Join our zoo community

New Aquarium in Syracuse

Discussion in 'United States' started by CuseZoofan, 4 Oct 2021.

1. CuseZoofan

CuseZoofan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

McMahon proposes $85M aquarium at Syracuse’s Inner Harbor

Onondaga County executive Ryan McMahon today proposed a new $85 Million aquarium in the inner harbor of Syracuse NY. They are saying it will be three times the size of similar facilities like the New England Aquarium.

I personally am excited for this and hope all goes well and to plan, we need more of these types of attractions in Central New York

BigNate, TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Consider this quote from the article:
    "The exact design of the aquarium is still to be determined. But Ted Fox, the director of the county’s Rosamond Gifford Zoo at Burnet Park, said it would have about 600,000 gallons of water -- about three times the amount at the New England Aquarium in Boston, which draws 1.3 million visitors a year."
    And then this:
    "If approved, construction could start in late 2022 and the aquarium could open by late 2023"
    So an large aquarium that hasn't yet begun design work will open in about 1 year? \
    That would be an impressive feat! (And would dash my hopes that it would be a great aquarium)
    Of course a" $85 million aquarium"does not promise to be a great one

Last edited: 4 Oct 2021
    TinoPup likes this.
  3. CuseZoofan

CuseZoofan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe this has already been planned to some degree, they were doing research for about a year and this is actually revitalizing an old plan from years ago. Most likely this is them making an announcement in order to approve the funding necessary to build it.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Well the earlier proposed aquarium never was designed either so it's not like they have plans sitting in a drawer that they can put out to bid.even if they did, I'd expect up to three years from awarding construction contract to opening day.
    I don't wish to squelch your excitement but these promises are unlikely to be kept.

nczoofan likes this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another one of those "believe it when I see it" situations, I think.