture (Full of domestic animals), the Zebra Pasture, and the Serengeti of the South which contains most of these species in the safari area.

Species I was able to locate:
    Ostrich
    Rhea
    Domestic Pig
    Llama
    Domestic Goat
    Yak
    Plains Zebra
    Nubian Ibex
    Pere David's Deer
    Bontebok
    Blackbuck
    Barasingha
    Axis Deer
    Fallow Deer
    Addra Gazelle
    Scimitar-horned Oryx
    Asian Water Buffalo
    Giant Eland

2. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

How many hippos does the zoo have exactly? Any word on where they came from?

3. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

This is a newly-opened zoo, and they have all of these species?! That's incredible! Rare Scimitar-horned oryx! Was this zoo already existing under another name? How could they get this many endangered species just starting out?

4. d1am0ndback

There were only 2 but I believe there are plans to bring more in. I have no idea where they came from.

5. d1am0ndback

I don't know the specifics of how the animals were acquired and when but this zoo is completely new and everything on site was freshly constructed. In fact, some parts of the zoo were still under construction such as the aviary where plants were still being planted.

6. AmbikaFan

Wow! Some people in high places must have great faith in them!

7. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just about every ranch in Texas can get Scimitar pretty easily. Private owners are also breeding large numbers of Bongo. There are several ranches in Texas with more Eastern Bongo than are in the Wild.

Pleistohorse and AmbikaFan like this.
  8. AmbikaFan

The scimitars are highly endangered in the wild, so I didn't know they were doing quite so well in human care. The Bronx, NZP's off-campus site, and Six Flags Great Adventure all near me have pretty sizeable herds, but I didn't know they had become practically "garden variety"! What are their in-captivity numbers estimated to be worldwide!

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sure about Giant elands, I thought these were very rare even in AZA institutions.

AmbikaFan likes this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

A quick google says a couple of thousand in breeding programmes, and an estimate of between 5000 and 10,000 for the captive total (the majority on ranches outside of zoo programmes).

Pleistohorse and AmbikaFan like this.
  11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wow, what an incredible collection, especially for a zoo that just opened! I've bolded the rarities.

AmbikaFan likes this.
  12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Water Buffalo are rare? :confused:

They are even farmed in the USA.

jayjds2 likes this.
  13. AmbikaFan

Those are fairly solid numbers! Are any being returned to the wild?

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are actually quite rare in zoos, surprisingly.

15. AmbikaFan

Yes, only one site for the western and three for the Eastern. For those who like trivia, Hollywood legend William Holden discovered African wildlife in the 1950s on a trip to Kenya. By the mid 60's, he had purchased 1800 acres of land devoted solely to conservation. He spoke of the eland more than any other species--I guess back then, there were still eland in Kenya. When he died and left a large bequest to the foundation, his longtime partner Stefanie Powers ("Hart to Hart") created The William Holden Wildlife Foundation. A man ahead of his time, although now sadly, very few probably recognize the names of either Holden or Powers to bring in donors. Kenya seems to have no eland, but supposedly there would still be those bred on this conservation center.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2019
  16. AbileneBoy

AbileneBoy Well-Known Member

I went to Aggieland Safari last month, and here is what I observed:

In general, I found this more impressive than any non-AZA facility in TX I have been too. I thought the cages were fairly decent and clean, and most of the animals looked safe from harassment by the public, so this place is so very, very superior to the abominable conditions at Alvin. The drive-through areas were of course spacious and most of the outdoor cages, as well as the aviary, though of simple design, were as spacious (or more) than their counterparts at AZA zoos in TX. Some were even larger. The hippo exhibit, which they told me was an enclosed natural pond, was very impressive. The binturong has both an indoor and outdoor exhibit, and can be relocated depending on weather. The indoor exhibits were less impressive: the vasa parrot, plantain squirrel, and turaco certainly were being kept in unduly small cages. rather than in a proper aviary. I also thought the spider monkey cage lemur island looked rather small for such mobile species.

The open-air and indoor exhibits in the walk-through area were well labeled, which I LOVED. However, most of the birds in the aviary were unsigned, despite the fact these were some of the rarest species in the entire place! However, I took some photos and very detailed notes on their appearance and have some experience as a birdwatcher, and was able to go home and figure out their species. I am glad I found this post, as I thought I was going insane...based on features I had written down in my notebook, I was sure I was seeing some VERY real pheasants that I could NOT bee seeing, and turns out I absolutely was. But if you have something that rare, Aggieland, PLEASE put up a sign and brag! Also, note the drive-thru area lacked any type of species guide and has extensive wooded areas (and it was HOT!), so I may have failed to see any animals that ARE actually present in the drive-through area.

Here is a complete compiled mammal-and-bird species list based on the above list, the website, and what I saw, with notes on what seemed to be missing. Sorry, I didn't keep track of which reptiles I saw in the indoor area. I have broken the list down by general taxonomy, and then by whether or not I was able to locate and see the species.

=BOVIDS=
    *note--most of these species were in the drive-through area*
    1. addax
    2. banteng
    3. bison
    4. blackbuck (didn't see)
    5. bongo (didn't see)
    6. bontebok (didn't see)
    7. dama gazelle (addra type); at least some are in walk-thru outdoor cage.
    8. giant eland (didn't see)
    9. goat ("West African pygmy" breed)
    10. Grant's gazelle
    11. ?kudu?; unsigned in walk-thru outdoor cage next to giraffes
    12. lowland anoa
    13. nilgai (didn't see)
    14. Nubian ibex [baby kept separate, in petting zoo]
    14. ox ("Watusi" breed)
    16. red lechwe; at least some are in walk-thru outdoor cage
    17. scimitar oryx
    18. water buffalo
    19. white-bearded gnu
    20. "Watusi" ox
    21. yak
    22. zebu

=CERVIDS=
    *note--most of these species were in the drive-through area, and I saw several at distance without binoculars (I'll remember next time!), so I may have seen more types than I realized*
    23. axis deer
    24. barasingha
    25. fallow deer
    26. Pere David's deer (seen in both the drive-through and walk-through areas; according to a worker, "these are the oldest deer we know about, going back to Biblical times"--I found this claim rather peculiar, and I think the worker may not realize they are not named after KING David)
    27. Reeve's muntjac (didn't see, but I assume in the walk-through area)

=CAMELIDS=
    *note--out of my peripheral vision I think I glimpsed a Bactrian camel; all these species are seen in the drive-through????*
    28. alpaca
    29. llama
    30. dromedary

=RODENTS=
    *note--all these species are in the walk-through areas; according to the signage and an employee, the agouti IS on exhibit in the out-door aviary, but is very shy and likes to hide under the bridge; the capybara pen is outdooers; the squirrel cage is indoors*
    31. African crested porcupine
    32. Brazilian agouti (didn't see)
    33. capybara
    34. lowland paca (didn't see)
    35. plaintain squirrel

=PRIMATES=
    *note--all these species are in out-door exhibits that could use enlarging and enrichment*
    36. black-headed spider monkey
    37. bonnet macaque
    38. Guianan squirrel monkey
    39. Japanese snow macaque
    40. Patas monkey
    41. ring-tailed lemur42. Sulawesi black macaque
    43. white-handed gibbon (didn't see)

=CARNIVORA=
    *note--all these species are in out-door exhibits, although the binturong is kept in an in-door exhibit when the weather gets very hot, as when I visited; note I did not see a crab-eating raccoon sign nor was it present on the walk-through map, and I suspect this is no longer on exhibit*
    44. binturong
    45. crab-eating raccoon (didn't see)
    46. Eurasian red fox ("silver" breed)
    47. fennec fox (didn't see)
    48. kinkajou (didn't see; new exhibit being built)
    49. tayra

==MARSUPIALS==
    *note: kept in out-door walk-through exhibits; I suspect the parma wallaby is no longer kept and has been replaced by the red-necked*
    50. parma wallaby (didn't see)
    51. red-necked wallaby
    52. red kangaroo
    53. tammar wallaby

=SWINE=
    *note: kept in out-door walk-through exhibits*
    54. common warthog
    55. hog ("Guinea forest" breed)
    56. red river hog (with piglets!)

==EQUIDS=
    *note: kept in drive-through*
    57. Grevy's zebra
    58. plains zebra (subspecies not signed)
    59. wild ass (Somali type)

=OTHER MAMMALS=
    *note: giraffe and hippo in out-door cages in walk-thru; tamandua in indoor cage*
    60. northern tamandua
    61. reticulated giraffe
    62. river hippo

=PARROTS=
    *note: kept in indoor exhibits*
    63. blue-and-gold macaw
    64. budgerigar
    65. cockatiel
    66. coconut lorikeet (green-naped type)
    67. Fischer's lovebird (didn't see)
    68. greater Vasa parrot
    69. rosy-faced lovebird

=DOVES=
    *note: the diamond dove was in the indoor area but the pigeon was in the out-door aviary*
    70. diamond dove
    71. pigeon ("fantail" breed)

=GALLIFORM GROUNDFOWL=
    *note: most of these are unsigned and in the aviary, but the silver pheasant is kept in an out-door exhibit with the alpaca!; note that the curassow are not at all shy and will sit on a rail within reaching distance, though I was respectful enough not to touch; however, the two species of peacock-pheasants are fairly shy and like to spend a lot of time under the bridge, and it is worth spending some time in the aviary to get a chance to spot them--I revisited the aviary twice and saw both of these species, firsts for me!*
    72. blue peafowl
    73. California quail
    74. Germaine's peacock-pheasant
    75. golden pheasant (didn't see)
    76. great curassow
    77. northern bobwhite quail (looked leucistic?)
    78. northern helmeted curassow
    79. silver pheasant
    80. Sumatran peacock pheasant

=ANATIFORM WATERFOWL=
    *note: most of these are unsigned, in the out-door aviary or in the out-door capybara cage*
    81. bar-headed goose
    82. black swan
    83. cackling goose
    84. Canada goose
    85. common shelduck
    86. Egyptian goose
    87. Eurasian wigeon (didn't see)
    88. garganey (didn't see)
    89. goose (one of the European domestic breeds)
    90. hooded merganser (didn't see)
    91. marbled teal (didn't see)
    92. Muscovy duck (wild type)
    93. northern shoveler
    94. Raja shelduck
    95. rosybill pochard
    96. wood duck

=RATITES=
    *note--these are in the drive-thru*
    97. emu
    98. greater rhea (didn't see)
    99. ostrich

=RAILS=
    *note--these are in the out-door aviary and are both unsigned*
    100. giant wood rail
    101. grey-headed swamphen

=OTHER BIRDS=
    *note--the cranes are in an out-door exhibit in the walk-through, the turaco is indoors*
    102. grey crown crane; in the walk-through
    103. red-crested turaco

17. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Which collection holds Western giant eland. Does anyone know of other zoos in the US with Grey-headed swamphens, Plantain squirrels, Greater vasa parrots, or Bronze-tailed peacock-pheasants?

18. d1am0ndback

@AbileneBoy Wow they added a lot since my visit! I visited less than a month after they opened! I may have missed many of the hoofstock due to the same reasons you mentioned but I was very meticulous about the birds and can provide photos of some such as the Garganey. Giant Wood Rail is quite the surprise! That has me very excited! The curassow were rather shy for me but the swamphens were hanging around on the boardwalk and being quite friendly. Upon my visit the Silver Pheasants were in the main aviary. At first the peacock-pheasants remained quite elusive however the Bronze-tailed eventually emerged into the open sunlight providing me with fantastic photos of them! Germaine's never left under the bridge but I got a fairly clear view of it from afar.

@drill The Tampa Zoo has a species signed as Purple Swamphen which I believe may be Grey-headed. I know the San Antonio Zoo recently had Greater Vasa so it is possible they may still hold them, but the vasas on exhibit I was told are Lesser. The Plaintain Squirrels I have never heard of being in another zoo in the US, however I have seen them for sale on exotic animals for sale, which may be the source of these animals (And perhaps the Crab-eating Raccoon). I know there are Bronze-tailed Peacock-pheasants in private trade around the US but I have never heard of any being around in zoos so I was shocked when I read the signage for them in the aviary.

drill likes this.
  19. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are tons of Common eland in Kenya, but 0 Giant eland and Giant eland have never occured in Kenya, at least in recent times.

AmbikaFan likes this.
  20. AmbikaFan

I was wrong--thought White Oaks in Yulee, FL had westerns. Apologies.