Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo new arrivals at werribee

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 30 May 2011.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Werribee has plans to place the Servals on exhibit? I was disappointed to not see them at Melbourne on my visit but they were not on display at Werribee, so that still leaves Servals on my list of animals to see. I understand they are used for encounters but ISIS lists Melbourne as having about 4 animals, so couldn't they send some to Werribee if Werribee's three females cannot go on display?

3. animal kid

animal kid Well-Known Member

The herald sun had a double page feature on werribee's new vet hospital yesterday, with the offcial opening today. It said that the hospital will allow for werribee to care for many more animals including smaller ones, so hopefully we will see some new arrivals at werribee very soon.

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Melbourne Zoo has them on display in two separate enclosures along the small cat path. If you go towards the end of the day they're usually quite active.

5. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are intended as educational/special experience animals, I don't think they will be put on display anytime soon. It's annoying, but that's the way it is.

Whereabouts in Sydney are you? Perhaps Batemans Bay/Mogo would be a good overnight trip for your family. Mogo would add, I'm guessing, lar gibbons, Pygmy marmosets and servals to your lifetime species list. Unfortunately they do have a lot of overlap with past or present Taronga species, bit that's Australian zoo-going for you.

6. Jabiru96

Maybe that is the reason why. I went around lunch time so they might have been in the shade at the back of the exhibit, probably out of view.

7. Jabiru96

I am in the western Sydney area. I might be going to the National Zoo and Aquarium (only for a weekend or overnight visit to Canberra if I do), so it looks not too far away. How far do you think it will be from Canberra?

8. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's about 150km through the mountains. The road is a very tough drive. Don't know that your parents would be too keen.

9. Jabiru96

Maybe I will pass then, at leaast until I am older and can drive! :D

Anyway, back to the original topic, Ajali the giraffe has been on exhibit (with the other giraffes, rhino, eland, zebra and ostrich) for almost a month now. There is a picture of him with the other giraffes on WORZ's website, he is almost half the size of one of the large males!