Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo New Arrivals

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 9 Oct 2010.

Tags:
  1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

On 3 October 2010, two male Mishmi Takin (Budorcas taxicolor taxicolor) arrived from Helsinki, Finland. Adrian and Arnold were both born in 2008.

2. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

They are lovely animals. Will post some pictures from our visit to Paignton last Wednesday.

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes, I was quite taken with the Takin too.
    :eek:

4. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Wow! What an exciting edition! Which paddock are they in? (the old bison enclosure by any chance?) cheers

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The photo in the gallery shows them in the old Barbary Sheep paddock next to the camels. :)

6. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

I have a good feeling that the Takin will form part of a new Himalayan exhibit on the site of the Hamadryas Baboon Rock once their new enclosure is built. I'm hoping they will use the bird paddock behind the Baboons (a lovely space that is currently used for Emu's and Peafowl!) and take the theming all the way up to the Red Panda's? The Celebe's Macaque House could then be used for Langur's and the rock itself be extended for Snow Leopards?

7. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

They are currently in the old sheep paddock. TriGB for that to happen the Zoo either need to win the lottery or have a very rich benefactor. They have got hardly any of the money need to give the Baboons a new enclosure, let alone make all the changes that would be required for Snow Leopards etc.

I have uploaded two photographs of them in the Paignton Gallery. Not the best shots.

8. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Yeah, fair enough! Guess those days are over for a while eh! If I do win 'the ticket', I'd sponsor it......

9. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

It would be lovely to see something like that t Paignton. Sadly I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

From the local 'Herald Express' 13/10/10:

Oh brother! Zoo welcomes a pair of woolly jumpers

A HAIRY Himalayan goat with a background rooted in legend and mythology is making itself at home in Paignton Zoo.

Two young male takin have come to Paignton Zoo from Helsinki Zoo in Finland.

They are shaggy-coated ruminants from the Himalayas. They are known to stand on their hind legs to feed, which is thought could lead to them being mistaken for strange beasts like the abominable snowman.

Their pelt is thought to have been the golden fleece sought by Jason in Greek mythology.

A zoo spokesman said: "The takin is in any case a pretty strange beast.

"It has horns like a wildebeest, a nose like a moose, a tail like a bear and a body like a bison, but is not closely related to any of these.

"It has short legs, big, curving horns and thick, shaggy fur that can be yellow to reddish brown.

"It is believed that the golden fleece sought by Jason in Greek mythology was the pelt of a golden takin.

"According to legend, a 15th century Lama created the takin from the bones of a cow and the head of a goat."

Takin are known to be nimble and capable of jumping high from a stand so the zoo put in additional stock-proof fencing up to three metres tall in preparation for their arrival.

Ghislaine Sayers, zoo head vet, said: "They are inquisitive and like hay, apples and carrots.

"They are a real double act. They are hairy and bouncy. They are the original woolly jumpers."

The pair are brothers who are two and a half years old.

A male can stand about 120 centimetres at the shoulders and a female around 105 centimetres.

The zoo says female takin are possible in the future but unlikely as there are very few of the species in European zoos, perhaps only at two others apart from Paignton and Helsinki.

Although the takin is the national animal of Bhutan it is hunted for meat and threatened by habitat destruction. It is ranked in conservation circles as 'vulnerable'.

11. Maguari

Poor research strikes again - 'only two others'?

Highland, Marwell, Berlin, Brno, Antwerp, Wroclaw, Frankfurt, Wuppertal, Augsburg...

EDIT: Just checked Zootierliste and there are 26 zoos in Europe with Mishmi Takins (a handful keep Szechuans and Goldens as well).

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Perhaps we can be a bit more optimistic about females in the future than the local paper is then!

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Wattled Cranes

Paignton has acquired a pair of Wattled Cranes from Paradise Park. They were both hatched in 1984, the male in the UK and the female in Germany, and have not yet bred. They are in the enclosure formerly housing Sarus Cranes, just below the Red Panda/Spider Monkey area.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If they came from the Paradise Park at Hayle, I remember seeing a pair there several times in the late 'eighties. This would presumably(?) be the same pair. Hayle do well with breeding so its perhaps surprising this pair haven't bred by the age of 26, but Cranes are pretty long-lived so there's still time probably.

I believe some Wattled Cranes can be very aggressive to people.

15. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Apparently, these two 'seem quite good natured'. There's a photo of them next to a keeper on the website, and he's just holding a bucket!

Last edited: 24 Nov 2010
  16. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I saw wattled cranes at Paignton in 1994.

17. Pertinax

According to ISIS, Hayle have more than one pair (currently listed as 3.2, so now 2.1) so I suspect this pair may be their original non-breeders? A change of surroundings or an enclosure they like better could help stimulate them though (unless its a fertility problem).

The only others of this species in UK are one pair each at Chester & Whipsnade.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A change of scene and exhibit might just do the trick.

19. Maguari

Blackbrook also have them (unless things have changed very recently!)

http://www.zoochat.com/192/wattled-crane-blackbrook-zoo-13-november-188259/

20. Pertinax

Yes, I forgot Blackbrook :eek:- they must have the best Crane collection in UK?