Join our zoo community

New Bristol Zoo book in 2018 - The Wild Within

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Crowthorne, 19 Dec 2017.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

snowleopard and Tim May like this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the information...cheers!

Crowthorne likes this.
  3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whilst most new zoo books are welcome (to some extent or other) from the description this sounds a little too much like the recent Through The Lion Gate (on Berlin) for my tastes -though I'd love to be proved wrong.

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I think this is the chap who spoke at Zoohistorica when it was in Bristol, a few years ago. What struck me, listening to him speak, was that despite his undoubted academic credentials, there wasn’t a passionate interest in the zoo itself - rather, in what it stood for (or could be said to stand for). This sentence, from the blurb, doesn’t fill me with optimism: “The multifaceted beasts and protean people in The Wild Within challenge a host of assumptions--both within and outside the zoo--about what it means to be human or animal in the modern world.” Given that there is already an excellent chronicle of Bristol’s history available, this new tome may not be an essential read.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

For a given value of the word "available" given the fact that the excellent Illustrated History of Bristol Zoo Gardens has been out of print for some time and is pretty damn pricey when it pops up on the second-hand market.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This looks to me like some sort of anthropological-type study of historic animal/human relations within a Zoo and just happening to be using Bristol Zoo as the model.