Join our zoo community

new book about Adelaide Zoo's elephant history

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Chlidonias, 10 Jun 2016.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Elephants and Egotists- In search of Samorn of the Adelaide Zoo by Patricia Sumerling.

Published by Wakefield Press: Wakefield Press :: History :: Elephants and Egotists (the first ten pages can be pre-viewed on this site)

And available also through Adelaide Zoo of course: Elephants and Egotists- In search of Samorn of the Adelaide Zoo Patricia Sumerling - Zoos SA

Last edited: 10 Jun 2016
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The book is short (only 208 pages) but it does appear to be an interesting slice of zoological history and there is even a photo of an 1898 map of Adelaide Zoo in the extract that is supplied online. Unfortunately the zoo does not ship to Canadian addresses, and while Wakefield Press will ship overseas the cost of doing so is an outrageous $40.

3. Wakefield

Wakefield New Member

Hi snowleopard and all -- the book can be ordered via The Book Depository in your country and they deliver I believe with free postage. Unfortunately we cannot get the shipping rates that enable us to do this. Shipping costs from Australia are indeed outrageous. So we encourage customers outside Australia to use The Book Depository, whose service seems terrific (and they generally give a discount as well as free freight). It is an interesting book!

4. snowleopard

@Wakefield: Thanks very much for the information in regards to The Book Depository. The publication Elephants & Egotists is only $22 Canadian and there is free shipping and so that means it is time for me to start shopping!

5. snowleopard

I just finished reading the book and while it was not told in a strictly chronological fashion and is far too short (178 pages and including approximately 45 photos/images) I thoroughly enjoyed purchasing it for my collection. There is a lot of detail in regards to the elephants that spent time at Adelaide Zoo, some serious allegations against Sir Ed Hallstrom (the legendary Taronga Zoo director) in regards to wildlife trafficking charges, and a quasi-history of Adelaide Zoo with quite a bit of information in regards to ex-directors and the controversies of the day. A mixed bag but a book that I'd highly recommend nonetheless.