Join our zoo community

New BBC natural history documentary commissions

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Crowthorne, 25 Sep 2017.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The BBC have announced some new commissions of natural history documentaries, one if which will be of real interest to Zoochatters

BBC - BBC announces a new line-up of Natural History commissions - Media Centre

Giant Panda, Brum and Tim May like this.
  2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Sarus Crane and Tim May like this.
  3. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Again many thanks to "Crowthorne" for bringing this television programme to my attention.

The sad story of Jumbo has, of course, been told many times before but the recent analysis of Jumbo's skeleton in the American Museum of Natural History enabled the programme to provide some fresh insights to this familiar tale.

If you missed the programme when it was broadcast yesterday it's worth watching on the BBC iPlayer.

London Zoo acquired Jumbo (in exchange) from the Jardin des Plantes Menagerie so I was surprised that the programme made no mention of Jumbo's time in Paris.

Brum and Crowthorne like this.
  4. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I found Attenborough & The Giant Elephant on YouTube!

5. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was also surprised that the whole documentary was pretty much one sided with the fact that even though Jumbo did not live the best life possible for an elephant neither Attenborough or his colleagues acknowledged the fact that without Jumbo so many people wouldn't be able to appreciate how amazing the African Elephant is as a species. He was pretty much the father of African Elephants in captivity and in the long term inspired the passion and conservation for the species that continues today. I thought it was pretty cool though that he had the potential to become larger. He may have grown to have been "Fenykovi" sized if given the right nutrition. On an end note, I would say if you want to get into Jumbo's overall health and physical condition watch this, however if you want all ends of the story read Paul Chamber's superb book "Jumbo: This Being the True Story of the Greatest Elephant in the World". I read it back in 2010 and it was such a great read. I'm glad I read the book before watching the doc.

6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree with you; Jumbo: the Greatest Elephant in the World (Paul Chambers; 2007) is an excellent book. I also recommend Jumbo (W. P. Jolly; 1976) although, sadly, I cannot recommend Jumbo: The Unauthorised Biography of a Victorian Sensation (John Sutherland; 2014).

For further discussion on books about Jumbo see the thread below:-
    ZSL London Zoo - New book about "Jumbo"

Crowthorne and Chlidonias like this.