Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo new animals for south australian zoos....

Discussion in 'Australia' started by patrick, 21 Mar 2005.

1. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

according to ISIS, there have been quite a few acquisitions of new species by zoos south australia lately.

two male black and white colobus and a female spotted hyaena for monarto and a male binturong for adelaide.

the zoos south australia website i currently being re-developed and there is no info there, but does anyone know anything of this?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I've asked my Dad for more info on the new animals at Adelaide and Monarto zoos - he's going to see what he can find out.

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I am your adelaide vorrespondent, well sorta i have connections, at the moment Monarto has in Quarintine (to the best of my knowledge)
    B & W collubus,
    Spotted Hyena,
    and a female Bongo, for adelaide.

at adelaide in Quarintine and coming soon are,
    Asian Golden Cats,
    White Cheeked Gibbon

and coming soon are
    komodo Dragons
    Dhole
    Lesser Malay Mouse Deer
    and the gorillas, thats all for me now, will post more after i speak to Jan (co-ordinator of volunteers)

4. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Wow, thats a nice list of animals and a female Bongo too, at last, this will help boost their numbers in the country.

5. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

G/day, zoo youth Ambbassaor, good to have your input on things from SA, have you heard anything about the Black rhinos for Monarto zoo?.

6. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

thts great , were did the hyeana come from , and wht other zoos in oz and nz have them

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

zoo boy, ( I think ) Perth zoo might have them?>

8. Zoo_Boy

kool , so is adelaide or monarto now gonna keep them on a permentant basis and breed them or get more

9. patrick

interesting stuff.

i know melbourne and perth are working together to get the B & W colobus breeding program kickstarted again. unfortunately the two zoo's strated out with two different subspecies and thus now the australian population is made up of these two varieties and hybrids. i believe perth has sent it's males to monarto so it can import some new bloodlines to breed with it's females. melboure currently have a breeding group and the national zoo have a breeding pair and their female offspring.

i have wondered much over where this monarto hyena came from. as far as i were aware, perth is the only zoo to hold a pair and i had assumed they had never bred as no other zoo had them. then suddenly a female popped up at monarto on isis, yet no DEH records showed an import.

a female bongo for adelaide sounds great. but in reality all our bongo are related to just 3 animals. we need a zoo to import at least a fresh pair to get a healthy breeding program operating in the short term.

gorillas at adelaide? surely this is a long term plan?

steveroberts likes this.
  10. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Where did the bongo come from? Is she one born at Taronga in last couple of years? In which case that would make her a sister of the one already at Adelaide. Melbourne zoo has just recently had a Colobus born, the male was from perth.
    Good to see so many new people contributing to the forum. Almost makes me interested enough to start up my wensite again.
    Jason

11. Zoo_Boy

gday jay , the female bongos born at taronga re out at dubbo now , dubbo has 5 bongo , i adult male , 2 females , 1 sub adult female and a new male calf .

12. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Well the hyena was from info at isis, the black rhinos will be coming soon, nt sure when,

and gorillas unfortuanatly are not on teh Adelaide Master Plan as of yet

13. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Black rhino

G/day all, Is their any news from where the Blacks are coming from and how many, this great news,:cool:

14. patrick

"vinnie" the hyena

i still want more information regarding this female spotted hyena at monarto.
    the image posted in onother thread was great, but where is this "other zoo" that closed down? perth seem to have never bred their animals and i assume monarto do not intend on pairing up this female either (but maybe she's old).
    it's a pity, hyenas are very interesting animals because they are very large carnivores but are not actually a dog at all.

i would like to see them stay in australia as representatives of a group of very unique animals.

15. Zoo_Boy

i say it was a research facility of some kind, i have seen some footage on a abc childrens program called creature features , it had some hyeana, not sure if australian but there was a lot of hyeana in large fenced off enclopusures.

16. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yes i would love to know what zoo shut down for vinnie to end up there

17. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Ben,
    Could you ask someone at Adelaide zoo to put up on their website a bit more ZOO NEWS about new animals and other general news, it would also seem that the animal list they have at the Monarto zoo website needs some up dating as well. cheers.

18. patrick

promoting themselves better...

yeah too right. - only perth and melbourne zoos reguarly update their websites. taronga zoo is pretty slack only updating it once every six months or so with everything that has happened in that time. but adelaide zoo is downright pathetic! the old website was not updated at for practically two years and then they (so slowly) created a new website - but included a whole bunch of out-dated info from the old one! the monarto website doesn't even mention any of the rhino, lions, wild dogs, etc. it has no park map, no photographs, never any news of new births or anything.

do they realise that the internet is a valuable tool for people who want a more in-depth look at the zoo? many people actually want to know about individual animal histories and it helps to create that sense of community-ownership that a zoo wants and needs to survive. its one of the things that has worked so well for melbourne, with people in the 80's and 90's going to the zoo not to just see gorillas - but to see mzuri in particular. they where devestated when he left for jersey, but a big media campaign and and even a TV special, assured the melbourne public it was in his best interest.

when yakini the gorilla was born he had a childrens book created about him and i have seen it in many a childrens bookshelf.

the zoo has since been successful in promoting the elephants in the same way with the new exhibit featuring the elephant's names plastered on everything from the cafe to the giftshop.

it really works.

19. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Well said Pat, I agree with you 100% on that, I go to many world zoo websites and a lot of them are very good, some of ours are pretty slack I cant be that hard to update the sites, can it??????????.

20. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

ohh i will pass the message on the only thing is the women who does the website works once a week, and is also the marketing manger, the zoo is very poor, MOnarto how ever is very odd, they never tell even us Society members anything, i am lucky to know what i know